Ratings for Dr. Marius Maxwell

It's been a few years now from my first surgery with Dr. Maxwell . I wanted to give the work done a little time to settle in and see if the pain I was having would stay gone. I used to take 6 Advil a day for 3 years till one day I had my first kidney stone. Then 7 months later I had another stone pass and I put it together that it was from the coating on the Advil I was taking for right shoulder and arm pain that would keep me awake at all hours of the night. 2 more stones passed for a total of 4 and I had had it, I need to get help to make the pain go away or take the arm (OFF)!!. PT ,X-rays , several Dr's with no help but found on my own that if I popped my neck I would get some relief for a bit and (bingo) I knew it was in my spine. I have lots of friends whom have had back surgery's and some are worse off than what they were before the operations were preformed. So I have seen proof of things that go wrong with people messing around with the spine. I did all the research I could think of and ended up making an appointment with Arctic Spine. So when I had a visit with Dr. Maxwell he said with out hesitation what it would take to fix it, I was kind of taken by surprise by his confidence. At that time he was using the facility's of the surgery center off Lake Otis and Tudor, I was worked on for 48 minuets with 4 levels fused with 8 screws and one long plate and 3 cadaver bones in place of the disk's in my neck. As soon as I woke up the pain was gone and I was ready to go, this was done on a Friday and even tho I was to take it easy I was back to work with light duty and on a plane Monday morning (and yes I was very careful and did not lift anything and moved easy and slow but I was in no pain. It did hurt to swallow for a week tho. Dr. Maxwell did what he said he would do and my recovery was astounding compared to what I thought it was going to be. And for this a friendship was started and the future of the remainder of my messed up back was on its way to planning the repair of this life Alaskan so I can at least enjoy my older not so rowdy years without pain form being so hard on my body as a young man. I have and will always tell anyone mentioning back issues to go see Dr. Maxwell .

flag | Submitted January 15, 2019

What an amazing group of professials that I had with Dr.Maxwell. Knowledgeable, informative, caring and that one on one personal service you couldn’t have anywhere else. You are getting the greatest care with Dr. Maxwells facilitates, surgical nurses, front staff(Ben), anesthesiologist (Dr Price) and the acccounting office ( Lucy). I was in pain for 3 years with having chiropractic, massages, cortizone shots, lotions and potions, it wasn’t sciatica . Getting an MRI and XRay after 3 years I got orders from my family doctor - we found out it wasn’t sciatica it was my L4L5. I had 2 friends that told me about Artic Spine and Dr. Maxwell, on how wonderfully they felt after their procedure. I decided to go and see 2 other options from 2 different doctors. Hands down Dr. Maxwell was the best decision I could of ever made! Dr. Maxwell was up front on what needed to be done with the must less invasive procedure and the possibilities that may happen for the future for me. I had bone on bone with the L4L5 disc and the procedure we decided on was L4L5 mircodectomy . Surgery was amazing he did such a great job, Dr. Price made it painless with his more natural alternative medicines, the nurse was with me all the time and after, staff - Ben always in contact and had information, both doctors called me to check in how was I doing and if I needed anything, and the personal care of having the one on one was just outstanding. With all the informational things I needed to know my progress after surgery - it has been on a healthy road for me and no pain. I would suggest Atric Spine with Dr Maxwell and staff for your medical needs for your spine and no matter the day or time. Committed to what they love - the care of there patient !

flag | Submitted November 19, 2018

I saw Dr Maxwell for lumbar spine pain after going to a different doctor for a couple of years. I did a lot of research on my symptoms and I was convinced I needed surgery for spinal stenosis, but the other doctor just kept sending me to PT. Dr Maxwell did a free review of my MRI's and concluded I needed stenosis surgery on at least 3 levels. My insurance company only wanted to approve two levels. After doing a test on me, Dr Maxwell fought with the insurance company and got 3 levels approved. While performing the surgery, he discovered he actually needed to work on 4 levels, and the stenosis was much worse than the MRI would suggest. (I have a hard time being still in those things) He did the complete surgery, it is going to take some time to heal, but it is already feeling better and getting better everyday. His team of medical professionals are top notch, caring, and fun to talk with. They, including Dr Maxwell, even patiently listen to my wife as she schools them on essential oils. heh I have never had to wait very long to see him when I have an appointment, unlike every other doctor I have ever been to. So I don't think you can go wrong with Dr Maxwell and his team.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2018

I required two surgeries due to reruptured disc; however, I can't say enough about the superior care I received. No one has compared to their knowledge, nursing care, pre/post op instructions and overall bedside manner. Love Dr. Maxwell and Dr. Price! The nurses are amazing and the office/administration staff excel in their positions. With every procedure there are risks and unfortunately for me...I required a second surgery. The pain has definitely decreased but not completely gone. I feel this will improve. I would not blame anyone even if I require a fusion because every person is unique and their healing is the same. I appreciate this TEAM for all they have done and most likely what they will continue to do in the future.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2018

If you want the BEST care, look NO FURTHER! Dr. Maxwell's team's care is unsurpassed by any other in the State of Alaska. Meet with him and decide for yourself, and you will agree!

flag | Submitted September 19, 2018

Dr. Maxwell and Dr. Price were both knowledgeable and professional, nurses and other staff caring and helpful. They addressed the problem promptly and I was able to go back to light work within 10 days. The surgery center was much more personal and comfortable setting than my past hospital events. Thanks to the folks at Arctic Spine!

flag | Submitted September 12, 2018

A couple of years ago I ruptured a disc, L5-S1. Dr. Maxwell operated and it worked out very well. A couple of months ago, I felt that same pop in my back and the sciatic pain started down my right leg. I knew exactly what had happened. I called, had a phone consultation with Dr. Maxwell to save time because we knew I would need x-rays and an MRI before meeting with him in person. The MRI revealed L2-L3 had ruptured and L5-S1 wasn't looking so hot either. We decided to do a block on L5-S1 to see if that was causing the pain. I met with the anesthesiologist, Dr. Price, to get something for pain relief. Sciatic pain is unbearable. I was not impressed with this guy. He seemed pre-occupied and kind of slow, like he didn't know what he was doing. He wrote a prescription for 14 days without explaining to me the new laws regarding pain medicine for chronic pain which caused a lot of confusion. I expressed my concerns to Lucy, the office manager (?), who tried to convince me he was a great doc. The next time I saw him, he went out of his way to make me feel better about him. Anyway, I have a block done on L5-S1, which I now realize they probably knew that one was not the one causing me pain because Dr. Maxwell is very smart but he has a very fancy surgery center to pay for. So I went back for a block on L2-L3 but this time I was not sedated which did help me to gain a little more confidence in Dr. Price. However, in the 2 times I was in their PACU area, where they prep & recover patients, I was NOT comfortable with what I saw and heard. I work at Providence in a unit where people experience the most excruciating pain they will ever feel, and some go to surgery. We prep them, take them to surgery and recover them. So I know what it should be and this Arctic Surgery Center made me very uncomfortable which is why I'm glad I fired them today. I feel a giant weight lifted off my shoulders. My other surgeries were at Regional and were fine there but this surgery center and its staff makes me very uncomfortable. After the 2nd block, which of course worked, and I have a feeling they knew it would, but again they have a fancy surgery center to pay for, I talked with Dr. Maxwell--in fact, just this past Monday and said I wanted to put off surgery to save up my portion and to give Lyrica a try. Dr. Price and I had talked about trying Lryica to see if that would help the nerve pain. I don't have the money to pay for my portion of the surgery and you have to pay up front. They do not bill month to month. Dr. Price said if the Lyrica was going to work, it would work right away. It isn't. I'm in excruciating pain and called to report the Lyrica was not working and would have to go back to pain meds, plus the Lyrica was $90/mo so that wouldn't help me when I was trying to save my portion of the surgery. I was told Dr. Price was out of the clinic for several days so I asked for Dr. Maxwell to help me out. I called back at the end of the day and was told Dr. Maxwell did not come in today. I was then put on hold, when Ben came back to the line he said they wanted me to stick to the same doctor, Dr. Price, since he was treating me. However they are BOTH treating me. Dr. Price WORKS for Dr. Maxwell. They go hand in hand, duh! How can a doctor leave and not have a back up? Is Dr. Maxwell too important, busy, lazy to back up his employee? They tout you see a doctor every time you are there, no PAs or nurses, no middleman; however, every time I see either one of them it feels like I'm a brand new patient. They don't remember me from one time to the next and Dr. Maxwell certainly doesn't look ahead at your chart. You go in, sit down, and start all over at ground zero. At least at OPA, I may see a PA but they have reviewed my chart and know what I am there for before they walk through that door. Yes, this time around, I'm very disappointed. I do not recommend this clinic and especially NOT this surgery center.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2018

Dr Maxwell performed a Fusion with bone graft and hardware on me 15 months ago and it was. Life changing experience. I used to have stabbing pain that would go to my shoulders and nerve pain down my arms that left electric shocks, plus I would get horrible headaches. Dr Maxwell took the time to explain to me what was causing my issue where other doctors just gave up on me and told me "it was all in my head"! I felt very comfortable with him and his staff and their bedside manners were all very professional including Dr Price and all the nurses. I recovered really fast and was able to do my accounting work again in 5 days! Their surgery center was also a delight to be in, so calm and comfy and refreshing compared to hospitals where I have had previous surgeries at. Now all my previous symptoms are gone and I can't thank Arctic Spine enough. Don't waste your time with other doctors offices like I did, go ahead and see these guys and you will be taken care of!

Submitted August 27, 2018

Caused Adhesive Arachnoiditis, meningitis, and a staff infection 2 1/2 years ago in Alaska to my loving husband and completely ruined our lives !!!!!!! If you want more details I’ll fill you in!!!! Dr. Marius Maxwell I would not recommend to anyone on this earth !!! I will be reporting him to the medical board! He is in bed 20 hours a day and is not able to work or enjoy his beautiful wife!! Think twice before choosing this doctor!!!

Submitted August 17, 2018

I had consulted with several different physicians and no one could compare to the personal care, information and honesty provided by Dr Maxwell and his staff. The facilities are state of the art and provide for a personal care that is not received in an operating room environment. The follow-up prior to surgery, during and after was outstanding. Family was also included in discussions to ensure participation in the healing process.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2018