Ratings for Dr. Stephen B. Lichtenstein

Dr. Lichtenstein sets the standard for how doctors should be. He is pleasant, informative, happy to answer questions, and, oh yeah, he is also a great opthamologist! He is also on time for his appointments, including surgery. As someone who is quite busy, I greatly appreciated his respect for my time. All doctors should learn this!

flag | Submitted September 5, 2017

I was referred to Dr. Lichtenstein by my opthomologist for cataract surgery. I was very apprehensive about the surgery until I met Dr. Lichtenstein. His knowledge, professionalism but most of all his caring way was most impressive ; I immediately knew I was in good hands. He took the time to explain the procedure and the options I had as well as answering all my questions. Keisha was the technician that worked with me. She was friendly,professional and courteous as was all the staff. I could not have asked for a better team. The surgery could not have gone more smoothly. I am grateful to Dr. Lichtenstein, the office staff and the surgery center staff for their professional, competent and caring way putting a nervous, apprehensive patient at ease. I would highly recommend this very competent team. Thank you Dr. Lichtenstein for a positive experience.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2017

I need a cataract removed in my right eye and had the lens replaced. Dr. Lichtenstein took his time explaining the procedure and the options to me in a manner which was clear without being condescending. All of his staff were friendly, professional and courteous. The procedure went smoothly and my recovery was swift. The new lens provided me with 20/20 vision, better reading ability and an unexpected benefit of more vivid colors. Highly recommended!

flag | Submitted June 26, 2017

If I could give lower than a 1 on punctuality, I would give it. He is ALWAYS at least 1 hour late, more often 1 1/2 hours. No respect for the patient's time. The patient is SOOO frustrated by the time they get in there they can't listen to him, only fume.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2016

May have been excellent in his younger days but not willing to progress to newer lens. Prefers the best distance vision. Also, pushes lazier as brings in more money. My biggest complaint is his unprofessional comments to my routine Doctor that he doesn't know I know about. Would not recommend.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2016

Dr. Lichtenstein came very highly recommended to me for my cataract surgeries and for surgery to correct my vision - and he and his staff truly delivered exceptional care. In addition to his amazing surgical expertise, Dr. Lichtenstein's "bedside manner" - his patience and ability to explain the procedures and the various options available so that I could make the best decisions for my situation - was very much appreciated. And all of those on his team and in his office offered the same exceptional level of service and expertise - everything ran like clockwork! I am so pleased with the results - am able to see both distance and intermediate/close without corrective lenses for the first time since I got glasses at age 7! Many thanks!

flag | Submitted November 22, 2015

I had various complications which is why I selected Dr. Lichtenstein to do my cateract surgery. Dr. Lichtenstein took the time to explain how my complications impacted the surgery and how he could deal with these complications. He explained my options to me so that I could have an outcome that was best for me. In the end I could not have been more pleased with the outcome. I would strongly recommend Dr. Lichtenstein for anyone who needs cateract surgery.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2013

I had a difficult problem which involved complications from previous eye surgery. I saw several doctors for their recommendations. Dr. Lichtenberg understood the problem in ways the other didn't. Now I'm able to see things that I haven't been able to see in years. Thank you Dr. Lichtenstein.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2013

Dr. Lichtenstein and his office staff kept me from going blind. Another doctor did cataract surgery on my left eye. My vision was so poor that I searched for another doctor to give me a second opinion. I described my problem to the receptionist who answered the phone. She told me that my eye was an emergency and that I needed to come promptly. Soon, Dr. Lichtenstein did a second surgery and restored my vision and saved my eye using five stitches. Recently, he did cataract surgery on my right eye. I have had a problem with ataxia most of my life. Before the surgery, he suggested that the procedure might improve my ataxia which I have had nearly all of my life. I was cautiously optimistic. Indeed my vision is much better and to my surprise, so has my ataxia. I am very grateful to him and his staff for enabling me to more actively in my wonderful life.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2013

I needed cataract surgery in both eyes. Due to other eye problems which impacted on the surgery, Dr. Lichtenstein patiently spent over an hour with me on 2 separate occasions to explain the problems, answer my questions, make sure I understood everything and felt comfortable with the procedures. He was kind, considerate and explained it all in layperson's terms. He also explained about a new laser he uses that is incredibly precise. My surgery was a huge success. I no longer need glasses or contact lenses. I could not be happier!! I went from legally blind to 20/20 vision and my astigmatism was corrected. Denise, my ophthalmology technician, and Gloria, the surgery scheduler were equally kind, considerate and always helpful (no matter how many times I asked the same question). Dr. Lichtenstein demonstrated that he really cares about his patients in addition to caring for them.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2013

Dr. Stephen B. Lichtenstein's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Lichtenstein received his medical degree from Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. He completed his residency in ophthalmology at Wills Eye Hospital serving as Chief Resident from 1977-1978. In 1979, he completed a Clinical Fellowship in Cornea, Anterior Segment Surgery, and Complications of Cataract Surgery at Ohio State University. He was certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology in 1979. Dr. Lichtenstein is an Attending Surgeon on the Cataract and Primary EyeCare Service of Wills Eye Hospital. He is also on the staff of Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and Lankenau Hospital. Since 1983, he has limited his practice to cataract surgery, high-risk cataract surgery, and the management of complications of cataract surgery. He has been a clinical investigator in multiple FDA-monitored intraocular implant studies, and has lectured extensively regarding cataract surgery technique and technology and the management of complications. He has been awarded the Honor Award for Teaching by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He has personally performed more than 25,000 cataract operations over the past 30 years. Dr. Lichtenstein has served on the Scientific Advisory Board for the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. He has been a scientific reviewer for the journal Ophthalmology and is the “Cataract Surgery” Section editor for Duane’s Textbook on Clinical Ophthalmology. He has been frequently listed as one of the Top Doctors for cataract surgery in the region and was listed as a Top Doctor in Ophthalmology in 2009 and 2010 in Main Line Today. He was also featured in the March/April 2011 Issue of Premier Surgeon.

• English

• Jefferson Medical College Of Thomas Jefferson University (Grad. 1974)

• Cataracts