Ratings for Dr. Douglas B. Moreland

An extremely arrogant practice. Would never recommend to anyone.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2017

Is by far one of the best if not the best neurosurgeons in the greater Buffalo area and the surrounding regions. Dr Moreland is thourough and well-educated, placing is patients health, well being and comfort at the forefront of his treatment and practice.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2017

Dr. Moreland is a first class surgeon and his staff is awesome. I've had two neck surgeries and about to have a lower lumbar surgery. Dr Moreland takes time to explain the procedure and I never feel rushed or unsatisfied. He did a great job on my neck and I feel confident he'll do the same for my lower back. I feel lucky to have him.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2017

A miracle occurred in my life in the fall of 1999. I was in Canada and was diagnosed with severe, debilitating cervical spinal cord stenosis. I traveled from Oakville to be diagnosed by Doug Moreland. He directly and openly explained that I had 30 days to schedule a corpectomy, removal of trapezoidal sections of my spine, probably from Cervical 4 to Cervical 6. It was the most frightening moment of my life. A few days later, I traveled to Sisters Hospital for a massive reconstruction of my cervical spine. The care, compassion, talent, brilliance, and dedication of this staff and this man prevailed and the results were nothing less than miraculous. Update, not more than four months later the symptoms began reoccurring. I saw Doc Moreland and he said: "I was too conservative in my approach. I tried not to cut into C 3 and C 7 and I made a strategic error." My response was: "Cool, let us go in and fix it. But this time can we pay extra for a soccer player's leg bone and that way when you have completed surgery I will be able to hit the soccer ball with my head like 100 meters." I will remember his smile forever. Surgery was perfect, and I was out of Sisters the very next day, because I am a beast. Update. Six months later I was still not myself. Doc had an MRI of thoracic and lumbar performed and by now I was ready for him to knock out a spine surgery on the ping pong table in my garage. Update, 2013, 13 years subsequent to the THREE spine operations performed by Doug Moreland I was riding, blisteringly fast on a high speed bicycle here in North Florida. I had a tragic accident a head on collision with my best friend, both of us riding blisteringly fast on bicycles. My buddy died, and I was a mess with a severe head injury, five broken ribs a broken scapula and a new injury to my femur that I had broken riding racing bicycles three months prior to the fatal accident. Subsequent to that accident the stenosis that plagued me in cervical and thoracic has become unmanageable in lumbar. So I am heading in for my fourth spine operation within the next six months. I have read the other reviews of Doug Moreland. I believe spine surgery should be approached, not with an attitude of whining such as: "Wahh, wahh, wahh I had to wait two hours." I believe that the visit to see this healer or his colleagues might be more productive by saying to oneself: "This man is a healer. If he has an emergency arise, he takes care of the emergency." His staff and he prioritize. He is an artist. And each artistic creation takes an unknown amount of time. For the sake of all of us, maybe we should approach medical care by saying to ourselves: " No doctor wants his patient to wait two hours.” The amount of time it takes is an unknown. Just chill. My time is incredibly valuable. But I have a pretty good idea how long each project will take. Doc Moreland does not. It is magic. It is not a perfect science. Sometimes doctors, like legal professionals, (which I am) make strategy decisions that others may believe are a misreading of a case. That occurred in my situation. Stuff happens. But it will happen less and less and you will be mo 'betta if you have this staff and professionals perform your surgery. It has been sixteen years almost to the day that I saw Doc Moreland the first time. I will train for a tri at age 62-63 and hopefully in October 2016 complete one of the fastest triathlon times ever recorded. I am not in a wheelchair, with legs that do not work and digestive and urinary tracts that do not function properly. Impatient, self-important, highly compensated, I was a King in my mind. And I waited patiently. Doc Moreland’s gifted, miraculous hands, brilliant mind and amazing compassion came to an operating table in October, 1999 and for 8 hours he carefully, made 10,000 critical movements to remove sections of my spine, and take a dead guys leg bone and set that bone into the crevice he created. Then he took a piece of Titanium and placed it so perfectly over that bone and my spine and screwed in a zillion little tiny screws to keep it in place. Then I was resuscitated, and began living a new life with amazing quality, absolutely, positively, because of Doug Moreland. Read over the other ratings, and make a smart decision. This guy saved me, not once, not twice but three times. And 14 years later, on my 62nd birthday I rode 106 miles in six hours on a racing bicycle because of Doug Moreland. I have a fairly good idea how good this man's healing talents are. Do as you please but if you do not schedule spine surgery with Doug Moreland after waiting however long you need to wait in his office, you will have made a strategic error. Get tough, you have a journey in front of you. But this guy is the guide you want in front of you.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2015

I saw Douglas Moreland about my back. My PCP said it was the worst MRI scan he had ever read in over thirty years of practice & that I need surgery. Douglas Moreland told me to go for physical therapy & pain management. I left there in tears to think I have to live with this daily pain. Would never recommend him to anyone we waited almost 2 hours to see him and then when I saw him it was for about 30 seconds. He would not go over my MRI results or let me ask any questions. He seemed like I was bothering him to be there. My time is as valuable as anybody else. We drove a hour each way to see this Dr. wish we would have not gone to see him, he upset me. We are very disappointed with the service he gave to us. Would never go back again. Now we are back to square one trying to find a good Dr who takes our insurance.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2015

I was operated on 2 times by Dr Moreland. Both surgerys failed..I went to his office for my first apoitment with my MRI result waited for over an hour. When I did see the Dr he said that I needed emergincy surgery to remove a porsion of a disc that was 20% into spinalcord.....I was then rushed to a nurse to sign papers and to be explained the surgery that was to take place at 6am the next day I was given a bunch of booklets and was told all I needed to know was in them.so I have the surgery witch did help with the pain for about 3months and then it started to get very bad alover again. ...no one told me that after removing the 20% of the huriated disc it colud desalve into no disc!!!!! I even rereved all the booklets I was given. ...NOTHINGH!!!! About that posability....so I go back to Dr Moreland and was told I now have to have my 2d operation a lumbar fusion...I was told it was my only option available. So I do. Dr Moreland said he would take care of me...how ever 2weeks after surgery I was still in extreme pain!!! He would not help or even see me and sent me to DR kelly pain management. And she did help me with the pain. ...but did a new MRI 6month s after 2nd surgery and told me that my fusion was solid....IE HEALED........and I could go back to doing normal life activities. ....but by this time I've been deamed permintly Disabled not alowed to work. So I try to get on with my life but the pain was still very dibilatating......Dr kelly did what she could for the pain but told me that I would have to live with it for the rest of my life! Now 9years later....I've lost my friends and my marige because of all the complcations my back issues has caused...I moved to Fl at the advice of my Dr because of the screws and rod and basket in my back the cold weather in NY was making pain unbareable and she said I would become even more debilitated with arthritis. ....so here I am in FLORIDA 9years later started to see new pain Dr she sent me for new MRI and CT ...and to a spine specialest .....and I was told to my utter SHOCK that my lumbar spinal fusion NEVER HEALD!!!!! The fusion compleatly FAILED!!!!! And that I should have never had a fusion! That there was many other things that could have been done to fix my back. ..Now I have a have more surgy to try to fix all the damage caused by Dr Moreland! !! So please don't take his word seek many other opinions!!!!!!!!!

flag | Submitted June 23, 2015

Dr Moreland has performed surgery on me 2 times. I have degenrative disc disease. First was 2002 crevical neck at the time i was one of the first 100 patients to recive the 'CPOD' The surgery was 100% sucessful and Dr M & staff did a fantastic job. In 2012 i had been diagnosed with Nero- cladication of the spinal cord. This was very serious. Dr Moreland did surgery on me once again.He saved my life and i hold him & staff in highest regard. ****ing about waiting an extra 10 minutes or seeing a PA is absolutly bogus in my opinion. Dr Moreland is the best and always gives attention to where it is needed to help people cripled and in pain. You will not find a better surgen Than Dr. Moreland. Its your loss if you do not make a effort to get his services no matter what the cost.

flag | Submitted December 27, 2013

I made an appt with moreland for HIS opinion.I called the office while enroute for directions since my gps could not locate that address, checked in, paid my (very high) co-pay, was escorted to exam room, and given gown to put on. Imagine my surprise when the door opened and a young man came in introduced himself as the PA and said "dr moreland is not here today! I was so dumbfounded I could not respond. he glanced at my xray films briefly and said "yes you should have this fixed-call us when you are ready" and left the room-all in less than 5 minutes-(before I even had time to object) no gown was needed because there was no exam! I should have been called prior to the appt to see if I was agreeable to this, or at the MINIMUM notified at check in of their plans and offered a different appt. I wanted & paid for a neurosurgeon's opinion, not an assistant's! I would never go back or recommend this office to anyone, and I share this story every chance I get-I wonder who shows up in the OR?

flag | Submitted April 20, 2013

I had called this office to schedule a consult for a second opinion and for each time I scheduled an appointment it was canceled by the staff due to an emergency which had a few times. And I must say the secretary who called to cancel the appointment was nasty, rude and almost belittling by her comments to me. I know a second opinion to this staff may be routine but having to have surgery where my skull is opened and a cavernoma removed is not. The worst possible staff imaginable.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2011

Dr. Douglas B. Moreland's Credentials

• State University Of New York At Buffalo School Of Medicine (Grad. 1984)