Ratings for Dr. S. Mark Tanen

I found Dr. Tanen after having an awful experience with a Woodbridge doctor. Dr. Tanen got my thyroid stabilized in a matter of weeks. My visits with him are routine now, and that is such a blessing. I always get a phone call from Dr. Tanen personally to tell me the results of my blood work. Prior to the physical exam, he always takes the time to review how my last six months have been, any life changes. I cannot say enough good things about him.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2017

Dr tanen is the best dr in Mclean va so professional and very straight to the point

flag | Submitted December 27, 2016

The majority of Dr. Tanen's good reviews are years old. His office staff is horrible. They are rude, uncaring and flat out lie. I have a voicemail from a member of his staff telling me one thing and when I called to question her, she denied that she ever said what she did on the recording. Liar. Dr. Tanen goes thru the motions and processes you thru like you are a part on an assembly line. He never, in my 4 years of going to him, explained what was happening in my body and what the meds he prescribed for me actually did unless I questioned him about it - and then I was treated like a subservient. I never saw the same nurse twice in his practice. That probably speaks to the way the staff is treated or paid. EVERY TIME that I had blood drawn I'd end up with massive bruising due to the incompetence of the technician. This never happens anywhere else with me. I've heard his other two partners Cranz and Rubenstein be verbally abusive to staff on more than 1 occasion. This practice is consistently voted by Washingtonian Magazine as being some of the top Endocrinologists in the DC area. Realize that the vote come from fellow doctors and not the patients being treated. Yes, I'm critical of poor, uncaring, incompetent and rude service. That is exactly what you will eventually experience in the offices of Dr. Shlomo Mark Tanen. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2016

Unfortunately I can only say, "Stay away." He never instruced me not to take meds before thyroid testing (which invalidated the test results for months until I discovere this on my own), misdiagnosed me as hyperthyroid even though I am athyreotic AND reported the misdaigmosis to my pcp. My pcp upon reviewing my thyroid test results saw that he was wrong. He claimed that my higher cholesterol was not related to hyperthyroidism. He did not pay any attention to my clinical picture. And he mis-read my labs, many times, which cleary pointed to a pituitary problem. When I described my experience to another physician (not an endocrinologist) without naming him, they asked "Was that Tanen?" So, it seems the word on Dr. Tanen is even getting around in the medical community. Fortunately, I now see a different physician who actually practices endocrinology.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

I've been seeing Dr. Tanen for nearly 20 years, and my experience has always been positive. Besides being a knowledgeable, compassionate physician, he has never -- not once -- made me wait even a minute after my scheduled appointment time. There should be an award for that! This is a man who chose the right profession.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2016

Don't go to Dr. Tanen, he is rude and unprofessional. I called to let him know that I wasn't feel better, but actually feeling worse after being put on a new medication. He started yelling at me over the phone. He was belittling, and rude. After struggling with chronic sickness for over 8 months, I was very upset by the way he treated me, and how he handled my case. I will never recommend him or see him again.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2015

Over rated doctor. Staff working the place is terrible, I am still dealing with billing issues 1 year after my visit. Stay away, far, far away.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2013

I came in complaining my symptoms were worse and he lowered my dosage of thyroid meds. I have since gone to a doctor who would treat my symptoms.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2011

I just called to get an appointment with Dr Tanen and a receptionist by the name Charlsa was extremely rude and misinformed. I told her I had Aetna and tricare as insurances. she rudely stated that they did not file secondary for tricare . when i told her they did as mentioned on their website she put me on hold and came back saying yes they do and that she thought it was only medicare. In an extremely rude manner asked for my name and social. I told her I did not like the manner in which she spoke to me and she was like OK whatever. Pathetic!!!! I obviously did not choose to go further with booking an appointment. I wonder how many patients he loses as a result of this employee.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2010

Dr. Tanen is wonderful. He is punctual, friendly, and knowledgeable. He listens to your concerns and never treats a patient poorly. I would not go anywhere else.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2009