Ratings for Dr. James M. Cottom

Dr. Cottom repaired my torn achilles tendon in March 2017. Post operation I experienced minimal pain. A friend who had similar surgery a week earlier from another doctor described the pain as the worse he ever experienced. Dr. Cottom and staff were very attentive during my follow-up and physical therapy. They made sure I understood what to expect during recovery and were available to answer any questions I had. I highly a recommend Dr. Cottom and his staff.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2017

Dr. James M. Cottom's response
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We are thrilled to hear you are doing well! We especially love knowing our patients have a pleasant healing process. We will continue to be here for you for any future needs. Thank you

Submitted July 10, 2017

De. Cottom performed an ankle fusion in October, 2016 for a painful, arthritic problem I had for several years. I was in a cast and then a boot for 21/2 months. During this period Dr. Cottom and his staff were very attentive to answering my questions and making sure I was progressing as expected. I would DEFINITELY recommend Dr. Cottom. I am now back to walking on the beach painfree and playing golf. Everyday there is improvement as was explain by Dr. Cottom that the recovery is a long process.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2017

Dr. James M. Cottom's response
We are so glad you are on the road to recovery and we will continue to be here throughout your healing process. Thank you for your kind review

Submitted June 13, 2017

I was referred to Dr. Cottom by a friend. I had been suffering from increasing pain in my right foot and ankle. He performed a triple arthrodesis fusion/achillies tendon lengthening on my right foot. I am 13 weeks post surgery, pain free, and well on my way to recovery. With continued PT and consistent work on my part, I expect to return to tennis and golf. He took his time explaining why I needed this procedure and was realistic in his description of the recovery time. At all times, he was patient and caring.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2017

Dr. James M. Cottom's response
We are thrilled to hear you are pain free and doing well. Thank you for your wonderful review. If you need anything further, we are here for you.

Submitted June 13, 2017

A fall from a ladder caused broken bones and a dislocated foot. Other doctors saw problems as too complex, but Dr. Cottom took one look at the X-rays and wanted to see me that day! His office and staff are super-accessible and efficient and saw the dire need so Dr. Cottom and Dr. Plemmons got me into the hospital on SATURDAY! The two doctors did the initial surgery then weeks later the follow-up surgery and I'm now recovering beautifully. All follow-up visits to Dr. Cottom have been handled supremely well. Special thanks to Devin and KP for their attentiveness and good humor. You won't find a better doctor or staff than Dr. Cottom and his crew; on time, very pleasant, efficient, skilled, professional and highly effective. They are all top notch and a greatly valued asset for the people of Sarasota.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2017

Dr. James M. Cottom's response
We are very happy to hear we exceeded your expectations. We consider our patients family and we will continue to be here for you throughout your entire healing process. If there is anything you may need in the future, feel free to give us a call.

Submitted June 13, 2017

Dr. Cottom was very thorough, and kept personal contact before and after my total ankle replacement. He followed through my rehab, kept me posted on my progress with x-rays and office visit. Very pleased, and have referred a friend, also.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2017

Dr. James M. Cottom's response
Thank you so much for your referral, as a small private practice, we greatly appreciate the word of mouth and kind reviews. We are thrilled to hear you are doing well and feel free to contact us anytime.

Submitted June 13, 2017

I went to Dr. Cottom when I moved to Florida a year and a half ago. I had foot surgery 10 years prior that needed repair. Dr. Cottom performed the surgery with two surgeries over two weeks. It was difficult but I am walking so much better than I have in years and it is only a few months post surgery. He is and excellent doctor. He genuinely cares and spends the time you need to allow you to understand what he will be doing to help you and what will happen during your recovery. I have recommended him to a number of people who needed his skills. He and his staff was available any time day or night after the surgery. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted January 13, 2017

Dr. James M. Cottom's response
Thank you so much for your referrals and kind review, we will continue to be available to you anytime. We are so glad to hear you are healing and doing well as our patients are like family to us.

Submitted June 13, 2017

I stay in Bradenton in the winter and Dr. Cottom performed a ankle replacement in Feb. 2016. I am 75 and still do some farming in New York, I am able to walk over rough ground without any pain. Before I met Dr. Cottom. I was told the only option I had was to live with the pain or have my ankle fussed .My ankle is great, therefore do exactly as Dr.Cottom instructs you to do. I highly recommend him and his assistant, Sheila and all his staff were mot helpful. John Atwood

flag | Submitted December 14, 2016

Dr. James M. Cottom's response
We are so happy to hear you are back to doing the things you love most, this is why I love what I do. Thank you for your kind review

Submitted June 13, 2017

I had a bad experience linked to a lack of follow up. When Doctor Cottom found out about it, he picked up the phone and called me to fix the situation. He also uncovered some fairly critical items on an MRI when all that was being evaluated was a foreign body. His advice and care was very helpful and although I will seek a second opinion, I liked his approach and time to explain the options.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2016

Dr. James M. Cottom's response
So sorry to hear about the f/u issues and were glad to make that better for you. We will continue to be here for you and anything you may need in the future. Thank you for your kind review.

Submitted June 13, 2017

Excellent, caring Doctor, would recommend him, I being in the medical field know good from bad and he is an amazing Doctor. Thank you for all you have done with this plantar fasciitis

flag | Submitted November 9, 2016

Dr. James M. Cottom's response
Thank you so much for such a nice review. You are more than welcome and we will continue to be here for you for any future needs.

Submitted June 13, 2017

I am a work in progress for Dr. Cottom. I had a severe bone infection in my foot when he first saw me. I thought I was going to lose my leg. He did everything he could and was able to save part of my foot so I am still able to walk. Thank you Dr. Cottom for all of your help and your continued help as I will see you in surgery tomorrow. And thank you to his staff who are very nice and very helpful!

flag | Submitted October 26, 2016

Dr. James M. Cottom's response
You're so very welcome. Our patients are our number one priority and we will do anything we can for you during this process. We will get you on the path to recovery and back on your feet.

Submitted November 1, 2016

Dr. James M. Cottom's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Cottom received his bachelor’s degree with honors from Michigan State University. In 2002 he graduated Magna Cum Laude from Scholl College/ Chicago Medical School, in Chicago, Illinois. Subsequently, he completed a three-year surgical residency in reconstructive and trauma surgery of the foot and ankle at the Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University, in Detroit, Michigan focusing in all areas of Foot, Ankle and Leg Surgery. Dr. Cottom is also extensively trained in the conservative and surgical treatment of diabetic conditions affecting the lower extremity including limb salvage.

• English

• Dr. William M. Scholl College Of Podiatric Medicine (Grad. 2002)
  • Michigan State University