Ratings for Dr. Anson J. Buttles

Most of Dr. Buttles can't speak for themselves yet, per his staff , he does not like to talk with his patient's families. Our family had never had contact with our dad's physician and wanted to share out dad's wishes for is last days so we kept trying. When Dr. Buttles finally called the first thing he said is "I'm busy, this needs to be quick." I explained that our dad clearly said he didn't want to spend his last days dwindling away in a nursing home, he said "so why are you telling me this." I explained , in keeping with my dad's wishes, we only want we only want Comfort Care but would like his help defining what that would mean for our dad "your dad's doing fine don't make this complicated, what do you want from me." When I asked why they were giving my dad a sedating medication when he sleeps most of the time and is pleasant and calm otherwise he said "old people with dementia sleep a lot, what's the big deal. If I knew I was on trial, I wouldn't have called." When I asked his if it was standard for patient's on Hospice to get antibiotics, he said "No but it is standard for demented patients in nursing homes." Then he said, "if you don't want him to get antibiotics, we'll take him off Hospice" then he hung up on me. When families are facing the end of life they are hurting and they have questions. Dr. Buttles, who is neither geriatric nor Hospice trained has no business working with dying patients.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2014