Ratings for Dr. Elly Bhuyan

Asks the same three questions every time we go in (directed at the parent) and then writes the same prescription for another 3 months. She doesn't take the time to interact with my child to get a true picture of how she is feel or reacts. We are in and out of her office in 5 minutes.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2014

Worst psychiatrist I've ever been to. Never even knew my name the entire time I was a patient.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2012

I saw Dr. Buhyan between the ages of 14 and 16. She never asked me questions directly, she only asked my father. She diagnosed me with bi polar and medicated me such that I gained over 40 lbs, my behavior become more eccentric and any preexisting mood changes became exacerbated. My grades, formerly top-notch, declined to below a 2.0 average. Her manner was condescending, brief, and cold, and due to her inability to listen, she continued to prescribe the medication that was inhibiting both my performance and emotional health (in fact, she increased it!). She should have recognized that my issues were not related to bi-polar, but more so related to circumstance. I stopped taking her medication and she informed me that I could not live without it, and I would be back in 4 months. It has now been nearly 3 years and I have experienced exponential growth in regards to emotional maturity. She's too quick to diagnose and pill-push; I would not recommend her to anyone.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2011

We were referred to Dr. Bhuyan by a friend, but we have been VERY disappointed. She diagnosed my daughter as Bi-polar within 15 minutes, did not explain to us what "being bipolar" meant and we left feeling like we were shell-shocked. We have been rushed thru each appointment and trying to get them to call back is almost impossible. She easily prescribes medication, but does not take the time to explain them to you. We will not be going back to her office again, but the sad part is we have wasted 2 months of non-caring, cold shoulder treatment when we should have been getting the care, medication and information we need to help deal with this new situation. I would not recommend Dr. Bhuyan to anyone.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2011

I've been seeing Dr. Bhuyan for over 15 years. She saved my life by treating my severe depression. The first year consisted of trying a couple drugs out at different dosages. She's been very good about not letting too much time go by without seeing me. At the worse, I was on three meds,...now I'm on two different meds for some years now. I think some unsatisfied patients feel she's insympathetic or condescending...but it's not her intention. She's not a counselor or psychologist, she's a psychiatrist who treats illness with medications. I suppose she's the right doctor for myself.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2011

I would not recommend Dr. Bhuyan to anyone. I cannot trust her with my prescriptions, and she has given me too high of a dosage on several occasions. She is condescending and her office always charges me what they should be charging my insurance company. It is very frustrating, and trying to speak to them on the phone is like talking in circles. If I was not crazy before Dr. Bhuyan and her staff, I am now.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2011

Dr. Bhuyan has been extremely helpful with treating my child for Bi-polar as well as ADD. She has been cautious from day one when prescribing medication and dosages. My child has made wonderful progress with her. She is very kind and caring and has always responded to after hours concerns, issues, end crisis situations immediately. She made sure there were rigorous tests and evaluations from many sources before prescribing any medications for my child, and she has been a lifesaver and a true god-send for my family!

flag | Submitted September 20, 2010

Elly Bhuyan so overdrugged me that other psychiatrists made comment. However, I was stupid and trusted her - and was hospitalized against my will. I lost my life savings, and am losing my home. She walked away without even a word.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2010

I think Dr. Bhuyan sounds condescending but I don't think that is her intention. She does try a lot of meds but that is often what has to be done to find the right one. She also took me some more serious meds. She always try the lowest dos. first. I'm not sure why so many complaints abt the RX if you don't want psych meds why would you see a psychiatrist?! P-Docs are not counselors. As someone else said, she is the only Dr. who has stabilized my major depression that have laster over a decade. She is not perfect, but to me she is one of the better ones that I have seen.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2009

I read the other comments, and I agree with most of them. For me though, Dr Bhuyan is good because I knew what I wanted - an antidepressant. I have no problems coming in, answering the same three questions, and getting a new prescription, but that's probably not the way of a good doctor. She did suggest sleeping pills and additional medication, but I have a strong character too. I think she respects me now!

flag | Submitted August 20, 2008

Dr. Elly Bhuyan's Credentials

• Assam Med Coll, Dibrugarh Univ, Dibrugarh, Assam, India (Grad. 1965)

Amerigroup