Ratings for Dr. Nicholas R. Watkins

I had Dr. Watkins as my GP for just less than a decade. While he is a good doctor when it comes to regular everyday kind of health issues, I do not see him as a good doctor in general. He did not tell me that I had pre-diabetes for 2 years once my blood work showed fasting glucose above 100. He wouldn't even call it pre-diabetes even though insulin resistance = pre-diabetes. He was very good about testing for throat strep infection. His bedside manner is nonexistent. He tends to be very cold and usually is glued to his computer the whole time without spending much face-to-face time discussing the problem. He refused to believe I had nerve pain (neuropathy, etc) when in fact I did and he dismissed much of my ailments as nothing more than what I can only assume as "fake" or "inaccurate." I have since moved and have another GP and have found my new GP to be an amazing doctor who listens and understand my ailments. And actually now that I've seen an allergist multiple times here my health has greatly improved, and my nerve pain is GONE unless I ingest a food or foods that cause it. Practically all of my health problems, including mental illness has disappeared since changing my diet to remove offending foods. Dr. Watkins did not believe 90% of my health problems and therefor I suffered for it. He did detect blood clots in my lungs and immediately sent me to the hospital for a CT scan with contrast and he pretty much saved my life in that regard so I am very thankful for that. Otherwise, I can't say much other than I really wish he would listen to my complaints, not dismiss me, and really he needs to get that stick out of his butt! He is combative and I am not the only one who had that issue with him, my mother did as well. At one point my mother and he had a yelling match and ended up walking out of his office. Dr. Watkins loves photography and every photo in his exam rooms he took himself. I do like his photos. He can be easy-going and chatty and humorous but the vast majority of my office visits were not pleasant experiences. He accused me of being "medically uncompliant"and wrote that in my file, but little did I know the medications I was on were not needed at all and only masked and made worse my existing allergy problems. He is unfortunately one of the many doctors that only treats symptoms and does not research the root cause.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2014

I saw Dr Watkins as my usual Dr was not available. He was abrupt, sarcastic and disinterested in the patient. His bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired - zero eye contact, just working on his laptop, with the occasional inappropriate remark. I could not recommend this doctor, as I would constantly be concerned about the quality and accuracy of his work having a detrimental affect on my health - he's simply not interested in the patient. Very unprofessional.

flag | Submitted December 26, 2011

I had been to this doctore for PPD +ve test.Doctor prescribed INH fr 3 months. he didnt discuss abt the side effect of this potential drug with me at all. Only briefly mentioned abt the liver damage effect(drew blood). after 3/4days, I felt something pushing me out of balance..tongue rolling out.I kept msg 4/5 times to doc's office but noone replied back. on seventh day, my condition detoriated..left side from head totally numb, difficulty in talking/walking, things falling fr hand.and again in that bad health situation I called again. Then office manager returned the call(4th july day)and another doc talked to me and asked me to go to emergency immediately Emergency doctor recognized this symptom due to INH(which has lot to do with nerve). Dr Watkins didnt discuss a single word abt nerve effect..otherwise as I notice this symptom, I could stop the medicine and would'nt end up in emergency.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2011

Saw Dr. Watkins recently after I could not see my regular dr in his practice. I told him about my history but he basically refused to listen. Acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. He begrudgingly gave me a prescription but suggested I not take it because he did not believe it would help. Guess what? It did help and I got better; if I hadn't I would have gotten even worse.

flag | Submitted May 28, 2011

Dr. Watkins enters the exam room with a laptop. I understand that keeping everything online these days has its advantages. but on several occassions after I explained my ailments he went to WebMD or Google. I can do that at home. it made me feel as though he wasn't very knowledgeable. I aslo have a history of medical problems and he never knew my history after seeinghim on several occassions.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2010

Dr. Nicholas R. Watkins's Credentials

• Ohio State University College Of Medicine (Grad. 1993)