Ratings for Dr. Laurie Frakes

I will always be grateful to Dr. Frakes. I had a fairly unusual aggressive stage IV type of Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. She researched my situation extensively and consulted with her peers before initiating a very aggressive regimen. Her nurses were fabulous throughout and her follow up scrupulous. I have now been in 100% remission for over two years.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2015

I was treated by Doctor Frakes about 13-14 years ago when I had traveled to California from Maryland seeking Alternative Cancer treatment for my Non-Hodkins Lymphoma. I met her at the Scripps in Encinitas Hospital when I had to be admitted for complications associated with my cancer. This was the result of not wanting to do chemo therapy and wanting to treat my cancer with Alternative methods. To this day I call her MY SAVING ANGEL if it had not been for her I would not be alive today. She first convinced me that I needed to be treated with Chemo which I was trying to avoid. She explained things to me in such a way that immediately after meeting her I trusted her and put my care in her hands. What I would never forget is that she would have her nurse call me if she did not see me at the clinic or just to check up on me to see how I was doing. She was always kind, compassionate and above all very knowledgeable , and to this day I owe my remission to her care and her method of dealing with my type of cancer. What I admire most about her was how thorough she was, she would prepare progress notes everytime I traveled to Maryland outlining everything that had been done with respect to my treatment. I traveled to California to see her for a follow-up appointment several years ago and she was still the same caring and compasionate human being that I met at the Scripps clinic in Encinitas. I have been in remission since completing my treatment with Dr. Frakes 13-14 years ago and like another patient of Dr. Frakes stated I too am confident and certain that my Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma is in remission because of the treatment plan and exceptional knowledge of Dr. Frakes. She will always be my saving Angel!

flag | Submitted May 3, 2015

After my treatment was over I had my first follow up two months later. At this appointment she wouldn't treat a simple problem I had, or fill out paperwork that sat on her desk for four months. She told me to go to my primary. She then got up and left while I was asking a question. I asked the ? At the front desk . I heard the girl up front call back and ask and was promised I would be called back. By this time I had decided it wasn't the first time I was treated like I was an annoyance but it would be the last. Usually throughout my care I had to call back three times before I would get an answer. So this time I thought I'd see how long it took for them to call me. It took them 11 MONTHS! My ? was, when do I come back as a follow up( from my year long chemo treatments). It just confirmed to me that all she was interested in was the big bucks the cancer treatments brought. It was a lot of money. And now that I don't bring in money, I wasn't worth her time. I never felt compassion from her or her staff. I didn't think compassion would matter when I first met her but I was wrong. It does matter. My new oncologist found many errors and neglected tests as follow ups that should have been ordered. I absolutely regret spending my time with her.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2015

Dr. Laurie Frakes

Dr. Laurie Frakes's response
Hello, Thank you for your review. We are following up with feedback like yours in an effort to improve patient experience in our practice. Our doctors and staff strive to provide the most thorough care to all patients, as we know cancer treatment is both expensive and stressful. I am sorry to hear of any miscommunication that you may have experienced. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at (760) 212-0567 if you would like to discuss the situation further and work together to reach a resolution. Thank you, Alicia Shell, Director of Operations

Submitted February 23, 2017

I received top notch care for breast cancer. My experience from the inception was nothing but professional, thorough, friendly, caring, compassionate and, believe it or not, loving care from Dr. Frakes and the staff at both locations. From the very beginning, I was treated well and continue to be treated fantastic by the group. With that being said, keep in mind that this office is very busy and with the number of people that are treated by Dr. Frakes and the staff, there can be some mix-ups. Be realistic and know that you are important and your care is very high priority. I am lucky to have been cared for by Dr. Frakes, the team and her staff. She and they are an incredible group of people dealing with an incredible amount of pressure to make sure everyone is well taken care of. I am confident that my breast cancer is in remission because of the treatment plan and exceptional knowledge of Dr. Frakes. Thank you for saving my life!!! I will be forever be indebted to them. Best of luck!

flag | Submitted December 4, 2014

She is a wonderful and pleasant human being. She is very Knowledgeable and made me feel very comfortable. She communicates very clearly and warmly. Dr. Frakes is a fantastic physician.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2014

Doesn't answer my questions when I ask. Walked out on me while I was asking a question. Still haven't gotten a call back to answer my question over a month ago. Neglected to tell me test results, that my second opinion picked up on right away.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2014

Rude. No compassion. No communication. No explanation for what she's checking. Example: I had to remind staff I needed a lab slip. Once I got it , there was multiple tests on it that I had no idea what it was for. The chemo nurses said they didn't know either. I had to go to Dr Google to find out she was testing me for auto immune disorders and blood cancers. I think I deserved a conversation about these possibilities. The bill for these tests was $1000. That's just one example of poor communication. I have many.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2014

Dr. Laurie Frakes's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Laurie Frakes completed her BSc in Biochemistry at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada, and received a Masters Degree in Immunology from the University of Calgary in Alberta, Canada. She then completed medical school and a Residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Calgary, followed by a Fellowship in Hematology/ Oncology at the Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation in La Jolla, California. Dr. Frakes is board certified in Hematology and Medical Oncology. Dr Frakes has a strong interest in research and is an active participant in clinical trials available through UCLA, as well as Scripps and biotech industry sponsored trials. Dr. Frakes’ practice focuses on breast cancer, but also includes general oncology and hematological disorders. She enjoys spending time with her husband, Dave, and her two young daughters.

• Spanish