Ratings for Dr. James R. Porter

I feel fortunate to have found Dr. Porter! Because of him I did not lose my whole kidney, and continue to have good kidney function.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2016

Gold standard for robot-assisted prostatectomy in the PNW. He was recommended by a friend who is the Director of the Center for Global Health at Northwestern University and teaches at the Pierre et Marie Curie Université-Paris. He contacted a colleague who is a Professor of Medicine at the University of Washington and she gave me two referrals as the best in the West. Dr. Porter's credentials and experience made him my obvious choice once I decided to have the radical. No regrets. Do your homework.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2016

Was diagnosed with prostate cancer, met with many doctors that had many different treatment options. After meeting with all of them Dr. Porter seemed the most knowledgeable, explained the advantages of a prostatectomy versus the other treatments available. He was the most convincing of the other doctors. He didn't guarantee any results but from my biopsy results he though I could have a full recovery. It's been a month since the surgery and everything seems to going exactly as he and his assistants thought. He said after reviewing the biopsy of the removed prostate and surrounding lymph nodes the cancer was contained to the prostate. I get a psa test in a couple of weeks and if shows 0 I'm good. Why go anywhere else when we have the best in the country right here in the northwest.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2016

Just had my radical, laparoscopic prostatectomy on Thursday late PM. Today, Sunday noon, had my first bowel movement. Walking around, eating my regular diet. If you guys have a similar problem, go see the best... Dr.Porter. The guy is AWESOME.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2016

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer at age 46 in the winter of 2014. After researching my options I decided surgery was the best method for treatment. I did my due diligence about surgery and was referred to Dr. Porter. He has the most experience in the Northwest with the Robotic procedure. My surgery was done in Feb. 2015. All went well and so far my PSA is undetectable. Marital relations and continence is great. I think he cares and is very interested in my well being. I would definitely recommend Dr. Porter.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2015

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in October of 2014. At the time I was 57 years old and had never experienced any symptoms. My regular physical and PSA test revealed that I had developed a problem. In January of 2015 I had a radical prostatectomy. My journey began with a lot of research. Would I go for proton therapy or would I have a radical prostatectomy? After examining the cost of proton therapy, and the fact that if you do radiation therapy first, surgery is not really a good option if the cancer returns, I selected to have a radical prostatectomy. I have two very close friends that told me about Dr. Porter and their experiences with him. After doing more research on Dr. Porter I knew he was the surgeon for me. The fact that he too is a prostate cancer survivor sealed the deal for me! I had read about all the side effects of this surgery and to be honest, I was terrified. My wife and I had only been married for five years and I was afraid of how these side effects would impact our level of intimacy. I have not suffered one single bout of incontinence, nor have I had any difficulty achieving an erection and making love to my wonderful wife. Dr. Porter was able to save one nerve bundle and that was fantastic. Four days after removal of my catheter I achieved an erection and made love to my wife. We were both amazed and tearfully shared our joy. Dr. Porter is one of the most highly skilled surgeons in our area for this procedure. Dr. Porter is not touch, feely. He gives you the information about your condition straight up. This is exactly what I was looking for in a surgeon. I am now 9 months out of surgery. I still have suffered no incontinence or impotency. Besides the skill of Doctor Porter, I had the best physical therapist anyone could ask for - my wife. No she is not available to help others. For any man going through this I would recommend two things. First, be open in your communication with your spouse or partner. Get their support firmly in place. Second, go to Dr. Porter. I hope that I never have to recommend Dr. Porter to anyone, but if I do, I know I can recommend to them the best Urologist in the Puget Sound or for that matter the country.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2015

I’m an active guy in his upper 40’s. I spend much of my free time on my two wheel passions – bicycles and motorcycles. A bike accident earlier this year put me in the ER. Unrelated to my injuries, the doctors noticed a small mass in the kidney area. In follow up tests, they found two masses – a small tumor on the outside of the kidney and another larger one right in the middle. Due to the size and the location of the tumor in the middle, the widely accepted clinical practice is removal of the entire kidney whether the tumor is benign or malignant. A biopsy wasn’t possible and yet there were indications that this was a renal angiomyolipoma – a common, benign kidney tumor. It seemed drastic to remove the kidney and I was concerned that my quality of life long term could be compromised. It was at this point my original urologist recommended Dr. Porter for a second opinion. Dr. Porter agreed that it would be complex but possible to save the kidney. Worst case the kidney would be removed. Three weeks later I had the surgery and it was a complete success. The tumor was benign, the kidney was saved and I only lost 3% of the processing capacity of the kidney. Compare that to a 50% loss if I had the kidney removed and it is nothing short of amazing. On the recovery side, it was tough for the first three weeks primarily because my case was complex. Once I hit week four, things were on the way to full recovery and I’ve been fine ever since. I’m grateful to my original urologist’s referral to Dr. Porter. I’m not sure I would have found him on my own. Dr. Porter is capable, confident and compassionate. I appreciated his frank communication and the care that he and his team provided. It was outstanding! It’s my hope that more patients have the chance to save their kidney and this procedure becomes more widely accepted and practiced.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2015

In October 2014, I was diagnosed with very aggressive cancer throughout my prostate. The urologists that were recommended by my GP left me less than impressed. One even talked about the advantages of doing "hands on" surgery instead of robotics. That's when I decided to do my own research. There were some very good candidates but after reading everything I could find going back many years one person stood out. The one who helped pioneer robotics in the Northwest; James Porter with the Swedish Urology Group. I expected him to be very expensive but he was on the preferred providers list for my insurance so it was a no brainer. My initial visit to his office was far superior in detail and explanation than anything I had received previously. He made no promises but said they would do everything possible to save the nerve bundles where the other doctors had already given me brochures for penile pump implants and one had even suggested that they insert the pump during removal of the prostate. I scheduled the surgery with doctor Porter for December 2014. During recovery I learned that the surgery was long and difficult (which explained the pain in my legs because they had to keep them at odd angles for an extended period) but they had managed to save one set of nerve bundles. It is now 10 months later. The incontinence issue is almost gone and my erections are functional which was not something I expected considering the input I had received from the different surgeons. I will say this, if you want someone to hold your hand and cry with you this is not the guy. If you want a top surgeon doing everything in his skill-set to get you the best possible outcome then you can't go wrong here.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2015

Recently, Dr. Porter and his team removed a cancerous tumor on my left kidney. He used a DaVinci robot and performed a partial nephrectomy. The results and my entire experience was fantastic. He exceeded my expectations far more than I can express. I traveled from Hawaii to Seattle in hopes Dr. Porter would take on my case. He reviewed all the records I sent to his office and called me very quickly. Not only that, he also accommodated my needs by making time in his surgery schedule for me. In less than a week, the surgery was performed and I was back at my brother's house in Seattle without the pain I expected. In fact, I did not need narcotic pain relievers outside the hospital at all. I was discharged the day after surgery. Other than getting cancer, Dr. Porter and his team made the experience incredibly positive. With his flexibility and ability to accommodate special circumstances, I will be continuing post-surgical care and surveillance of the cancer with Dr. Porter and his team until it is no longer needed. They are incredible. I can not express my gratitude or satisfaction in any manner as to do him justice. I highly recommend Dr. Porter and his team. Anyone lucky enough to be treated by Dr. Porter will feel very fortunate and privileged.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2015

I was diagnosed with surgery in August of 2014. The biopsy was a Gleason score of 8 (4 +4). Beyond just the diagnosis, over the prior two years of my diagnosis I had noticed increased pressure in my pelvis and significant difficulty urinating. Dr. Porter and his team were excellent during the time of the biopsy (painless) and fully discussed all the therapy options. My preference was to undergo surgery and this was performed by Dr Porter in October 2014. As others have described, his professionalism and attention to my personal and family's questions was excellent. My care was excellent and the only nuisance was going home with a catheter (but required). Any frustration was quickly counterbalanced when the catheter was removed and I had bladder control from the very first day. My bladder felt different and I had to be more aware the first few weeks but my bladder control far exceeded my expectations. I found that maintaining regular exercise and keeping my weight under control also helped me control bladder urgency. Erections were a bit slower to recover. I was able to have intercourse within the first post operative month and continue to have success. Erections are not quite as spontaneous or as complete as in the past yet again far exceeded my expectations and I continue to be actively intimate with my spouse. The surgeon's skill and your partner's support is an essential part of success in this area!! It has now been one year after my surgery, my PSA's remain undetectable and I feel healthier than I have for years. For me, finding Dr Porter and having him and his team provide my care was an excellent experience.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2015

Dr. James R. Porter's Credentials

• Medical College Of Ohio (Grad. 1990)