Ratings for Dr. Marius Maxwell

I was recommended after my MRI to go to pain management. My husband had a previous operation with Dr Maxwell to correct his back with excellent success. So I took all my information to him to see what he could do. He and Lucy not only worked with my insurance company, which was out of network, but Dr Maxwell successfully corrected my spine and I have had no pain since the operation. He didn't over prescribe pain medication and was thorough with the medications he did prescribe. We are well pleased with Dr Maxwell and his entire team of professionals. I would recommend him to anybody.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2017

I was being run through the mill at AFOC. I was told insurance wouldn't pay for surgery and I would need to see the PA for pain management and do extensive physical therapy through their office. I took my MRI and extensive medical history to Dr. Maxwell for a second opinion. He performed a nerve block to basically confirm the problem and my insurance company approved the surgery I needed with no problems. I appreciated that Dr. Maxwell doesn't overprescribe pain medicine for recovery either. I was pleased with my experience. Kari H 2017

flag | Submitted August 8, 2017

Dr. Kraylick performed my surgery in 2015 and he was proud of the surgery but I was still in pain, I found Dr. Maxwell and within one month I was pain free and him and his staff is so caring and knowledgeable that I wouldn't go to anyone else. Not only did Dr. Maxwell free me of pain he treated me as a human being not just a meal ticket then ignore me afterward. I ‘m referring everyone I know to him and his staff. If you want to be care for and helped …Go see Dr. Maxwell Dona S. 2017

flag | Submitted July 28, 2017

I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Maxwell and his office. I just received a micro disectomy for a ruptured l4-l5 disc. And now 12 days later I am pain free and have been since the surgery took place. This was my 1st procedure and couldn't ask for a better experience. From the initial consult to pre and post surgery everything was explained to me as to what was gonna take place and it all went as to plan without a flaw. I would recommend Dr. Maxwell to anyone with back pain just to get a professionals input. He told me right from the start what was gonna need to be done to fix the daily pain I was expierencing in my back and leg. An almost as to magic it was true as soon as surgery was over and I was back to i had almost zero pain and once 24 hrs had gone by the only soreness I had was from the incision. So I would like to thank Dr. Maxwell and all his staff for giving me relief and making it as easy experience as they could for me.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2017

Dr. Maxwell diagnosed my condition in minutes. He noted that my condition was so severe he was surprised I was not already wheel chair bound. He then suggested the solution to address my problem. One solution was for Dr. Maxwell, a renowned surgeon in his own right, to operate and remove the offending spinal tumor but he suggested instead, that I go to have surgery in St. Joseph’s hospital in Phoenix Arizona because they perform the spinal operation I needed on a daily basis, meaning they were not only highly skilled and practiced with this type of surgery, but that they had the most up to date peripheral equipment to assist them in the surgery and recovery. I took Dr. Maxwell’s advice and that very night, headed to St Joseph’s hospital, where their affiliate, the doctors that would actually be performing the surgery from the Barrow Brain and Spinal Clinic, paved the way for my immediate admittance into the hospital upon arrival and then, for next day surgery. That was almost five (5) months ago. The surgery was successful. Had Dr. Maxwell not diagnosed me so quickly and if Dr. Maxwell had not already known where I could get the best surgical care for my specific problem, it is very likely I would be spending the rest of my life in a wheel chair. Instead, with Dr. Maxwell’s guidance and with physical therapy, I am on my way back to reviving my body’s normal functioning and operation. Thank you Dr. Maxwell not only for you medical expertise, which goes well beyond diagnosis and cure, but for dedicating your personal time to discover and investigate who in the world today is best suited to provide the best remedies for each diagnosis. Sincerely, Bill Quinn

flag | Submitted June 29, 2017

I had my cervicle fussion a little over a year ago! I feel so much better! All and all I am so glad I found DR. Maxwell! The gals at the office were amazing and worked with my insurance company and saved me money! Dr. Maxwell was very personable! Thank you again Dr. Maxwell

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

About 3 years ago while weightlifting I felt a "slip" in my low back. The pain was excruciating. I went to my general physician and he ordered an epidural shot for my spine. After a few days the pain went away and I resumed my life. After a few months I started noticing leg pain while sitting for an extended amount of time and hot feet sensations. Those things are really annoying but not really debilitating so I just dealt with them. I was referred to Dr. Maxwell and we got an MRI done. He showed me that I had a bulging disc that was partially pinching a nerve in my L4-L5 region. After consulting with Dr. Maxwell he suggested not doing a surgery. This was weird because I normally hear how surgery is always encouraged for back issues. I was in very good shape and young so he said if the pain doesn't affect your day to day life then lets work on managing it. I was fine for another two and a half years. About 6 months ago while bending down to take my dogs collar off my back locked up again. I went into my general doctor and they did an in office shot to my low back area that relived the pain. But after that I had constant low back pain. I went in again to see Dr Maxwell and we got another MRI. The disc was degenerated and the sciatic nerve in my low back was pretty much being pinched fully. We did a nerve block and the pain went away for a few days. Even after that when we were in his office he merely presented the diagnosis and then looked at me. He wanted to make sure I wanted the surgery. I had never had a surgery in my life so I was more than a little uneasy about the process. Dr Maxwell and his staff were awesome. His office manager Lucy dealt with all the insurance paperwork and questions and layed out the whole process step by step. I met with the nurses and anesthesiologist before surgery so that I would understand everything that was going to happen and what to expect afterwards. Another great thing is he has his own surgery center. After I decided I wanted the surgery I was able to get an operating room slot in a week. No waiting a month for a spot to be open at the local hospital. The patient care was top notch The procedure I had done was a right L4-5 hemilaminotomy and foraminotomy with lumbar microdiscectomy with removal of more than 50% of the facet joint necessitating a right L4-5 pedicle screw posterior lateral fusion. I understand what all that was because Dr Maxwell explained it fully. After the surgery I had little if any complications. The only one being the sore throat from the breathing tube they inserted. I was a little sore for a few days but was able to return to work 4 days after the surgery in a limited capacity. Now about a month later I have no back pain at all and even the leg and foot pain are not as intense as they used to be. It is weird after 3 years to not have some form of low back pain. It feels great and I want to thank everyone at Dr. Maxwell's office for making the process as painless as possible. John B.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2017

I live 350 miles from Anchorage so I originally went to see Dr. Jensen in FBX because he has a good reputation as a surgeon but considering the seriousness of what I needed done (2 stage ACDF) I wanted a second opinion so I contacted Dr. Maxwell's office and set up a phone consult. A week BEFORE my phone consult Dr. M called me and asked if I had time to talk about my scan, he told me I had a serious problem and needed to have it fixed soon. This man looked at my scan and decided to call me a week before my appointment because he felt it was that serious, he didn't have his secretary make an appointment, he just picked up the phone and called. We talked for a half hour at least and I really liked what he had to say. Coincidentally I was headed to FBX that same day to have a pre-op appointment with Dr. Jensen but when I got there they told me he wasn't in that day and I could speak with his assistant...wasn't in I said!!! I was unimpressed to say the least so along with other a few other factors I decided to go see Dr. M. It was worth the drive and after having my initial consult with him I was sure he was the right Dr. for the job so I scheduled my surgery with him. They have a first class facility run by a first class staff. Everyone knows there job and performs it in a highly professional manner. I was especially impressed by Dr. T, the anesthesiologist, he was so thorough in his consultation with me that I was completely at ease with the semi-complicated process that was needed in my case. I've never had a Dr. explain something with the amount of detail that he did in terms I could easily understand. The nursing staff is extremely attentive, competent and actually really fun to be around. They put me at ease before and after the surgery and were right there for anything I needed because you are the only patient they have that day! That's right, they only do one surgery a day so the entire staff is there for you. They may have some pre-op and post-op appointments scheduled but only 1 surgery and both Dr. M and Dr. T checked in on me multiple times while I was in recovery. It was so nice not being in a filthy hospital surrounded by sick people with a plethora of different Dr's and nurses coming and going, you're not just another number here. Dr. M called me the night of the surgery to check in and see how I was doing, not his nurse or receptionist but the man who did the surgery called me! I was shocked with how little pain I had the following morning and pretty much everyday after. I had watched YouTube videos of people who had the surgery and they were all in neck braces on the 5th day talking hoarse and acting like they were just in a car wreck..it was pathetic. The morning after my surgery I had almost no neck pain and a little sore throat, about what one encounters while dealing with the common cold. I ate a big breakfast before my post-op appointment and drove myself 350 miles home. I can't say enough about what Dr. M is trying to change about the health care system. He is a well educated, well experienced Dr. who believes patient care is more important that a million dollar salary. I would recommend him and his practice to anyone needing spinal care. He provides a level of care far above any doctor in AK.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2017

I was very comfortable with Dr. Maxwell after my consultation. He and his anesthesiologist were very thorough in their coverage of requirements, options & possible complications. The people that did my MRI and x-rays had good things to say about Dr. Maxwell. The nursing staff was very friendly, helpful and upbeat. Being able to have the surgery in his private operating room instead of a hospital made it so much more comfortable and available to my family members. It was almost like being at home. I would highly recommend Dr. Maxwell to anyone.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2017

My comment is about what Dr. Maxwell DIDN'T do. He didn't tell me that he needed to work on my spine. He asked me a lot of questions about my symptoms and my pain and decided to send me to an orthopedic doctor because he suspected that my pain was not being caused by spinal issues. Turns out that my hip was bad. This is after I had spine surgery for that pain performed by another doctor who was certain it was spinal in nature (before I had heard about Dr. Maxwell). If he had been my first contact for my issue I would not have 3 fused discs in my back now. This is the man to see.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2017