Outstanding Staff Badge
World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. James M. Cottom

I am 70, a skeptic, critical by nature, direct and hard to satisfy. Dr. Cottom, his team of doctors (Douthett, & McConnell) and his staff (especially Melissa and KP) is very kind, respectful, and is thoroughly competent. He explains all of the options for treatment/surgery and does so in words anyone could understand without having had to go to med school or a dictionary. Though a difficult one, my wife's ankle surgery went exceedingly well and continuing post op care and follow on physical therapy is tops! Unlike some doctors, Dr. Cottom is not aloof, distant or "full of himself". When you are with Dr. Cottom somehow you just know he's got it and you are going to be ok. He did and it is!

flag | Submitted July 15, 2018

Worked very very well with my 19-year-old daughter who is quite small and has very small feet… Other doctors would not work on her because of her size… They wanted to send her to pediatrics… So we were very very pleased with this physician.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2018

Highly recommend! I was referred to Dr. Cottom for severe pain in both ankles due to wear and tear (bone spurs/bone on bone) from (juvenile on-set) Rheumatoid Arthritis. My options were ankle replacement or ankle fusion. Dr. Cottom has a wonderful bedside manner and was more than willing to fully discuss my options & answer my lists of questions.. I decided on ankle replacement surgery, as I wanted to continue having mobility in my feet, and am excited to participate in their study tracking the progress. I had the first ankle done on 3/20/18. I'm very pleased with the progress I am making, and having such a reachable doctor's office has put my mind at ease. I've emailed/texted KP, his medical assistant, many times with questions and always get a quick reply. When I had a late night fall (non-emergency) and called the after hours number, Dr. Douthett was quick to answer, hear & address my concerns. I just can't say enough good things about them all - Dr. Cottom, Dr. Douthett, Dr. McConnell, KP, and all the staff that keeps it running! I'm so pleased that Dr. Diaz is located in the same building, as I've been able to go to PT with Ana and Pablo right there! I always leave the offices feeling like my health is being well taken care.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2018

I had a total ankle replacement in Dec 2017, today, March 9, 2018 I am walking without pain for the first time in three years and totally unassisted, no cane no bace. The recovery time was much less than what I had anticipated. The pain/discomfort was minimal, after the first week I only took Ibuprofen for the swelling. I was very concerned about having this surgery, my husband is not able to drive and his walking is very limited, so the responsibility for me to be able to get around was extremely important to our independence. Dr Cottom understood our situation and worked with both my husband and I to understand the surgery, recovery period. He meet with our daughters to also help them understand what support we may need during the first few weeks. This time he spent with us was an enormous comfort to our entire family, not many Drs would do that for one patient. I like to walk five miles three times a week, I am not up to three with a goal to be back to five by the end of spring. THANK YOU DR COTTOM. I have recommended Dr Cottom to two other neighbors, with various issues and they are as pleased as I am. Dr Cottom cares about his patients wellbeing not just rushing you in to have surgery. He and his entire staff offer superior service. His skill as a surgeon has given me a new lease on life.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2018

I am 19 and have suffered with many ankle surgeries (5 total). Dr. Cottom is the only surgeon that has been able to fix me and give me back my active life. I would 100% recommend him to anyone. He is kind, competent, and patient. I couldn't be more grateful for what he has done for me!

flag | Submitted February 25, 2018

not a good result. He moved due to an office problem and i would not go back. He knew it was bad but did not admit he messed it up.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2018

Dr. James M. Cottom's response
This is a very vague and generic review. No name, no details. Also, I have been at my current location for years but I will look into the authenticity of this possibly, fraudulent review. Thank you.

Submitted January 28, 2018

Dr Cottom and his staff are the nicest most professional office staff I have encountered in Sarasota. I highly recommend them !!! Extremely knowldable and made me feel comfortable and cared about from my first visit !!!

flag | Submitted January 11, 2018

Dr. James M. Cottom's response
We are so glad you are pleased with your visit with us.

Submitted January 28, 2018

Could not be more please with the outcome of my hammer toes and bunion surgery. I can't believe how straight my feet are. I thought I would see how the first foot went before deciding on the other. No question I want him to do the other one.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2017

Dr. James M. Cottom's response
We are excited to hear of your outcome. Thank you for the kind review

Submitted January 28, 2018

Dr. Cottom is such a great surgeon that I came back for him to do my other leg's Achilles tendon surgery. I first had my right leg;s Achilles tendon surgery two years ago, and when I had a problem with the same tendon on my left leg, he, again, was the right Dr. for the job. His style and friendly nature. He explains the issue, the alternatives, the ratio of success of each alternative, the recuperation times on each one, and the pre-during-post work to be done to achieve the desired outcome.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2017

Dr. James M. Cottom's response
So glad you are doing well and healing. We will continue to be here for any other issues

Submitted January 28, 2018

I ordered “custom” orthotics. I could NOT get my feet into my shoes. Could not return them so I left without the orthotics. $500 down the drain.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2017

Dr. James M. Cottom's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Cottom received his bachelor’s degree with honors from Michigan State University. In 2002 he graduated Magna Cum Laude from Scholl College/ Chicago Medical School, in Chicago, Illinois. Subsequently, he completed a three-year surgical residency in reconstructive and trauma surgery of the foot and ankle at the Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University, in Detroit, Michigan focusing in all areas of Foot, Ankle and Leg Surgery. Dr. Cottom is also extensively trained in the conservative and surgical treatment of diabetic conditions affecting the lower extremity including limb salvage.

• English

• Dr. William M. Scholl College Of Podiatric Medicine (Grad. 2002)
  • Michigan State University