Ratings for Dr. Wayne Downs

By staff I do not mean the receptionist. I take lyrics for extreme neuropathy and they (whomever other than than WD) make me feel like a drug seeker when I ask for refills. For me, Wayne is the best and I’ve known him for over 20, not as a patient. I don’t believe they gave him my messages.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2018

Takes the time to explain what is happening and what to expect.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2017

There has clearly been a staff shake up in this office. Within 1 month both MAs and the receptionist were gone. Dr. Downs new MA Trish is the least helpful most disrespectful medical staffer I have ever met. Much needed prescriptions are overlooked and forgotten over long weekends and the expectation is that you will clean up her mess for her. She is highly judgmental and plain unprofessional. Dr. Downs himself typically runs late and is a bit to quick to resort to older medications even when told you have failed them in the past. The response times are mishandled by the inept staff that is kept. I will not return to this office and instead will pay to see a neuro specialist in Seattle.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2016

Dr. Downs will get you addicted to sleeping pills. He is always late and puts personal slams in your records. I did not realize how bad he was until I moved to Seattle and found a real Neurologist. Upon reviewing my records I found some very unprofessional notes and comments.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2016

I have been seeing Dr. Downs for the past 5 years. I am surprised reading some of the reviews on this site. I am covered under Medicare and have never had a problem getting an appointment. Each time I go I am able to see him within 5-10 minutes. I have found him familiar with the latest research being done at the major university hospitals and the various sections of the National Institutes of Health. He has always been willing to discuss new research he finds regarding my problems and is willing to discuss the pros and cons of possible new cures I find on the internet. I would strongly recommend him to my family and friends.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2015

Seems that every time I need anything I am put on the back burner. I have active multiple sclerosis and Dr. Downs doesn't really have any recommendations for me to try to get my disease under control or slowed down. To call the practice "neurological consultants" seems like a bit of a misnomer. I don't feel as if Dr. Downs takes any active role in my health. My office visits consist of me asking about research that I have done and listening to Downs deliver the textbook "whell there is no clinical evidence" or that he hasn't heard anything about it. I usually leave his office wondering why i wasted the time and money having gotten absolutely nothing out of tbe appointment. Another issue with this practice is the timeliness of responses to our inquiries or needs. I am currently going on the 3rd week of waiting for the office to submit some paperwork for a new drug I am trying to get on. Also, if you are like me with a disease like ms that sometimes requires a timely response for issues like an acute flare up don't expect your issue (as serious as it is) to be looked at with any urgency whatsoever. It seems like this practice is solely in the business of making money and really hasn't shown me much of an interest in helping their patients improve or even maintain what health they have. I would not recommend Wayne Downs to anyone who has any type of neurological condition.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2015

Always have to wait at least an hour after my scheduled appointment to get into the second stage waiting office... Dr Downs is like most neurologists these days in that he is a drug pusher (shill for big pharma) and seems to know only what the drug reps tell him. I never got the feeling that Dr Downs actually cared about my well being. The options in Anchorage for quality neurological care are pretty dismal.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2015

This guy ordered blood work to be done by a group of idiots who did a very poor job. I wound up leaving Quest Diagnostics because they didn't seem to have it all together. To make it worse, Dr. Downs told me it would take 6 weeks to get the results back. They came back in four days. I then learned that Dr. Downs was in fact on vacation for 6 weeks. He chose to delay my treatment due to his vacation without giving any thought to a referral somewhere else. The treatment is very time-sensitive. He also charged $700.00 for 20 minutes of his time. He was not compassionate and doesn't seem to give a rats about me getting prudent treatment.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2012

FYI = Partner Mary Downs is his sister, not his wife. Wayne is a good doc. takes time with patient and admits when the brain stumps his brain. But he is always willing to try new things (or old in new ways,) and sometimes it works.

flag | Submitted October 16, 2011

I have been a patient of Dr. Downs for many years. He listens and takes my concerns under consideration when making suggestions for my treatment. He is always responsive and prompt during any neurologic problems I might have in between appointments. Overall a very honest and concerned physician.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2011