Ratings for Dr. Martha Garrett-Shaver

I signed up with Dr. Garrett because she was one of the few female doctors listed in the Arkansas Blue doctors' list. However, she's the person in charge, so you don't actually ever see her. Instead, you see interns and nurse practioners at UAMS Family Medical Center. We moved here in June and this past year has been horrible. The office is terribly unorganized. You see a different intern for every appointment. No one seems to know what's going on. The first doctor I had there, Dr. S., was terrible and didn't seem to know anything. I had brought in a list of what prescriptions I was taking, and the nurse took them and put them in the computer, but then when I went to check out, no one could find the list, and she hadn't entered them correctly. 3 of the prescriptions were not refilled. The doctor refused to call in Sudafed even though I had explained that I only use it occasionally for colds and allergy. Eventually, weeks later, I was able to get her on the phone and yell at her about not telling me to my face that she didn't want to refill it, and she refilled it finally. I never saw her again, but saw another intern, and then a nurse practitioner. Not very high quality of care all the way around. Very disorganized place. This year I called in a refill for the Sudafed and a prescription medicine for my allergies. It didn't get refilled again and I called repeatedly over the past month. All I was told was that they had to leave a note for the doctor. I said, please have the doctor call me if there's a problem. They finally refilled the other drug but not the Sudafed. Finally we went in to ask about it and were told that Sudafed is a "controlled substance" (which of course it's not) and that I needed to get a new doctor's appointment in order to get a new prescription, since it had long expired. No one had bothered to tell me that over the phone. I had just been in to see the nurse in April so if I had known, I could have gotten the refill then. So then when I called in later to make an appointment, the person I talked to had the nurse call me. (By the way, that person had no idea that you needed a prescription to get Sudafed) The nurse said, you don't need a prescription if you go to the Prince pharmacy. So I sent my husband there to pick it up (he had to take time out of his busy work schedule) and they said that I had to be a regular customer to get it there. I called back today and they were sympathetic and the pharmacist called UAMS to see if they would give me the prescription without having to come in. He called back and said he was told that they no longer prescribed Sudafed and that it was discontinued. WTF? So now I have to transfer my prescriptions from Wal-Mart, which is more convenient for me, to Prince, to get the darned Sudafed. It's been a crazy nightmare and this doctor's office is incompetent. I'm changing doctors now.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2017

Dr. Martha Garrett-Shaver's Credentials

• University Of Arkansas College Of Medicine (Grad. 2000)

Top Hospitals in El Dorado, AR