Ratings for Dr. James R. Porter

Dr. Porter is fabulous! Very professional, informative, very knowledgeable. And very good at what he does. He was recommended by three people , a neighbor and couple guys my husband worked with on different job sites. We tell everyone about him. His nursing staff are great . But if you need a prescription filled , call a week a head of time. The time I went in to get a refill , I called in about an hour. It want ready , waited 25 minutes. So this time I planned ahead better. I call at 9:15 am said I would pick up just before 1:00 pm. I got there because of traffic and trying to find a parking spot at 1:30 pm. 4 hours and 15 minutes later from when I called. Prescription was Not ready. I waited another 35 minutes. Went up to the once when I got there, then 20 minutes later .... had I not called in ahead of time I wouldn’t expect anything different. They are very busy that is why I tried to accommodate both of us. But really. A patient asked about parking validation. She said they won’t let us do that. ?? Besides she said it’s not expensive. I paid $8.00 for 1 hour of finding a parking spot and waiting around. Dr. Porter is so great ! But for prescriptions you have to pick up , plan way ahead of time, Thank you Dr. Porter!!!!!

flag | Submitted May 16, 2018

I feel so fortunate that I was able to have Dr. Porter perform my surgery. My Gleason score was a 6 going into surgery. Turned out it was a 7 according to the pathology so I was particularly glad to have opted to treat my cancer. After the first few days, I had very little pain following the operation, and my results have been incredible. I stayed home from work for two weeks, but actually went in the office a bit during week 2. By week 3 I was almost full time at work, save for going home early a couple of the days. My incontinence has been very minimal and I feel certain that will not be a long-term issue. I could tell after two weeks that my sexual function and our intimacy would also not be a problem. After week 4, my wife and were able have intercourse...way ahead of schedule. Throughout the process, Dr. Porter has made us feel assured of the process and of his ability to help. I read somewhere that Dr. Porter is one of the top 5 physicians for robotic prostatectomy. I have no doubt.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2018

I am a surgeon myself and was diagnosed with Stage IIa Seminoma August 2017. After visiting MD Anderson, Cleveland, Sloan Kettering, Indiana and UTSW, I selected Dr. James Porter for my robotic RPLND for his expertise and experience. It was a 1 day hospital stay and a couple week recovery, but my beta Hcg went from 60 to 2 five days after surgery. Life changing event.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2018

One year ago, my primary care physician discovered a "nodule" during my annual rectal digital examination. I was referred to the Clinic's urologist who conducted and the biopsy. The results were NOT good. During his consultation he stated I had Prostate CANCER. And I don't remember anything else that was said. My wife and I made the smartest decision ever, we asked for a referral for Dr. Porter. If you review the latest medical literature and your goal is to be CANCER FREE, this was a no-brainer. Dr. Porter and his staff are world class. From his opening consult through the journey of surgery, Dr. Porter is with you every step of the way. You can read all the other comments, read his comments on his web-site, Dr. Porter is the REAL DEAL. I can think of no one else more incredibly focused on you. I feel BLESSED that I was diagnosed quickly, BUT I AM MOST BLESSED that Dr. Porter was and is my Doctor.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2018

Cancer is stressfull then include a six week wait for an appointment, 90 minute wait to see doctor, urology fellow comes instead of doctor, doctor finally comes and our 1.5 scheduled surgical consult lasted 20 minutes. Scheduling phone calls were not returned for 2-3 days. Very disappointing and frustrating experience.

Submitted February 7, 2018

I am a female age 31 with polycystic kidney disease. I had been trying to find a surgeon to perform multiple cyst removals on my kidneys to reduce their size. I searched for a long time before a urologist in New York recommended Dr. Porter. I talked with his (very helpful and nice) staff for a few weeks trying to get my CT images to them for Dr. Porter to review. Once he saw them, he fit me in the next day for a consult after a long day of surgery. My husband and I met with him at 6pm on a Friday (Dr. Porter still in his scrubs from his last procedure). He was kind enough to talk with us for upwards of an hour about my images and what he thought he could do surgically. I walked into his office prepared to have to convince Dr. Porter to do the surgery (as I had to do with every other surgeon I had spoken with up to this point), but Dr. Porter was all in from minute he walked in. I didn't have to convince him, he just wanted to help get me some relief and improve my quality of life. I really appreciated that such a highly regarded and busy doctor who deals with cancer patients took the time to meet with me to simply help me feel better. He walked us through the procedure and set our expectations. I then worked with his scheduler (Jen you are so great!!!) to fit me into his (very busy!) schedule the next Friday. Dr. Porter was able to remove about 100 cysts from my right kidney through a single less than 2 inch long incision in my abdomen with very little blood loss and no drain required. I went home the next day, and although I had a decent amount of abdominal swelling for the next month or so, I now feel so much better on my right side because he was able to remove so much volume from my kidney. I am scheduled for the left side to be reduced in a few weeks and am actually excited because I have so much confidence in Dr. Porter and his team's capabilities. I feel like I am in the best hands possible for a surgical procedure. In summary, Dr. Porter and his staff are world class and I feel incredibly blessed to have found them. Highly recommend them to anyone in need of a urologist.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2017

My GP was one of those who does not encourage his patients to use the PSA test. Consequently, I was a little late in discovering a change from 4.1 to 10.2 over 4 years. I had been told by my GP that 4.1 was normal for a man my age (65). When I talked him into another test 4 years later it returned 10.2 and a frantic telephone call from him. I have a friend who is a very long time nurse at UW Hospital. I always ask her where to go and who to see for big problems. She sent me to Dr Torgerson and Dr. Porter at Swedish Urology Group. My care could not have been managed quicker or better. Dr. Porter performed a radical prostatectomy using DaVinci. He is simply the best. I always look forward to speaking with him as I make my way through the post operative visits. The cancer had begun to migrate beyond the prostate causing Dr. Porter to remove one nerve bundle, the seminal vesicles, large margins and 25 lymph nodes along with the prostate. UI has not been a problem, ED exists but is improving as Dr. Porter said it would. PSA tests to date have returned "undetectable". None of this is fun but Dr. Porter will make it as good an experience and outcome as it can be.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2017

It’s been four months since Dr Porter performed my radical prostatectomy and lymph node removal. My Gleason score was 7(4+3) with perineurial invasion which made me think that my cancer had very possibly spread beyond the prostate. I was also prepared to have at least one nerve bundle removed during the surgery for that reason. However, after the surgery Dr Porter reported that the cancer didn’t seem to have spread beyond the prostate. He was able to remove the prostate and lymph nodes without damaging the nerves very much at all. As a result I’m way ahead of the recovery schedule and pretty much back to complete sexual function. Also, incontinence hasn’t been an issue except for the first couple of weeks and my PSA level is close to zero. I’m 53 and I’ve been told that my age helps but most of the success obviously goes to Dr. Porter and his skills. For someone who has done thousands of these procedures Dr. Porter was always very patient and clear in answering my questions both before and after the operation. He seemed genuinely thrilled to hear about my excellent progress. I did a lot of research on surgeons before my procedure and Dr Porter was recommended by many of the Urologists I spoke to including the head of the Urology department at UCLA. I’ve already referred an acquaintance from out of town to Dr. Porter for the same procedure.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2017

I 'am a female who would like to share my experience with Dr. James Porter. After seven years of agonizing pain, a failed Pyeloplasty surgery to repair a blockage on my right ureter and seeing several Florida Urologists, a dear friend highly recommended Dr. Porter to me. When Dr. Porter called me I was very surprised that he knew all the right questions to ask me. I was amazed by his remarkable insight. His diagnosis was Renal Ptosis. Dr. Porter is filled with a genuine passion for what he does serving his patients with a caring and compassionate attitude. It is very rare these days to hear a doctor say,"I really love what I do. I'm excited to get up every morning to do surgery, because my patients do very well. " Dr. Porter takes an entirely different approach, because he has been a patient himself. Believe me flying all the way from Florida to Seattle to meet Dr. Porter for the first time and have surgery the next day was a huge step, however I can say he was extremely empathic and understanding. It speaks volumes that he would even consider taking me as a patient, since I did not have Kidney cancer. One doctor said you can live with the pain and have a draining tube put in. Another doctor said, "You have a blockage and I can do an open Pyeloplasty(not robotic). Today, I am free from the pain I had. My experience with Dr. Porter was ,"Over the Top,"(phenomenal) A truly gifted doctor who treats you like a Real human being.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2017

Considerable research led me to Dr. James R. Porter, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome of my DaVinci robotic prostatectomy. Dr. Porter has perfected his procedure using the Da Vinci system and the benefit to me was very little post operative pain, small incisions, immediate bladder control, and relief that the I am now cancer free. Even though I am only 56 and my Gleason score was only a 3+3 (and PSA of 3.8), post operative pathology revealed that the tumor was at or adjacent to the prostate boundary in a location where it could have spread to other parts of the body. I am really glad that I did not put off the operation for a few years in favor of watchful waiting after finding out the dangerous location of the small Gleason 6 tumor. I would put Dr James R. Porter in a class of the very best at what he does.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2017

Dr. James R. Porter's Credentials

• Medical College Of Ohio (Grad. 1990)

HealthPartners