Ratings for Dr. Tom G. Mayer

This Dr no longer is licensed to preform surgeries he is legally blind. Nice man but will fabricate information and send it to insurance company so please get medical records and request for all paperwork he files on you. I've personally experienced several times fake or just wrong info and if you don't complete his rehabilitation center with high marks he blame you as faking it even if you truly are in pain. This doctor only has rehabilitation as income so he needs to maintain a high turnout even if you suffer. My opinion if he can't bill major money he will have several of the MD's in his office too all bill you or your insurance. He's a leech doctor be careful of his shrink doctors too....

flag | Submitted June 22, 2017

FIBROMYALGIA PATIENT: I HAVE MY LIFE BACK.:) I have met Dr. Tom G. Meyer in person only twice; the first time was during one of the classes that he taught at P.R.I.D.E.; the second time was for my final full medical discharge from the Functional Restoration Program at P.R.I.D.E. He founded P.R.I.D.E. about 30 years ago. My impressions of him are that he is a kindly older gentleman, very focused on teaching his patients how to regain lost mobility and how to manage/ overcome chronic pain. The P.R.I.D.E. Functional Restoration Program involves a multi-pronged approach. On one side of the clinic there are: orthopedic doctors, psychiatrist, nurses and support staff. On the other side there are: the Physical Therapy Gym, with support staff. The Functional Restoration Program involves: a case worker, classes, physical therapy, biofeedback, and counseling. For 15 years, I had tried various doctors, specialists, physical therapists, and treatments hoping to find a treatment or cure for my Fibromyalgia. It was expensive. I even had one doctor who had the gall to tell me that I had imaginary pain. Finally, I was referred to Dr. Howard Cohen at P.R.I.D.E.. First, he got me off ALL narcotic pain medications. After a year, I was ready to take the next step. The next step: At the P.R.I.D.E. Clinic, there is no “magic wand” that a doctor will wave over your head to instantly cure you. There is no “magic pill” to make your pain go away forever. This is not a passive treatment: rather; it requires an active participation and a physical change in lifestyle. Dr. Gregory Powell, MD, wrote the orders for my Physical Therapy. He is a very good listener, has good empathy, and communicates well. However; Dr. Powell is no longer at P.R.I.D.E.. He is located in Plano, TX. In the P.R.I.D.E. “Physical Rehabilitation Program” you are taught a set of skills and strategies to use when the onset of worst pain happens. (Some of the techniques sounded a little counter-intuitive at first. Later, I learned that these techniques really do work, with practice. The biofeedback training with Randy Neblett, was very helpful, along with the CD meditation/relaxation exercises.) I have learned that I must live with a little pain so that I can be able to feel and gain control over the muscle spasms in my body. Moreover, the most difficult thing for me to learn was when I am hurting badly that I must get up, warm up, and stretch. This very slow stretching together with methodical breathing technique relieves the pain caused by the muscle spasms, and the stress response that are symptomatic of Fibromyalgia. One mind trick helped a lot to get my mind off of the fear of pain and of re-injury: I would listen to an MP3 player while I was warming up, stretching, and/or exercising. I had my favorite inspirational, uplifting, and motivational music on it. Third, the Physical Therapists, doctors, and specialists LISTEN to your feedback. Crucial to my results was the fact that each patient has their own personal history of physical injuries over their lifetime: the stretching and physical exercise program is customized for each individual patient. I had tried 3 other physical therapy clinics in the past: they would not listen when I told them that a particular stretching exercise was causing pain to the point of re-injury in my spine In contrast, at P.R.I.D.E. the physical therapists can teach you to modify certain exercises and stretches to work around your damaged area(s). And if you are having a “bad day” then you can pop in and see a counselor, who will help you realize that this is just a temporary setback. I had been lost in the pain for a number of years. Dr. Mark Williams helped me to remember some primary logic: that God is there for all of us, even in our darkest hour. The staff are professional, friendly, courteous, and very helpful. I am off ALL narcotic pain medications for 2 1/2 years now. I also have a part-time job, 20 hours/week. The difference in my life now is like night and day. Instead of living and suffering a “nightmare of pain”, I can now enjoy working and living. If you have tried just about everything and were not successful, then try Dr. Howard Cohen, MD, Psychiatrist; Dr. Gregory Powell, MD Orthopedist; and Dr. Tom G. Mayer and the support staff at P.R.I.D.E.. Better yet, save 15 years of wasted time, energy, and money on doctors who have good intentions, but who do not have the research and experience to back up what they are doing and saying. Try to be teachable and to have a little faith that these specialists know what they are doing and saying. The doctors and specialists at P.R.I.D.E. will customize the Functional Restoration Program to each patient for actual, measured, results. I now have my life back, thanks to Dr. Howard Cohen, Dr. Gregory Powell, Dr. Tom G. Mayer, and the support staff at P.R.I.D.E..:)

flag | Submitted July 11, 2015

Amazing patient care while participating in the PRIDE program, but once out - Dr. Mayer becomes uninvolved in your care, He actually THREW my w/c forms across the exam room. Refused to complete them. On another visit he saw me rather than the NP for my 3 month medication refill, I expressed to him the pain I was continuing to have, he said "you are here for medications, if your in pain, make another appt, promptly left the room and slammed the door.... Horrible bedside manner. I would NOT recomend this program to anyone. Go to a real rehab facility.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2013

I can't say enough about Dr. Mayer and his staff as well as employees,Physical Therapist and Technitions. They all know their purpose and how to help you function to your maximum capability.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2012

Busy office - nice staff - most knowlegeable doctor I've ever seen.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2012

Dr. Mayer completed an Impairment Rating Of my Wife Patricis West, WITHOUT TELLING HER HE WAS DOING IT, AFTER WE HAD TOLD HIM HER "TREATING PHYSICIAN" (DR. Sybil Reddick) WAS GOING TO DO IT!!!! It caused my wife to have to return to work before she was 100% ready! Even though what he did was not "Illegal", it was "unethical", and "underhanded"!!!! I want to make this known wherever I can!!!! Thank you!

flag | Submitted October 31, 2009

Dr. Tom G. Mayer's Credentials

• Columbia University College Of Physicians And Surgeons (Grad. 1968)

AHC