Ratings for Dr. Kent W. Small

Great doctor! Attentive staff that smiles when you come in. And usually on time with appointments, a rarity in the medical field.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2016

His staff is very professional and always smiling. I didn't have to wait for a long time and Dr. Small was great. He took the time to describe Age-Related Macular Degeneration and all the treatments available. All in all, they were great!

flag | Submitted October 12, 2015

Here is just a short list version why I gave 1 star: 1. The doctor, Kent Small, diagnosed me with a serious irreversible disease which is his specialty. I, the patient, had to prove him wrong based on the very information that he had in my file plus a quick research on a couple of medical websites. 2. His office is disorganized - it took an hour for them to locate my medical records while I was waiting in the exam room. 3. After weeks of trying to get a copy of my medical records from this office - I gave up. 4. He "strongly recommends" his patients iNutrients by Molecular Envision Inc. and his office sells them. A few facts: a). Molecular Envision Inc is his own company but you have to do your own on-line research to find out. b). He "strongly recommends" his vitamins as a preventive for Macula Degeneration but it is a known fact that vitamins DO NOT prevent AMD. They might slow-down the progress of this decease in the beginning and intermediate stage - not prevent it!. Needless to say, I am not his patient anymore :).

Submitted July 23, 2015

Dr. Kent W. Small

Dr. Kent W. Small's response
Hello, I am extremely sorry that you still seem to have misunderstood our conversations in person in the office and on the phone despite multiple lengthy conversations. 1. Since you have chosen not to leave a name, I will respond in generalities, vs specifics. Some patients will present with Drusen in their macula and I will state that this may be the beginning of age related macular degeneration (AMD). Many patients hear the words AMD and feel they are burdened with this eye disease, but it may be many years before it affects the vision, if ever. I try to make my evaluation very clear, but I may not have made it clear to you. I always give informative brochures to my patients so they can further read about their eye condition. Based on your comments, I will work harder to make sure my evaluations are clear to my patients. 2. My office converted to electronic medical records (EMR) several years ago. We have had a few patients return after an extended absence (more then two years) and it usually takes 10-20 minutes to locate their old paper medical chart and enter their previous examinations in our EMR, we will do a better job explaining our slight delay to our returning patients. 3. All previous requests for medical records by patients have been processed and they are normally handled within one week. The only exceptions that I can think of are 1. I am on vacation and since I review all request for medical records to ensure they are complete, the request will be delayed until I return. 2. We charge a fee (as recommended by the California Medical Association etc) for sending our records and request that payment be made in advance. If patients, have questions or issues, with the charge, it may hold up the sending of the records. If you are still in need of your medical records, please notify us. 4. I agree that the available published scientific data can be confusing. You have apparently and understandably not read the voluminous scientific literature on this subject. I have. I have been involved in extensive research involving AMD and have been the recipient of many research grant form the NIH/ NEI (National Eye Institute, Foundation Fighting Blindness to name few). I always strongly recommend taking of certain vitamins and eating certain vegetables and fish for my patients that may have AMD or subject to AMD or are at risk for developing AMD. The older standard AREDS vitamins and vegetables do not prevent AMD, but slows the progress (I have outlined the details of the research studies below). Because no pharmacy had combined the 4 different formulas into one pill, I decided to do pay a company to do this for my patients. I make it clear that it is my vitamin formula and do not deny that I own the company (Molecular Envision LLC). I have priced my products lower than most others that are on the market. Please note, I mainly sell these vitamins for the convenience of my patients and have been told by my business consultant that this is not a worthwhile financial endeavor. I make them, with little profit, available to my patients as I have found they are the simplest, easiest and cheapest way that I can know that my patients are taking the research recommended formulas. To go out and try to buy the components separately is burdensome, costly for patients and patients usually do get the right ones in the correct dose. 1) AREDS 1 (age-related eye disease study from NIH) Small DRUSEN in your macula may or may not be the beginning of age related macular degeneration (AMD, THE leading cause of blindness in the U.S. and all developed countries). While the AREDS study showed a statistically significant benefit (slowing progression of the disease, not reversing it) with high doses of Vitamin C, E, and zinc in patients who already have AMD over a 7 year period of time, it showed no statistically significant benefit in patients with no or mild AMD (this is your category). 2) AREDS 2 results were reported a couple of years ago and recommended adding lutein and zeaxanthin. 3) WACS: is a study from Harvard (WACS: Women's antioxidant cardiovascular study) showing that high doses of vitamin B6, B12 and folic acid may actually be preventative for AMD. This study does suggest a benefit of taking these supplements to actually prevent AMD. I presented the data to you and have left it up to you. If you were my mother with your clinical findings, I would recommend taking the supplements. I never said you had to take my vitamins but I doubt you could find anything cheaper that has AREDS1, AREDS 2 and WACS formulas in them. I am not here to argue with you, only to present the data and let you make the decision. I will always be happy to talk with you further in private and once again review the available data with you. The decision is always yours. Please feel free to call us at 818-552-5040/310-659-2200 for any questions or concerns. Thank you.

Submitted October 12, 2015

this is the only doctors office I enjoy coming to. The staff is knowledgeable on all the equipment in his office. That's part of the training while working there so they're able to attend to you immediately not sit and wait.I wouldn't switch to another retina specialist.he explains

flag | Submitted September 18, 2014

Incredible. best experience I have had with a doctor. I had become legally blind over night. Not only did he recover my vision and my life as I knew it. He explained every step of the process, exactly what to expect and every treatment option (including the newest research) available if the present treatment was not successful. He had incredible compassion and spent unlimited time with me answering every question. He monitored me extensively, can continues my follow up care. His patience and care are unmatched by any other doctor I have been to. Extremely grateful for his care.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2013

Horrible doctor. I was referred to him from an optomotrist. I had a massive vision lost overnight taking me from 20/20 to legally blind. He could care less. He treated me with tremendous disrespect and not an ounce of compassion. He actually made me cry in his office. When one of my eyes started to recover he didn't care either. He couldn't figure out what was wrong with me or do anything to help me. I think he has a massive ego and no heart. He obviously knows a lot less than he thinks he does.

Submitted December 18, 2011

Dr. Kent W. Small's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Welcome to Kent W. Small Macula and Retina Institute in Glendale. Dr. Kent Small and the Kent W. Small Macula and Retina Institute team strive to provide the finest in ophthalmology services. We invite you to browse our website to learn more about our ophthalmology services, and invite you to join our patient family by scheduling an eye exam appointment at our Glendale office. Kent W. Small Macula and Retina Institute is a full service eye and vision care provider and will take both eye emergencies as well as scheduled appointments. Patients throughout the Glendale area come to Kent W. Small Macula and Retina Institute because they know they will receive the personal attention and professional care that is our foundation. Dr. Small and our team are dedicated to keeping our patients comfortable and well-informed at all times. At Kent W. Small Macula and Retina Institute, we will explain every exam and procedure and answer all of our patient's questions. Additionally, at Kent W. Small Macula and Retina Institute, we offer vision financing options and will work with vision insurance providers to ensure good eye health and vision care for all of our patients.

• Armenian (Western)
  • Armenian (Eastern)
  • Spanish

• Tulane University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1981)

• Diabetic retinopathy