Ratings for Dr. Marius Maxwell

About 3 years ago while weightlifting I felt a "slip" in my low back. The pain was excruciating. I went to my general physician and he ordered an epidural shot for my spine. After a few days the pain went away and I resumed my life. After a few months I started noticing leg pain while sitting for an extended amount of time and hot feet sensations. Those things are really annoying but not really debilitating so I just dealt with them. I was referred to Dr. Maxwell and we got an MRI done. He showed me that I had a bulging disc that was partially pinching a nerve in my L4-L5 region. After consulting with Dr. Maxwell he suggested not doing a surgery. This was weird because I normally hear how surgery is always encouraged for back issues. I was in very good shape and young so he said if the pain doesn't affect your day to day life then lets work on managing it. I was fine for another two and a half years. About 6 months ago while bending down to take my dogs collar off my back locked up again. I went into my general doctor and they did an in office shot to my low back area that relived the pain. But after that I had constant low back pain. I went in again to see Dr Maxwell and we got another MRI. The disc was degenerated and the sciatic nerve in my low back was pretty much being pinched fully. We did a nerve block and the pain went away for a few days. Even after that when we were in his office he merely presented the diagnosis and then looked at me. He wanted to make sure I wanted the surgery. I had never had a surgery in my life so I was more than a little uneasy about the process. Dr Maxwell and his staff were awesome. His office manager Lucy dealt with all the insurance paperwork and questions and layed out the whole process step by step. I met with the nurses and anesthesiologist before surgery so that I would understand everything that was going to happen and what to expect afterwards. Another great thing is he has his own surgery center. After I decided I wanted the surgery I was able to get an operating room slot in a week. No waiting a month for a spot to be open at the local hospital. The patient care was top notch The procedure I had done was a right L4-5 hemilaminotomy and foraminotomy with lumbar microdiscectomy with removal of more than 50% of the facet joint necessitating a right L4-5 pedicle screw posterior lateral fusion. I understand what all that was because Dr Maxwell explained it fully. After the surgery I had little if any complications. The only one being the sore throat from the breathing tube they inserted. I was a little sore for a few days but was able to return to work 4 days after the surgery in a limited capacity. Now about a month later I have no back pain at all and even the leg and foot pain are not as intense as they used to be. It is weird after 3 years to not have some form of low back pain. It feels great and I want to thank everyone at Dr. Maxwell's office for making the process as painless as possible. John B.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2017

I live 350 miles from Anchorage so I originally went to see Dr. Jensen in FBX because he has a good reputation as a surgeon but considering the seriousness of what I needed done (2 stage ACDF) I wanted a second opinion so I contacted Dr. Maxwell's office and set up a phone consult. A week BEFORE my phone consult Dr. M called me and asked if I had time to talk about my scan, he told me I had a serious problem and needed to have it fixed soon. This man looked at my scan and decided to call me a week before my appointment because he felt it was that serious, he didn't have his secretary make an appointment, he just picked up the phone and called. We talked for a half hour at least and I really liked what he had to say. Coincidentally I was headed to FBX that same day to have a pre-op appointment with Dr. Jensen but when I got there they told me he wasn't in that day and I could speak with his assistant...wasn't in I said!!! I was unimpressed to say the least so along with other a few other factors I decided to go see Dr. M. It was worth the drive and after having my initial consult with him I was sure he was the right Dr. for the job so I scheduled my surgery with him. They have a first class facility run by a first class staff. Everyone knows there job and performs it in a highly professional manner. I was especially impressed by Dr. T, the anesthesiologist, he was so thorough in his consultation with me that I was completely at ease with the semi-complicated process that was needed in my case. I've never had a Dr. explain something with the amount of detail that he did in terms I could easily understand. The nursing staff is extremely attentive, competent and actually really fun to be around. They put me at ease before and after the surgery and were right there for anything I needed because you are the only patient they have that day! That's right, they only do one surgery a day so the entire staff is there for you. They may have some pre-op and post-op appointments scheduled but only 1 surgery and both Dr. M and Dr. T checked in on me multiple times while I was in recovery. It was so nice not being in a filthy hospital surrounded by sick people with a plethora of different Dr's and nurses coming and going, you're not just another number here. Dr. M called me the night of the surgery to check in and see how I was doing, not his nurse or receptionist but the man who did the surgery called me! I was shocked with how little pain I had the following morning and pretty much everyday after. I had watched YouTube videos of people who had the surgery and they were all in neck braces on the 5th day talking hoarse and acting like they were just in a car wreck..it was pathetic. The morning after my surgery I had almost no neck pain and a little sore throat, about what one encounters while dealing with the common cold. I ate a big breakfast before my post-op appointment and drove myself 350 miles home. I can't say enough about what Dr. M is trying to change about the health care system. He is a well educated, well experienced Dr. who believes patient care is more important that a million dollar salary. I would recommend him and his practice to anyone needing spinal care. He provides a level of care far above any doctor in AK.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2017

I was very comfortable with Dr. Maxwell after my consultation. He and his anesthesiologist were very thorough in their coverage of requirements, options & possible complications. The people that did my MRI and x-rays had good things to say about Dr. Maxwell. The nursing staff was very friendly, helpful and upbeat. Being able to have the surgery in his private operating room instead of a hospital made it so much more comfortable and available to my family members. It was almost like being at home. I would highly recommend Dr. Maxwell to anyone.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2017

My comment is about what Dr. Maxwell DIDN'T do. He didn't tell me that he needed to work on my spine. He asked me a lot of questions about my symptoms and my pain and decided to send me to an orthopedic doctor because he suspected that my pain was not being caused by spinal issues. Turns out that my hip was bad. This is after I had spine surgery for that pain performed by another doctor who was certain it was spinal in nature (before I had heard about Dr. Maxwell). If he had been my first contact for my issue I would not have 3 fused discs in my back now. This is the man to see.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2017

Suffering multiple symptoms of whiplash caused by a high-speed rear-end collision in July 2014 by a guy that was high on heroin and meth, my husband has also suffered from deficient care from our family physician, a chiropractor, a neurologist, two physical therapists, and two orthopedists over 2.5 years. Disappointed in a lack of diagnosis and serious ongoing pain and disability, we searched for a neurosurgeon and found Dr. Maxwell. His credentials are exceptional, as is his dedication to his patients. Unlike the physician's or orthopedists' offices with their 'gatekeepers', we met directly with Dr. Maxwell who presented the MRI and x-ray imagery to us and explained the causes of my husband's tingling and numbness in his hands, as well as the radiating pain across and over his shoulders. Fusing the C4-C6 vertebrae which had been damaged and worsened over time provided immediate relief while my husband was still in the recovery room. From the first visit to the day of surgery was only 18 days to then finally find relief from that near-fatal accident of 2.5 years ago. Dr. Maxwell and his entire team were simply exceptional in their care of my husband and in their communications with us. We were so very fortunate to find Dr. Maxwell. Alaskans statewide are so very fortunate that Dr. Maxwell found Alaska!

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

I highly recommend Dr. Maxwell. I had on going back problems for years. Had visited several doctors, which either had no options for me, or wanted to only medicate the pain. When I met Dr. Maxwell, he took precise steps to pinpoint the problem area and followed up his thoughts with a diagnostic procedure to ensure his surgical plan would be appropriate in this instance. Even though the testing provided the assurance that he needed, he allowed me to take my time to consider the surgical option. As there was quite a long recovery time, I thought it over for months with no pressure from Dr. Maxwell or his staff. After I made my own decision he & his staff got the ball rolling with my insurance company. They handled it all. Eventually I was approved and surgery commenced. The best decision I could have made. My quality of life had been altered for so long, I had forgotten what it was like to live normally. Dr. Maxwell is the best! He cares about you, he and his very small staff handle all of your needs. No physician assistants to muddy up the information or drag down the process. Although I am still in the healing phase, I am like a new person. I will always be grateful for his abilities and thoroughness. Can't wait to see him and let him know how I'm progressing.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2017

My husband was referred to Dr Maxwell for a fusion surgery. It took a year and a half of fighting and going back and for denial the surgery. Doctor Maxwell and his staff got right in the trenches with us and helped us fight the battle for the surgery as my husband grew weaker and weaker in the right leg. The staff would call and tell me immediately when they received the denial and I would get right on it. I wrote 4 letters and the staff submitted numerous request for surgery finally got a level II appointment for a phone conference and before the appointment they requested more paperwork from Dr Maxwell's office and the office sent it over and less than 24 hours later with out the conference call was canceled and the surgery was approved. The staff rushed us in for surgery we got the approval on a Thursday and the next Thursday we had surgery. Its been month now and my husband is gaining every day his strength back. Thanks Dr Marius Maxwell for you expertise in doing the right surgery for the longevity of my husband having a great functioning life. I will miss talking to the ladies every week but we are doing better than expected and very quickly.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

Well... To start this off back in 2011 I had severe Rt shoulder pain, numbness going down to my hand (only on Rt side) I went to see a Neurosurgeon at a clinic in town (Anchorage) After X-Rays, MRI's, CT scan w/contrast, a EMG. The DR. informed me that I would require Cervical Laminaplasty at levels C2,C3,C4,C5. 3 months after surgery I was reviewing X-Rays this is when we discovered that one of the screws that was used to attach a plate in my neck came loose and is floating at the base of my neck. The Dr. said that it embedded itself in some fatty tissue and presents no problem. But I still had pain & numbness in the Rt shoulder going down to my elbow and sometimes to the hand. Over all it got better but it still painful. So I went back to see the DR. and after more X-Rays, MRI another CT Scan w/contrast and a EMG He determine That I needed a Fusion at C4-C5 lvls. Well approx 11 month later from the first surgery I have the second surgery. 7 months later I went back to see the Dr. because the Rt shoulder pain & numbness down to the hand was still there. This time the Dr sent me to a shoulder specialist, I had my shoulder scoped they found rotator cuff torn, bicep tendon detached, labrum torn. A different Dr. repaired this (All at the Same CLINIC), it took two different surgery's because I got a staff infection and they had to go back in to clean it up. About 7 months later I still Had Rt shoulder pain & numbness down to the hand. I went back to the Neurosurgeon and was put in touch with a DR. that specializes in pain management. He wanted more X-Rays and MRI's and he given me some MED's. Well I was completely dissatisfied they did not fix any thing . The insurance Co. and I have spent a tremendous amount of money to get this thing fixed. I have a fellow employee who just had surgery w/DR Maxwell. He recommended me to see him he said that "Dr. Maxwell is great I had cervical problems and Dr. Maxwell did a fusion and now I'm pain free". well I booked an app. w/Dr Maxwell brought over current MRI's and within 15 min he came up with a diagnosis that I will need a fusion at lvls C2-C3, C3-C4. I was not thrilled so he wanted to prove this is the area that needed fixed. So he ordered a nerve block at the C3-C4 lvls and when the block was put in the shoulder pain immediately went away. I then discussed w/his Admin about costs & insurance, they were very patient and informative. Two weeks later I had surgery, when I woke up I immediately notice no pain in the Rt shoulder & Hand, no numbness. The last time this occurred was in 2010. I'm still recovering but PAIN FREE! Dr Maxwell said if they would have done this the first time it would have been fixed. I just wished That I could have found Dr. Maxwell sooner

flag | Submitted January 7, 2017

Dr. Marius Maxwell is great! I had a bulging disc at L4. Had a previous surgery with Dr Kralic, he didn’t fix my problems. Dr Maxwell performed a PLF, one night in hospital and left the next day. I walked the next day with some pain but tolerable. It’s been 6 weeks, the process is still healing, I still get some stiffness, but I am definitely better! Dr. Maxwell said it will take up to 1 1/2 years for the fusion to completely heal. Overall, it was the best choice for me. Thank you Dr. Maxwell and staff. – SJ

flag | Submitted November 17, 2016

Dr. Maxwell is one of the best doctors. I have been to many doctors and I appreciate how clearly and accurately he was able to diagnose, share his knowledge with me and offer options. He is an excellent neurosurgeon who performed my surgery and personally takes care of each patient.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2016