Ratings for Dr. Patricia M. Harkins

just now They sent me to collections for a no show fee. Here’s the thing though they forgot to take my child off the schedule after THEY told me my child did not need another appointment. Never called nothing. Just sent me to collections. You can’t call the office to talk to anyone it’s all through email. Good luck getting a email back. When I finally got a email back and they admitted to their mistake they said they might not be able to report their mistake to the collections service because it had been in collections to long. I called them the moment my credit monitoring service notified me. I will be posting negative comments weekly until this is resolved on all platforms.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2019

It did take a while to get an appointment with Dr. Harkins, I think we waited 6-9 months for his initial appointment. However, she is incredibly knowledgeable and takes the time to actually listen to your concerns and address them appropriately. Yes, she has a small office staff, but Jennifer is absolutely wonderful and responds appropriately. With a staff that small, it is understandable that answering each and every phone call is not their top priority. If you send an email, you can expect it to be responded to by the end of the day. There have been numerous occasions in which I have needed a same-day appointment due to medication reactions/extreme behavior/etc and this has always been possible. I tend to disagree with the other reviewers who state her only priority is medications; yes my son is on medication, but I have been able to request that we stop one for concerning reasons and see how he did off of them with no issue. We see NP Una most of the time and she is absolutely wonderful; there have been visits that have really just been her listening to me cry and vent about the things I cannot control. She is helpful even for this. I have been able to explore and ask questions about various treatments I have looked into with ZERO judgment from her office. In my opinion, Dr. Harkins is worth the wait. Yes, there are going to be things she suggests you may not agree with, but if you ask her why she is choosing to go that route she will be very clear and detailed in her explanations. Even the 3 part initial eval/assessment/explanation makes sense to me: it is pricey, even with great insurance, but how many physicians will invite parents back without their children in tow to go over the results and ANY/EVERY question they may have. Her billing is accurate and always correlates directly to the time spent with me and my son or to the time she spent preparing a 16 page document detailing the results of her assessments. Sub-par physicians charge the same amount without any documentation as to why they spent that long with a patient. This doesn't happen here. You get what you pay for and she and her staff are the best.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2016

I think it's really sad that this dr is allowed to continue practicing. She is extremely arrogant and confrontational when asked about alternative treatments to medication. She prescribed my 4.5 yr old a high dose of an Adderral drug, but was opposed to trying any other treatments before depending solely on the amphetamines. He didn't gain weight for two years, yet she continued to recommend medication after medication. When I filed a complaint, she discharged my son from her care. She is completely intolerant of parents that would like to use medication as a last resort. My son is doing great now, off medications! He has a healthy appetite and is performing adequately in school. He may never be the perfect kid, but getting rid of Harkin's treatments took us in the right direction for treating ADHD. Now we have doctors that actually monitor his brain; they look for the cause of the problem, rather than just treating the symptoms, and they work closely with my son to "re-train" his brain to work more effectively. This doctor should not be allowed to practice on our kids! Parents need to be less willing to go along with whatever pill these doctors recommend. I'm far from a granola hippie, but come on, you don't think she has any incentivized relationships with these drugs that she pushes down our throats. It's a business. Period.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2015

due to a lack of Autism specialists here in San Antonio you can expect a ton of referrals and testing that is mostly unneeded. i minored in Early Childhood Education, worked in Spec Ed in the public school dist as a teacher, and have continually furthered my education specifically in the area of Autism since my son was diagnosed by her six years ago...under the old criteria. my son is a straight A student and exhibits possibly one of the new qualifications under the new guidelines. Dr Harkins in my opinion is a bit of a scam artist. remember, this is also a business and boy does she understand that. once again, expect to spend a ton of money with little answers to any of your questions. who else are you going to take your child to? and THAT is the feeling i get from her and her staff. good luck

flag | Submitted March 31, 2015

The amount is per visit and out of pocket before deductible. To evaluate for autism was at least 3 visit. This office does not make it easy to pay them either. They mail bills, but have no online or phone service to pay them.I do not put credit card information in the mail. You can never reach a person for any reason and always have to leave a message and hope that you are avialable when they return it.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2012

Very helpful and changed my opinion completely regarding medicating a child with ADHD by her method of reasoning. I highly recommend her. She is very precise, and methodical.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2011

We were referred to Dr. Harkins for possible Aspergers for my 5 yr old. She did 3 tests, each 2 hrs long, plus a follow up appt where she explained all the test results thoroughly and gave us a 3 page list of recommendations. There were about 23 suggestions and medication was only mentioned once as a possible route. I found her extremely approachable, she was always on time and would stay as late as needed to answer all our questions. We came in with no diagnosis or direction and left with a detailed plan on how to get our child help. I cannot recommend her enough. Yes, the wait time to see her is long (it took us 8 mos to get in), but from calling around, this is typical for dev pedis - especially good ones!

flag | Submitted April 18, 2011

The first visit was fine. She wanted to do a follow-up 6 months later with my daughter. I took 4 hrs off from wk to make the appt & her front office person wrote 11:30 on the business card but they said she could not meet with us b/c she had to meet w/an important doctor that flew in from another state. They did not care that I had taken time off from work to be there. I did see her walk out of the office hoping to be unnoticed by me. I let her. I am going to switch. She's not all that great anyway & her office is aweful.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2010

We were referred to Dr Harkins by our son's MD. Our first appt was not for six months. During that time, we tried to contact the office to be sure they had everything we needed. Well, In August we were called and told our appt was canceled because they didnt have all of our paperwork in. Then, the next appointment was not until the following APRIL. We are keeping that appt, we hope! Her office is VERY hard to get a hold of, and so i actually WENT in person to speak to someone! In the meantime, we went to our school district and received help there. Thank God for NISD. They were great! I recommend them if you think your child needs help in special education. They actually did testing and recommended a plan. If not for NISD, we would have waited an entire YEAR before being seen by a professional. Some of the problem here might be that San Antonio needs more specialists for pediatric development. Those doctors would never suffer for business.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2010

I took my son to see her. She only spent 15 minutes with him, although her staff did do some testing and took a history (incorrect info in report) from me. She wanted to prescribe meds only.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2010

Dr. Patricia M. Harkins's Credentials

• Univ Of Tx Med Sch At San Antonio, San Antonio Tx 78284 (Grad. 1990)

MSP/BC Med