Ratings for Dr. James R. Porter

I 'am a female who would like to share my experience with Dr. James Porter. After seven years of agonizing pain, a failed Pyeloplasty surgery to repair a blockage on my right ureter and seeing several Florida Urologists, a dear friend highly recommended Dr. Porter to me. When Dr. Porter called me I was very surprised that he knew all the right questions to ask me. I was amazed by his remarkable insight. His diagnosis was Renal Ptosis. Dr. Porter is filled with a genuine passion for what he does serving his patients with a caring and compassionate attitude. It is very rare these days to hear a doctor say,"I really love what I do. I'm excited to get up every morning to do surgery, because my patients do very well. " Dr. Porter takes an entirely different approach, because he has been a patient himself. Believe me flying all the way from Florida to Seattle to meet Dr. Porter for the first time and have surgery the next day was a huge step, however I can say he was extremely empathic and understanding. It speaks volumes that he would even consider taking me as a patient, since I did not have Kidney cancer. One doctor said you can live with the pain and have a draining tube put in. Another doctor said, "You have a blockage and I can do an open Pyeloplasty(not robotic). Today, I am free from the pain I had. My experience with Dr. Porter was ,"Over the Top,"(phenomenal) A truly gifted doctor who treats you like a Real human being.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2017

I am a 63 year old female who is sharing my story for Dr. James Porter. After seven years of agonizing pain, a failed Robotic Pyeloplasty surgery to repair a blockage on my right ureter and seeing several Florida Urologists, a dear friend highly recommended Dr. James Porter to me. When Dr. Porter called me I was very surprised that he knew all the right questions to ask me. I was amazed by his remarkable insight. His diagnosis was Renal Ptosis. Dr. Porter is filled with a genuine passion for what he does serving his patients with a caring and compassionate attitude. It is rare these days to hear a doctor say,"I really love what I do. I 'm excited to get up every morning to do surgery, because my patients do very well." Dr. Porter takes an entirely different approach because he has been a patient himself. Believe me flying all the way from Florida to Seattle to meet a doctor for the first time, and have surgery the next day was a huge step, It speaks volumes that he took me as a patient, since I did not have Kidney cancer. I can truly say he was extremely empathic and understanding. The Urologists I saw had differing diagnosis. The doctor said you can live with the pain, and have a draining tube put in. Another doctor said"You have a blockage and I can do an open Pyeloplasty surgery(not robotic). Today , I 'am free from the pain I had. My experience with Dr. Porter was ,"Over the Top,"(phenomenal). A truly gifted doctor who treats you like a Real human being.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2017

After seven years of agonizing pain, a failed Robotic Pyeloplasty surgery to repair a blockage on my right ureter and seeing several Florida Urologists, a dear friend highly recommended Dr. Porter to me. When Dr. Porter called me I was very surprised that he knew all the right questions to ask me. I was amazed by his remarkable insight. His diagnosis was Renal Ptosis. Dr. Porter is filled with a genuine passion for what he does serving his patients with a caring and compassionate attitude. It is very rare these days to hear a doctor say,"I really love what I do. I'm excited to get up every morning to do surgery, because my patients do very well." Dr. Porter takes and entirely different approach, because he has been a patient himself. Believe me flying all the way from Florida to Seattle to meet a doctor for the first time, to have surgery the next day was a huge step. It is surreal that he even took me as a patient, since I did not have Kidney cancer. I can truly say he was extremely empathic and understanding. The doctors all gave me different diagnosis. The doctor's options were live with the pain, have a draining tube put in or,"You have a blockage and I can do an open Pyeloplasty( not robotic). Today, I am free from the agonizing pain I had. My experience with Dr. Porter was ,"Over The top,"(phenomenal). A truly gifted doctor who treats you like a Real human being.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2017

Considerable research led me to Dr. James R. Porter, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome of my DaVinci robotic prostatectomy. Dr. Porter has perfected his procedure using the Da Vinci system and the benefit to me was very little post operative pain, small incisions, immediate bladder control, and relief that the I am now cancer free. Even though I am only 56 and my Gleason score was only a 3+3 (and PSA of 3.8), post operative pathology revealed that the tumor was at or adjacent to the prostate boundary in a location where it could have spread to other parts of the body. I am really glad that I did not put off the operation for a few years in favor of watchful waiting after finding out the dangerous location of the small Gleason 6 tumor. I would put Dr James R. Porter in a class of the very best at what he does.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2017

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at age 44, and needless to say it was a complete shock. I thought this was something "old guys" got. My original urologist mid-diagnosed my condition until my wife forced him to test my PSA which ultimately ended in a biopsy of the prostate. Once diagnosed with cancer, I immediately switched doctors to the best one out there, at lucky for me Dr. Porter happened to be in my home town. Dr. Porter immediately got the infection under control and recommended a radical prostatectomy. As I contemplated my options, I spoke to the husband of my wife's friend, who underwent the same procedure with Dr. Porter and I felt this was best option for me. Being 45 at the time of surgery I had a lot of fears about continence and sexual function. After speaking with Dr. Porter I felt completely reassured on my post-op recovery. All I can say is that God blesses Dr. Porter's hands! After the surgery and catheter removal, I was out of using pads and had sexual functionality (with no pills) in less than 2 weeks. If you are you and are having reservations, see Dr. Porter. If you chose surgery, I recommend being in the best shape as possible, being otherwise healthy and fit, this no doubt aided in my recovery, but if it wasn't for Dr. Porter and his team I would not be the man I am today. Thank you Dr. Porter, truly amazing.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2017

When I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, I began the search for a good doctor/surgeon who was experienced and knowledgable in this area. After several weeks of research I discovered that most doctors in this field had poor ratings and results from the patients that had reviewed them. I was recommended to Doctor Porter by a patient of his. When I met with Doctor Porter and saw the reviews about him, the fear of having the procedure done was almost down to zero. Until I met Doctor Porter, the side affects from the surgery were almost as bad as the cancer itself as far as I was concerned. However Doctor Porter and his team removed all of those concerns and I have made a complete recovery in all aspects. I thank you Doctor Porter and would recommend Doctor Porter to anyone facing being diagnosed with prostate cancer. He took all the fear out of my mind and I have had none of the side affects that many have who have not had their procedure done by Dr Porter. THANK YOU DR PORTER AND SWEDISH UROLOGY!!!!

flag | Submitted January 12, 2017

Exactly six years ago, Dr Porter removed my prostate. I was told by my referring doctor that I had maybe five years to live. Thank God for Dr Porter - who saved my life. My goal was to see my grandkids - a dream come true. Thank you Dr P. (PS: I was #935).

flag | Submitted September 9, 2016

I just had my Radical Prostitechomy with lymph node dissection and removal of my right nerve bundle. I am 2 weeks out since my surgery on 8/26/2016 and I am very happy I chose Dr. James Porter. The "key" to this entire experience is just that "experience" and proven track record. Dr. Porter has done many of these over 3,000 of them and it could be and probably is even higher than that. So, experience and the same "team" that he's had helping him are pivotal in your decision making process. I was a Gleason 4+5 and all my tests prior to surgery showed nothing had left the prostate capsule. After the 7 days to remove the catheter and get my pathology report, the report revealed nothing had gone into the seminal vesicle or the 12 lymph nodes from each side. So, I am so blessed to have had such an expert do my surgery. He's a very highly demand person so schedule early. Best!

flag | Submitted September 8, 2016

To be brief: It has been nine months since Dr Porter performed a radical prostatectomy on me. As someone mentions below, this is not a touchy-feely situation, but a technical procedure and Dr Porter did an excellent job. Dr Porter's time and ability are in high demand and the entire operation--office operations, staff and surgery--are highly efficient. Expect to wait for what seems to be a long time for an initial consultation and the scheduling of the surgery. My results are everything I could have hoped for: PSA at zero, 90% of pre-operation urinary and sexual function-- and still improving. I attribute this to Dr Porter's technical skill and experience. Additionally, I was having some trouble with my insurance company over post-operative drug prescriptions and Dr Porter and his staff took the time to help by writing reports and appeals. I would recommend Dr Porter and his staff without hesitation.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2016

I feel fortunate to have found Dr. Porter! Because of him I did not lose my whole kidney, and continue to have good kidney function.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2016

Dr. James R. Porter's Credentials

• Medical College Of Ohio (Grad. 1990)