Ratings for Dr. Raymond B. Raven

Dr. Raven surgically repaired my severely fractured wrist after a snowboarding accident. Because I needed to travel for business, he even re-arranged his very busy schedule to work in my surgery before my travel. I now have full strength and range of motion. He and the whole staff at OSS were friendly, kind and really cared about every aspect of the care I received at the office. Cant rank him or the staff highly enough!

flag | Submitted October 18, 2018

Dr. Raven is kind, caring, and the best at what he does. I have a rare hand healing disorder, and his surgical techniques have saved my ability to use my hands. Simply the best.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2018

This rating system does not really focus on the actual doctor and their abilities. I would say the staff at Dr. Raven's office were very helpful, but I would not say this is true of the doctor himself. I went in for a wrist surgery and while he may be proficient at the mechanics of the surgery he is very poor at being a doctor. He neglected to explain many aspects of the surgery before hand and the after the surgery I had such extreme pain which he tried to brush off as nothing. He didn't want to listen to me and to me he didn't have enough "bandwidth" to address my concerns. He basically made it seem like I was being unreasonable and the cause for all my pain was my fault for not elevating my arm. While this turned out to not be true and as I found out later form a neurologist that I had a pinched nerve and swelling from edema which pressed on my nerve. Dr Raven had no compassion, was totally dismissive of my ideas and basically wanted to pawn me off to a pain management specialist. When questioned why I might suddenly have carpal tunnel syndrome after the surgery he said the only fix was more surgery. He said "I'm a surgeon, if you ask me what to do I'll recommend surgery. I like surgery. I make more money if I do surgery". If you need surgery, don't go to Dr Raven. He doesn't care about his patients. He treats them like machinery and he's a mechanic.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2018

Dr. Raven is extremely proficient, courteous and professional.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2017

Dr Raven is probably the best doctor I have ever had!!!! He communicates so well and makes himself available to you any time of the day! I highly recommend him - and throughly disagree with the negative review below

flag | Submitted August 16, 2017

Dr. Raven is for you if: 1) You would rather read brochures handed to you by a medical professional than receive actual information from one. 2) You prefer a doctor who makes you feel like you are one in a long line of patients for the day, thereby ensuring crisp, short visits with minimal verbal interaction. 3) Your preferred form of treatment is no treatment, although you will most likely receive billable x-rays, ultrasounds, etc., just to confirm this decisive plan of action. 4) You don't mind filling out new medical paperwork every time you come visit, even though they have all your information on file. 5) You don't find it morally questionable that the Physical Therapy prescription that the doctor gives you is on the actual letterhead of the only physical therapist in all of LA county he suggests you trust. To break that down, I developed a sore elbow a couple months ago from playing basketball. The pain was so severe that it would wake me up in the middle of the night and even driving was uncomfortable. Based on the location of the pain, I concluded that it was most likely golfer's elbow (similar to tennis elbow), based on what I read online. One of my basketball buddies, a spinal surgeon, suggested that I visit an orthopedist to provide a cortisone shot for the pain. I went to Dr. Raven's office and was yet again asked to fill out all new extensive medical paperwork even though nothing -- from my insurance to home address -- had changed since my multiple visits to Dr. Raven's offices for an issue I've had with my hand over the past 3 years (for which he gave me brochures and told me there's nothing to do for it). This time, Dr. Raven took x-rays of my elbow and confirmed that I had golfer's elbow and, like usual, gave me a brochure and told me there's nothing I can do for it but rest. Oh, and he said I could try physical therapy "if you really want to." I asked about a cortisone injection and he told me that he doesn't treat golfer's elbow with cortisone because it doesn't heal the injury. I said it's the pain that's troubling me but still he said no. Because I'm tired of walking out of his office with the same pain that I walk in the door with, I decided to seek a second opinion from another orthopedist this time. I'm happy to report that a very cordial and patient orthopedist diagnosed the golfer's elbow (without taking an x-ray) and gave me a cortisone shot and IT WAS LIKE GOD'S LIPS KISSED MY ELBOW. Seriously, all pain gone in 24 hours. I waited 3 weeks before posting this, just to make sure the treatment was effective, and I haven't had a single twinge since the shot. Not only that, I was back to my full activities a week later, working out, playing basketball, etc. So, if any of y'all run into Dr. Raven (I won't be going back), please tell him that a cortisone shot can be very effective for golfer's elbow, certainly in easing his patients' pain. And after 3 years of living with ropy cords in my palm from Dupuytren's Disease, which Dr. Raven has repeatedly told me was untreatable without surgery, I finally went online and learned THERE ARE TREATMENTS, including cortisone shots (haha) and most notably FDA-approved enzyme injections that soften and weaken the cords and provide relief and increased flexibility for the vast majority of patients. Why doesn't Dr. Raven know about this??? It's outrageous. And if he does know, why doesn't he share options with his patients? Not surprisingly, the enzyme treatments are NOT listed in the brochure he gave me. In conclusion, I'm happy for the people who like Dr. Raven, I'm sure he's a good surgeon when he applies himself, but you can do way better. I can't WAIT for a second opinion now on my Dupuytren's Disease.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2017

Great doctor, quick today! Service was nice and I have been seeing Dr Raven for awhile!

flag | Submitted December 3, 2015

Dr. Raven not only did a great job with repairing a damaged ligament in my thumb, but I am stronger than before the injury. Additionally, he and the physical therapist he referred me to (Lisa Savage) really educated me about my rehabilitation and hand health in general. Although Dr. Raven is very busy, he takes all the time you need to answer questions. He is genuinely enthused about his field and it shows. Although sometimes there is a wait, once you are seen the staff and Dr. Raven are efficient and helpful. He is an excellent doctor and he has very good people skills.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2015

Very good doctor, he knows his job very well and he is cute.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2011