Ratings for Dr. John G. Desantis

Worse doc ever met. Already had knees replaced 3 years so. Problems sitting severe, bilateral anterior knee pain that just goes up in severity both knees same time. You want to get a hammer and beat on your knee caps. 3 years of chronic pain. Told was back. Year later worse. Go to knew back doctor. He spent 40 minutes just checking me physically. Walking, bending, on my stomach pushing me all over. He already had the MRI. Then he says where is the knee pain. I said my knees. He says no where on your knees. I said nobody ever asked that. It must be my knee caps I want to beat them with a hammer. He says I am 90% it is not your knees. I had a back issue. I caused. I am very limber and between surgeries I would just bend over and pick stuff up. As in 70 pounds. Never felt the pain due to knee pain meds. Anyway. They checked everything, bone scans, neck. Nerve tests. This went on for a year as everything got so much worse. 3 years no sitting, laying on a bed or couch. Finally looking stuff up. Find info on tracking issues Something called Runners knee matches my symptoms. Second knee doctor, found out good friends with first knee doctor. It was so bad I was in pain 24/7. Then we found I was not walking normal now. Therapist see stuff right away. They finally did a CT Scan last October. Bone spurs on upper and lower knee caps. I had zero bone spurs before. I blew out my left knee in 6 months walking dogs. Anyway. Now I refuse to go back to the knee doctor. Pissed their arrogance has caused this now. So much pain. Dec I take the X-ray the knee doctor saw first time Aug 2015. I said would you not question this gap. He takes me over to a treatment table. Puts Kinesiology tape around the knee and up the leg. God it stopped the 24 hour pain. Thank god. Tried sitting a month later. It did nothing for the knee pain. Depressed. But it seriously helped the daily pain now. No question now my knees. So I decide I am going out of town where the knee doctors hopefully do not know each other, work out of same hospital. 5 months to be able to drive to Palm Springs. Had every X-ray all the test, physical therapist notes. I get there filling out more forms. I had already downloaded the forms on line., they take X-rays. Take me to a room. De Santis walks in, goes right passed me to table brings up X-rays. I am explaining history. He stops me says your knees are fine. I was in shock. Tell him about Ct Scan. He gets up says. Your knees are fine, their is nothing I can do. He looked at nothing, did not touch my knees checked nothing. Then I said something about knee caps. He walks over puts is hand on my knee bends it does the other. Says there is nothing I can do they are fine and he was gone. I sat in parking lot crying 30 minutes. Omg. I would give more attention and care to a dying coach roach then this surgeon gave me. At the beginning I told him I was a workaholic, had my own business, 8 employees and now because of this business just closed. He asked what I did. That was what I was saying when he was looking at the X-ray. I gave him the exact date the last time I sat. It was one month after surgery and I had gone on a longer walk with my walker. I was on 6 10 mil of Percocet with this right knee. Only 3 on the left. I was swimming 2 miles a day, in therapy and working out in my pool. 8 months after surgery. I just would not sit. Assumed knee was just slower in tecovery. I can't swim 1/4 of a mile now. Chronic pain. This awful doctor spends less than 5 minutes. I drove 147 miles one way. You could not find a worse doctor if you tried. I was beside myself. 24 hours later I am writing this as I want to cut off my right leg. I got some degree of hope after I read his yelp reviews. He has many clients with the exact same complaint. How can that be. Over 3 years pain, worse than the knee replacement and he blew me off. I found him due to Eisenhower. Reputation. Asked for their best knee doctor. Worse, who diagnoses a knee from an X-ray. No ligaments, muscles, there is tons you can't see. But I guess he can. I have no idea what he was thinking. But he should not be in practice at all. Oh he did ask me if I had tried pain cream. Lol. Beyond incompetent. He should have a zero. The points he did get was for staff and their efforts.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2017

Last week, I was referred to Dr. John G. DeSantis of Desert Orthopedic Center in La Quinta, CA, for evaluation and treatment of severe knee pain accompanied by moderate-to-severe mobility issues. I picked up copies of me MRI's and x-rays and the accompanying written results a couple of days prior to my appointment and saw there were listed on those results several abnormalities I didn't understand. I went to Dr. DeSantis expecting clear explanations of each of those abnormalities, as well as information regarding how I developed those issues, whether they could be reversed or repaired, how they might impact my life in the future, all available treatment options, and advice as to the best course of treatment and/or any lifestyle changes that may improve my quality of life. Dr. DeSantis fell far short of meeting any of those expectations. Upon meeting me, Dr. DeSantis did not seem at all familiar with my case. He took a glance at only one of the three x-rays I'd provided and then ordered two more x-rays to be performed there. After the new x-rays were taken, Dr. DeSantis glanced at those and said, nonchalantly, "You're missing about half the cartilage in your right knee." Without providing any further details about what this meant or how it might progress, he mentioned only three treatment options, ibuprofen, cortisone shots, and total knee replacement. He told me he could do a cortisone injection that day, but that he doubted it would make much difference. I asked what cortisone was and what it did and the only additional information he provided was "It might make it hurt less." I asked for information about the total knee replacement and he said, without any explanation, that he wouldn't consider that for another ten years. When I asked why he wouldn't consider it for another ten years, his response was simply "You don't need it." That conclusion seemed premature to me, since he hadn't asked me any questions about my quality of life, nor even viewed all my tests and their results. I attempted to ask more questions about the total knee replacement, as well as the MRI results that he had neither viewed nor mentioned, but he seemed to have become angry with me. His face reddened, his voice raised, his body posture became aggressive and he began attempting to belittle and demean me. He called my questions and comments "stupid." He dismissed my pain as insignificant because I choose not to take the maximum daily dose of ibuprofen every day. Dr. DeSantis went on to criticize my physician-recommended use of cannabis for pain management, saying "Cannabis doesn't do anything, but you take THAT every day." When I brought up my mobility issues, he dismissed them, grumbling "You walked in here just fine," even though I am nearly certain he did not witness my entrance. I was so shocked by his behavior that I asked "Have I somehow offended you by asking questions about my health and treatment options?" He shouted "You haven't asked me anything! You're just telling me things and you don't know what you're talking about!" I saw no point in continuing an appointment with a doctor who was being, in my opinion, both hostile and abusive. I told him I thought his behavior was completely inappropriate and I left, knowing nothing more about my condition than I had known before I entered his office. Now, I'm faced with more delays in my treatment and disruptions to my life while I await approval to see a different, hopefully more professional and compassionate, orthopedic specialist.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2017

Worst medical experience in our lives. Botched surgery. Wrong appliance had to be replaced. No aftercare. No responsibility for problems with surgery. NEVER go there.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2016

The WORST medical experience I've had in Palm Springs. DeSantis is only interested in replacing your joint. Aftercare or pain management -- he doesn't care. I told him my regular doctor suggested I ask him for a referral to pain management and he said "Then your other doctor can refer you to one if he's so inclined." Spends 4 minutes with you per visit. Leaves the room while you are talking. Just the worst attitude in every way.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2015

VERY NEGLECTFUL IN AFTER SURGERY CARE. VERY NEGLECTFUL IN ATTENTION TO PATIENT, RESULTING IN BLOOD CLOT COMPICATIONS.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2013

DID NOT SP[END MUCH TIME, SEEMED TO BE IN A HURRY ALWAYS, HAD TO WAIT 45 MINUTES WHILE LISTENING TO HIME TALK TO STAFF OUTSIDE THE DOOR.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2010

Dr. John G. Desantis's Credentials

• Michigan State University College Of Osteopathic Medicine (Grad. 1980)

Top Hospitals in Rancho Mirage, CA