Ratings for Dr. James R. Porter

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at age 44, and needless to say it was a complete shock. I thought this was something "old guys" got. My original urologist mid-diagnosed my condition until my wife forced him to test my PSA which ultimately ended in a biopsy of the prostate. Once diagnosed with cancer, I immediately switched doctors to the best one out there, at lucky for me Dr. Porter happened to be in my home town. Dr. Porter immediately got the infection under control and recommended a radical prostatectomy. As I contemplated my options, I spoke to the husband of my wife's friend, who underwent the same procedure with Dr. Porter and I felt this was best option for me. Being 45 at the time of surgery I had a lot of fears about continence and sexual function. After speaking with Dr. Porter I felt completely reassured on my post-op recovery. All I can say is that God blesses Dr. Porter's hands! After the surgery and catheter removal, I was out of using pads and had sexual functionality (with no pills) in less than 2 weeks. If you are you and are having reservations, see Dr. Porter. If you chose surgery, I recommend being in the best shape as possible, being otherwise healthy and fit, this no doubt aided in my recovery, but if it wasn't for Dr. Porter and his team I would not be the man I am today. Thank you Dr. Porter, truly amazing.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2017

When I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, I began the search for a good doctor/surgeon who was experienced and knowledgable in this area. After several weeks of research I discovered that most doctors in this field had poor ratings and results from the patients that had reviewed them. I was recommended to Doctor Porter by a patient of his. When I met with Doctor Porter and saw the reviews about him, the fear of having the procedure done was almost down to zero. Until I met Doctor Porter, the side affects from the surgery were almost as bad as the cancer itself as far as I was concerned. However Doctor Porter and his team removed all of those concerns and I have made a complete recovery in all aspects. I thank you Doctor Porter and would recommend Doctor Porter to anyone facing being diagnosed with prostate cancer. He took all the fear out of my mind and I have had none of the side affects that many have who have not had their procedure done by Dr Porter. THANK YOU DR PORTER AND SWEDISH UROLOGY!!!!

flag | Submitted January 12, 2017

Exactly six years ago, Dr Porter removed my prostate. I was told by my referring doctor that I had maybe five years to live. Thank God for Dr Porter - who saved my life. My goal was to see my grandkids - a dream come true. Thank you Dr P. (PS: I was #935).

flag | Submitted September 9, 2016

I just had my Radical Prostitechomy with lymph node dissection and removal of my right nerve bundle. I am 2 weeks out since my surgery on 8/26/2016 and I am very happy I chose Dr. James Porter. The "key" to this entire experience is just that "experience" and proven track record. Dr. Porter has done many of these over 3,000 of them and it could be and probably is even higher than that. So, experience and the same "team" that he's had helping him are pivotal in your decision making process. I was a Gleason 4+5 and all my tests prior to surgery showed nothing had left the prostate capsule. After the 7 days to remove the catheter and get my pathology report, the report revealed nothing had gone into the seminal vesicle or the 12 lymph nodes from each side. So, I am so blessed to have had such an expert do my surgery. He's a very highly demand person so schedule early. Best!

flag | Submitted September 8, 2016

To be brief: It has been nine months since Dr Porter performed a radical prostatectomy on me. As someone mentions below, this is not a touchy-feely situation, but a technical procedure and Dr Porter did an excellent job. Dr Porter's time and ability are in high demand and the entire operation--office operations, staff and surgery--are highly efficient. Expect to wait for what seems to be a long time for an initial consultation and the scheduling of the surgery. My results are everything I could have hoped for: PSA at zero, 90% of pre-operation urinary and sexual function-- and still improving. I attribute this to Dr Porter's technical skill and experience. Additionally, I was having some trouble with my insurance company over post-operative drug prescriptions and Dr Porter and his staff took the time to help by writing reports and appeals. I would recommend Dr Porter and his staff without hesitation.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2016

I feel fortunate to have found Dr. Porter! Because of him I did not lose my whole kidney, and continue to have good kidney function.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2016

Gold standard for robot-assisted prostatectomy in the PNW. He was recommended by a friend who is the Director of the Center for Global Health at Northwestern University and teaches at the Pierre et Marie Curie Université-Paris. He contacted a colleague who is a Professor of Medicine at the University of Washington and she gave me two referrals as the best in the West. Dr. Porter's credentials and experience made him my obvious choice once I decided to have the radical. No regrets. Do your homework.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2016

Was diagnosed with prostate cancer, met with many doctors that had many different treatment options. After meeting with all of them Dr. Porter seemed the most knowledgeable, explained the advantages of a prostatectomy versus the other treatments available. He was the most convincing of the other doctors. He didn't guarantee any results but from my biopsy results he though I could have a full recovery. It's been a month since the surgery and everything seems to going exactly as he and his assistants thought. He said after reviewing the biopsy of the removed prostate and surrounding lymph nodes the cancer was contained to the prostate. I get a psa test in a couple of weeks and if shows 0 I'm good. Why go anywhere else when we have the best in the country right here in the northwest.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2016

Just had my radical, laparoscopic prostatectomy on Thursday late PM. Today, Sunday noon, had my first bowel movement. Walking around, eating my regular diet. If you guys have a similar problem, go see the best... Dr.Porter. The guy is AWESOME.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2016

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer at age 46 in the winter of 2014. After researching my options I decided surgery was the best method for treatment. I did my due diligence about surgery and was referred to Dr. Porter. He has the most experience in the Northwest with the Robotic procedure. My surgery was done in Feb. 2015. All went well and so far my PSA is undetectable. Marital relations and continence is great. I think he cares and is very interested in my well being. I would definitely recommend Dr. Porter.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2015

Dr. James R. Porter's Credentials

• Medical College Of Ohio (Grad. 1990)