Ratings for Dr. Marius Maxwell

I saw Dr Maxwell for lumbar spine pain after going to a different doctor for a couple of years. I did a lot of research on my symptoms and I was convinced I needed surgery for spinal stenosis, but the other doctor just kept sending me to PT. Dr Maxwell did a free review of my MRI's and concluded I needed stenosis surgery on at least 3 levels. My insurance company only wanted to approve two levels. After doing a test on me, Dr Maxwell fought with the insurance company and got 3 levels approved. While performing the surgery, he discovered he actually needed to work on 4 levels, and the stenosis was much worse than the MRI would suggest. (I have a hard time being still in those things) He did the complete surgery, it is going to take some time to heal, but it is already feeling better and getting better everyday. His team of medical professionals are top notch, caring, and fun to talk with. They, including Dr Maxwell, even patiently listen to my wife as she schools them on essential oils. heh I have never had to wait very long to see him when I have an appointment, unlike every other doctor I have ever been to. So I don't think you can go wrong with Dr Maxwell and his team.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2018

I required two surgeries due to reruptured disc; however, I can't say enough about the superior care I received. No one has compared to their knowledge, nursing care, pre/post op instructions and overall bedside manner. Love Dr. Maxwell and Dr. Price! The nurses are amazing and the office/administration staff excel in their positions. With every procedure there are risks and unfortunately for me...I required a second surgery. The pain has definitely decreased but not completely gone. I feel this will improve. I would not blame anyone even if I require a fusion because every person is unique and their healing is the same. I appreciate this TEAM for all they have done and most likely what they will continue to do in the future.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2018

If you want the BEST care, look NO FURTHER! Dr. Maxwell's team's care is unsurpassed by any other in the State of Alaska. Meet with him and decide for yourself, and you will agree!

flag | Submitted September 19, 2018

Dr. Maxwell and Dr. Price were both knowledgeable and professional, nurses and other staff caring and helpful. They addressed the problem promptly and I was able to go back to light work within 10 days. The surgery center was much more personal and comfortable setting than my past hospital events. Thanks to the folks at Arctic Spine!

flag | Submitted September 12, 2018

A couple of years ago I ruptured a disc, L5-S1. Dr. Maxwell operated and it worked out very well. A couple of months ago, I felt that same pop in my back and the sciatic pain started down my right leg. I knew exactly what had happened. I called, had a phone consultation with Dr. Maxwell to save time because we knew I would need x-rays and an MRI before meeting with him in person. The MRI revealed L2-L3 had ruptured and L5-S1 wasn't looking so hot either. We decided to do a block on L5-S1 to see if that was causing the pain. I met with the anesthesiologist, Dr. Price, to get something for pain relief. Sciatic pain is unbearable. I was not impressed with this guy. He seemed pre-occupied and kind of slow, like he didn't know what he was doing. He wrote a prescription for 14 days without explaining to me the new laws regarding pain medicine for chronic pain which caused a lot of confusion. I expressed my concerns to Lucy, the office manager (?), who tried to convince me he was a great doc. The next time I saw him, he went out of his way to make me feel better about him. Anyway, I have a block done on L5-S1, which I now realize they probably knew that one was not the one causing me pain because Dr. Maxwell is very smart but he has a very fancy surgery center to pay for. So I went back for a block on L2-L3 but this time I was not sedated which did help me to gain a little more confidence in Dr. Price. However, in the 2 times I was in their PACU area, where they prep & recover patients, I was NOT comfortable with what I saw and heard. I work at Providence in a unit where people experience the most excruciating pain they will ever feel, and some go to surgery. We prep them, take them to surgery and recover them. So I know what it should be and this Arctic Surgery Center made me very uncomfortable which is why I'm glad I fired them today. I feel a giant weight lifted off my shoulders. My other surgeries were at Regional and were fine there but this surgery center and its staff makes me very uncomfortable. After the 2nd block, which of course worked, and I have a feeling they knew it would, but again they have a fancy surgery center to pay for, I talked with Dr. Maxwell--in fact, just this past Monday and said I wanted to put off surgery to save up my portion and to give Lyrica a try. Dr. Price and I had talked about trying Lryica to see if that would help the nerve pain. I don't have the money to pay for my portion of the surgery and you have to pay up front. They do not bill month to month. Dr. Price said if the Lyrica was going to work, it would work right away. It isn't. I'm in excruciating pain and called to report the Lyrica was not working and would have to go back to pain meds, plus the Lyrica was $90/mo so that wouldn't help me when I was trying to save my portion of the surgery. I was told Dr. Price was out of the clinic for several days so I asked for Dr. Maxwell to help me out. I called back at the end of the day and was told Dr. Maxwell did not come in today. I was then put on hold, when Ben came back to the line he said they wanted me to stick to the same doctor, Dr. Price, since he was treating me. However they are BOTH treating me. Dr. Price WORKS for Dr. Maxwell. They go hand in hand, duh! How can a doctor leave and not have a back up? Is Dr. Maxwell too important, busy, lazy to back up his employee? They tout you see a doctor every time you are there, no PAs or nurses, no middleman; however, every time I see either one of them it feels like I'm a brand new patient. They don't remember me from one time to the next and Dr. Maxwell certainly doesn't look ahead at your chart. You go in, sit down, and start all over at ground zero. At least at OPA, I may see a PA but they have reviewed my chart and know what I am there for before they walk through that door. Yes, this time around, I'm very disappointed. I do not recommend this clinic and especially NOT this surgery center.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2018

Dr Maxwell performed a Fusion with bone graft and hardware on me 15 months ago and it was. Life changing experience. I used to have stabbing pain that would go to my shoulders and nerve pain down my arms that left electric shocks, plus I would get horrible headaches. Dr Maxwell took the time to explain to me what was causing my issue where other doctors just gave up on me and told me "it was all in my head"! I felt very comfortable with him and his staff and their bedside manners were all very professional including Dr Price and all the nurses. I recovered really fast and was able to do my accounting work again in 5 days! Their surgery center was also a delight to be in, so calm and comfy and refreshing compared to hospitals where I have had previous surgeries at. Now all my previous symptoms are gone and I can't thank Arctic Spine enough. Don't waste your time with other doctors offices like I did, go ahead and see these guys and you will be taken care of!

Submitted August 27, 2018

Caused Adhesive Arachnoiditis, meningitis, and a staff infection 2 1/2 years ago in Alaska to my loving husband and completely ruined our lives !!!!!!! If you want more details I’ll fill you in!!!! Dr. Marius Maxwell I would not recommend to anyone on this earth !!! I will be reporting him to the medical board! He is in bed 20 hours a day and is not able to work or enjoy his beautiful wife!! Think twice before choosing this doctor!!!

Submitted August 17, 2018

I had consulted with several different physicians and no one could compare to the personal care, information and honesty provided by Dr Maxwell and his staff. The facilities are state of the art and provide for a personal care that is not received in an operating room environment. The follow-up prior to surgery, during and after was outstanding. Family was also included in discussions to ensure participation in the healing process.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2018

It has been two weeks since my surgery and everything seems to be going well. Dr. Maxwell and his team at Arctic Spine are taking good care of me and I expect an excellent outcome. Hopefully it won't take a long time to happen. Everyone is very caring and concerned and willing to answer questions when asked. I look forward to an excellent relationship!

flag | Submitted August 7, 2018

Having surgery always hurts, I had a terrible accident (a bad fall) I am a repeat patient of Dr.Maxwell , prior to going to Arctic Spine I was seen by several Dr’s including specialists with no avail. Dr Maxwell was able to find the problem and also fix my back and neck giving me my life back, everybody at Arctic Spine treats you like family and caters to your needs it’s better than 1 on 1 service, my last surgery was on the 27th of July and I had 2 nurses and a anesthesiologist all to myself, unbelievable it’s more like a day spa. My husband was so thankful for the after hours phone calls after we went home just to check on me, feels like family. I can’t say enough about Dr. Maxwell and the staff at Arctic Spine.. Thank you Maddy O.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2018