Ratings for Dr. Thomas S. Loftus

Minimally invasive? What a joke. Dr. Loftus is focused on one thing....MONEY. Patient care isn't remotely a concern. Prior to surgery for a spinal cord stimulator, we discussed and I consented to the implantation of one device. Two weeks post-op, I found out from the company rep that I hadn't received what we discussed, he didn't bother to tell me. Once he found out I knew what he did and that I was (understandably) pissed, he called me to say the facility wasn't "certified" to use that device and asked if I was going to sue him. He didn't ask or care how I was doing, he just wanted to try to protect himself because he's been sued before. I later found out that he sent me to that facility (Northwest Hills Surgical Hospital) because he's a part owner, which by law he must disclose, but didn't. He also didn't install the intended device, not because they weren't "certified", but because the facility hadn't agreed on pricing for it, so he wasn't sure how much he'd be paid. He also took a serious shortcut by removing FOUR of my lamina from my spine, rather than taking the time to properly remove scar tissue. He also lied on his operative report about the unnecessary laminectomies. The implant eventually migrated out of the epidural space because he didn't properly install it. For months, I experienced EXTREME pain in my back during which time I lost my job. He's currently under investigation by the Texas Medical Board for violations of the Anti-Kickback law. To read the claim for yourself, visit their website, click on "Look Up A License", then type in his name and you'll find a PDF of the report. You can also read the story in the Statesman (can't post the link, but just Google Dr. Loftus Statesmen). He also receives THOUSANDS of dollars each year by "whoring" himself out to various medical companies. His greed is shameless. As we're both Aggies, I trusted him because REAL Aggies follow the Honor Code: "Aggies don't lie, cheat, or steal nor tolerate those who do". I think all he does is lie, cheat, and steal, and like a sociopath, I don't believe he feels any empathy. He's a disgrace to Texas A&M, to Austin, and to medical practitioners who put patient care first. When you're trusting your spine to someone, DO NOT trust Dr. Loftus.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2017

Same story as others. Two level fusion gonna be a home run. Work with terrible electrical shocks down both legs that lasted 2 months. Rolling in bed at home begging to die. Lost over 20lbs. Then no explaination. Pain stayed at 7 with strong narcotics and then leaped to suicide level a year out. Now looking at second surgery to correct work done improperly. They may be friendly & all smiles but RUN! Do not allow him to do a fusion on you! They will act like nothing is wrong! All in your head and surgery was a success. AND he does not accept Medicare payment and wants his money up front. Wonder why????? Find someone competent- Dr Dryer comes to mind!!!!!!!!!!

flag | Submitted August 9, 2017

An egotistical incompetent lying liar who lies. DO NOT TRUST!

flag | Submitted October 20, 2016

I had surgery over 7 years ago for a c4 neck fusion. It was a disastrous. When i woke up it felt like some one had hit my funny bones on both arms with a 10lb sledge hammer. Most of that is pain I am still living with today. Spinal cord swelling I was told by Dr. Loftus. He referred me to a pain specialist and didn't seem to care for any follow up. He was very nice all the way up to that time and then acted like nothing went wrong. I would never recommend him to anyone, just because of the way he treated me post op much less acting like he was above any mishaps or mistakes.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2015

Dr. Lotus was kind and patient with me until I had surgery. When I still had pain after surgery he was less that understanding. I woke up in excruciating pain and the recovery room nurses were scrambling trying to find me something to ease my pain. Dr. Lotus barely acknowledged the problem when I had a follow up visit. He made it sound in his notes that I was making up the pain I was having . He wanted to do a procedure that would be painful. I didn't want him to touch me. Just recently my pain management doctor read an MRI that I had done post op. It should o we'd that he had dropped or placed cement in my spinal column and it was on a nerve bunch. She said that it was very likely that this was the cause of my constant pain. I would look for another doctor whoever is reading this. He doesn't care about anything but getting paid. If you have complications, too bad. He won't admit he might have done harm to me. He just blew me off and treated me like I was just trying to get pain meds. Well thanks to him I will be in pain management the rest of my life.

flag | Submitted January 1, 2015

As a Disabled Vet, I first started seeing Dr Loftus and his Staff in 2009. Then my wife was involved in an auto crash. After many calls to his office, I was informed that my wife would have to be brought to their office. I informed the entire Staff that my wife was in severe pain from multiple pelvic fractures, unable to walk or stand and still required a bed pan, to which they replied it would not bother “them”. It became clear that the Staff was treating my wife as a number and more interested in her insurance than causing her more pain and humiliation by bring her to a public office in a vulnerable state. At one point the male PA contacted me and proceeded to explain how I did not understand the process for a true Neurologist exam and basically in the most condescending matter stated I was to “over protective”.Here you will be treated as a number, with very little respect or dignity and it will be on their terms and not yours, regardless of its affect on you or your loved ones.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2013

Thank you Dr. Loftus. I have never had a better surgical experience than with you (and I have had some surgery). I had c-spine fusion. Some of the processes seemed slow because you go through an RN first (Sara is great!). Then there's physical therapy, the pain management (i.e., spinal injections). Once you go through everything though the timing to actually have the surgery happened quickly (within 2 weeks from decision). I personally appreciated the conservative approach to jumping into surgery (exhausting every option prior to) but it does get painful during the process leading up to surgery. The office staff is what you'd expect in a professional office.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2012

flag | Submitted January 23, 2012

Dr. Loftus is kind and up on the most recent procedures and knowledgable of the spinal conditions and long term complications and the techniques to deal with them. He also has relationships with other physicians that can assist with the multi modal care needed in the treatment of spinal problems. He did my fusion and it allowed me to walk again and corrected my structural problem.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2009

Dr. Loftus is a very patient friendly & understanding doctor to patients searching for answers & support within a very complex system of neurologically related pain issues. He is very competent, reasonable and respectful of patient needs. I have had two spinal procedures performed by Dr. Loftus and I feel that I benefited greatly in one and moderately in another. Patients need to know that neuro-surgery is not a end all be all to every spine related ailment and that sometimes the best we can hope to achieve is to achieve relief when practical and in my experience, Dr. Loftus is a top notch professional with the needed expertiese to handle the majority of neurologically based ailments. As well, his bed side manner is among the best you will find out there in a world of surgeons limited in patient skills.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2009

Dr. Thomas S. Loftus's Credentials

• University Of Texas Southwestern Medical School At Dallas (Grad. 1997)