Ratings for Dr. James R. Porter

Exactly six years ago, Dr Porter removed my prostate. I was told by my referring doctor that I had maybe five years to live. Thank God for Dr Porter - who saved my life. My goal was to see my grandkids - a dream come true. Thank you Dr P. (PS: I was #935).

flag | Submitted September 9, 2016

I just had my Radical Prostitechomy with lymph node dissection and removal of my right nerve bundle. I am 2 weeks out since my surgery on 8/26/2016 and I am very happy I chose Dr. James Porter. The "key" to this entire experience is just that "experience" and proven track record. Dr. Porter has done many of these over 3,000 of them and it could be and probably is even higher than that. So, experience and the same "team" that he's had helping him are pivotal in your decision making process. I was a Gleason 4+5 and all my tests prior to surgery showed nothing had left the prostate capsule. After the 7 days to remove the catheter and get my pathology report, the report revealed nothing had gone into the seminal vesicle or the 12 lymph nodes from each side. So, I am so blessed to have had such an expert do my surgery. He's a very highly demand person so schedule early. Best!

flag | Submitted September 8, 2016

To be brief: It has been nine months since Dr Porter performed a radical prostatectomy on me. As someone mentions below, this is not a touchy-feely situation, but a technical procedure and Dr Porter did an excellent job. Dr Porter's time and ability are in high demand and the entire operation--office operations, staff and surgery--are highly efficient. Expect to wait for what seems to be a long time for an initial consultation and the scheduling of the surgery. My results are everything I could have hoped for: PSA at zero, 90% of pre-operation urinary and sexual function-- and still improving. I attribute this to Dr Porter's technical skill and experience. Additionally, I was having some trouble with my insurance company over post-operative drug prescriptions and Dr Porter and his staff took the time to help by writing reports and appeals. I would recommend Dr Porter and his staff without hesitation.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2016

I feel fortunate to have found Dr. Porter! Because of him I did not lose my whole kidney, and continue to have good kidney function.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2016

Gold standard for robot-assisted prostatectomy in the PNW. He was recommended by a friend who is the Director of the Center for Global Health at Northwestern University and teaches at the Pierre et Marie Curie Université-Paris. He contacted a colleague who is a Professor of Medicine at the University of Washington and she gave me two referrals as the best in the West. Dr. Porter's credentials and experience made him my obvious choice once I decided to have the radical. No regrets. Do your homework.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2016

Was diagnosed with prostate cancer, met with many doctors that had many different treatment options. After meeting with all of them Dr. Porter seemed the most knowledgeable, explained the advantages of a prostatectomy versus the other treatments available. He was the most convincing of the other doctors. He didn't guarantee any results but from my biopsy results he though I could have a full recovery. It's been a month since the surgery and everything seems to going exactly as he and his assistants thought. He said after reviewing the biopsy of the removed prostate and surrounding lymph nodes the cancer was contained to the prostate. I get a psa test in a couple of weeks and if shows 0 I'm good. Why go anywhere else when we have the best in the country right here in the northwest.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2016

Just had my radical, laparoscopic prostatectomy on Thursday late PM. Today, Sunday noon, had my first bowel movement. Walking around, eating my regular diet. If you guys have a similar problem, go see the best... Dr.Porter. The guy is AWESOME.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2016

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer at age 46 in the winter of 2014. After researching my options I decided surgery was the best method for treatment. I did my due diligence about surgery and was referred to Dr. Porter. He has the most experience in the Northwest with the Robotic procedure. My surgery was done in Feb. 2015. All went well and so far my PSA is undetectable. Marital relations and continence is great. I think he cares and is very interested in my well being. I would definitely recommend Dr. Porter.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2015

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in October of 2014. At the time I was 57 years old and had never experienced any symptoms. My regular physical and PSA test revealed that I had developed a problem. In January of 2015 I had a radical prostatectomy. My journey began with a lot of research. Would I go for proton therapy or would I have a radical prostatectomy? After examining the cost of proton therapy, and the fact that if you do radiation therapy first, surgery is not really a good option if the cancer returns, I selected to have a radical prostatectomy. I have two very close friends that told me about Dr. Porter and their experiences with him. After doing more research on Dr. Porter I knew he was the surgeon for me. The fact that he too is a prostate cancer survivor sealed the deal for me! I had read about all the side effects of this surgery and to be honest, I was terrified. My wife and I had only been married for five years and I was afraid of how these side effects would impact our level of intimacy. I have not suffered one single bout of incontinence, nor have I had any difficulty achieving an erection and making love to my wonderful wife. Dr. Porter was able to save one nerve bundle and that was fantastic. Four days after removal of my catheter I achieved an erection and made love to my wife. We were both amazed and tearfully shared our joy. Dr. Porter is one of the most highly skilled surgeons in our area for this procedure. Dr. Porter is not touch, feely. He gives you the information about your condition straight up. This is exactly what I was looking for in a surgeon. I am now 9 months out of surgery. I still have suffered no incontinence or impotency. Besides the skill of Doctor Porter, I had the best physical therapist anyone could ask for - my wife. No she is not available to help others. For any man going through this I would recommend two things. First, be open in your communication with your spouse or partner. Get their support firmly in place. Second, go to Dr. Porter. I hope that I never have to recommend Dr. Porter to anyone, but if I do, I know I can recommend to them the best Urologist in the Puget Sound or for that matter the country.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2015

I’m an active guy in his upper 40’s. I spend much of my free time on my two wheel passions – bicycles and motorcycles. A bike accident earlier this year put me in the ER. Unrelated to my injuries, the doctors noticed a small mass in the kidney area. In follow up tests, they found two masses – a small tumor on the outside of the kidney and another larger one right in the middle. Due to the size and the location of the tumor in the middle, the widely accepted clinical practice is removal of the entire kidney whether the tumor is benign or malignant. A biopsy wasn’t possible and yet there were indications that this was a renal angiomyolipoma – a common, benign kidney tumor. It seemed drastic to remove the kidney and I was concerned that my quality of life long term could be compromised. It was at this point my original urologist recommended Dr. Porter for a second opinion. Dr. Porter agreed that it would be complex but possible to save the kidney. Worst case the kidney would be removed. Three weeks later I had the surgery and it was a complete success. The tumor was benign, the kidney was saved and I only lost 3% of the processing capacity of the kidney. Compare that to a 50% loss if I had the kidney removed and it is nothing short of amazing. On the recovery side, it was tough for the first three weeks primarily because my case was complex. Once I hit week four, things were on the way to full recovery and I’ve been fine ever since. I’m grateful to my original urologist’s referral to Dr. Porter. I’m not sure I would have found him on my own. Dr. Porter is capable, confident and compassionate. I appreciated his frank communication and the care that he and his team provided. It was outstanding! It’s my hope that more patients have the chance to save their kidney and this procedure becomes more widely accepted and practiced.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2015

Dr. James R. Porter's Credentials

• Medical College Of Ohio (Grad. 1990)

Pacificare