Ratings for Dr. Robert J. Backer

Would not call me back regarding results. After 4 weeks called.....he called 24 hrs later. Could not answer what the problem is or how to solve. My general doctor was better than him to explain what the problem is and is there any way to fix.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2012

I scheduled my appointment and asked for directions via email. I was sent to the wrong location and at first the staff said they could not find me. I pulled up the email and surprise I was found but at the wrong office because the directions sent me to the wrong office. Can you come back next week? NO! So they decided I would be seen by Becker. He spent 5 minutes with me. Said nerves were not pinched which my mri report said they were. I had written on my sheet pain in neck down both arms and shoulders. down mid back to ribs. He decided I only had neck pain and he does not do surgery for neck pain. I decided right then if he cannot read I would not want him to do surgery on me if it is needed. I am now looking for a new doctor. Rude, no compassion,I feel he was mad he was forced to see me so he decided not to care about my problem. ****.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2011

Dr. Backer did surgery on my back as an emergency patient. I came into the ER at 3:00 a.m. and he performed surgery on me at 10:00 a.m. for a ruptured disc. He is absolutely the best doc in the world. I have gone back to him myself and would recommend him to anyone and everyone. You cannot go wrong with him or with his staff. His staff is the best office staff I've ever met and I'm pretty hard to please. This crew is the best.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2011

Dr. Backer is straight forward with no sugar coating. That's what you need when you have issues with your back ,which was my case. Do not confuse rude with knowledgeable professionals telling you like it is. I had spine surgery, because I had no other choice. I did what I was told after surgery and was very satisfied with Dr. Backer, very personable and called me himself, many times very late in the day.I have had many people tell me about their back trouble and I always refer Dr. Backer. Of the few that said he could not help they were the ones with pulled muscles or looking to hear bad news about themselves for other reasons.I have worked side by side with these wieners and when I told them I already went through spine surgery they stop complaining quickly. Key word COMPLAIN. Thanks Dr. Backer

flag | Submitted April 4, 2011

I was impressed with his interest in assuring the problem had a physical basis before jumping to conclusions. I had a procedure for spinal stenosis and have been completely relieved of the leg pain. He came highly recommended from a nurse who has been around a lot of surgeons. His demeanor has always been professional. Some may interpret his dry demeanor as rudeness. I found him to be very patient and never did I feel that I was being pressured into anything.I would recommend this gentleman to my closest friend or family member in a heartbeat. If you genuinely require a surgeon I hope you find your way to Dr. Backer.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2011

I saw Dr. Backer in the early 1990's as I was in severe pain from a bulged disc in my cervical spine. He was in no hurry to do surgery, said PT first then if I decided the pain was bad enough, he would perform a discectomy. He did the surgery and was very caring and explained everything thoroughly and had patience with this very scarred patient. He was so very professional and was also very concerned. I highly recommend Dr. Backer. I had no more pain two weeks after surgery, as he told me the swelling would be gone then. He was right. He even signed for me to get a crossbow permit as my nerves were weakened in my right arm. He said as long as I did not bring it into his office. I cannot imagine Dr. Backer ever being rude. He is very serious about what he does, and that is a GOOD thing. He has a very important job to do. I was not an easy patient, but he was very kind, patient and understanding.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2010

2/26/10 Dr. Backer performed craniotomy on husband (he recently passed away after a fall) for oligodendroglioma in 1997 and shunt for hydrocephalus in 1998. Over the 12 years he lived after initial surgery, Dr. Backer always returned phone calls personally, met us at the office or hospital when needed, explained MRI results in detail, and when husband had problems following radiation and chemo, Dr. Backer was there for him. The office staff was professional, helpful and I can’t say enough good things about them. In 2007, when husband had problems I thought were related to the shunt, Dr. Backer didn’t think so and was inconsiderate. He later apologized when the shunt was found to be unconnected and he performed surgery ASAP. He is human after all. My husband thought the world of him, and I would choose Dr. Backer any day.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2010

rude - I have had back issues and leg pain for 2 months. Dr, Backer sent me for a MRI, then chewed me out when I called for results. NEVER written a Dr. evaluation until now, but I am stunned to be treated this way by a Dr..

flag | Submitted October 20, 2009

I went to Dr. Backer in Feb 2009 for pain down my left leg. I had gone to see another neurosurgeon who gave me no help, saying that the only way he could diagnose my problem was with a mylogram, and he didn't want to put me through that. My husband suggested I get another opinion and I got an appointment with Dr. Backer. He immediately told me I needed a mylogram and scheduled it for the following week. I was getting laid off from my job and told him I needed to have surgery before Feb 20. He accommodated me, did my mylogram, then my surgery in the timeframe I needed, and I am now 100%. I would go back to him and recommend him in a minute.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2009

I cannot believe the people who are dissatisfied with Dr Backer are talking about the same Dr who performed my husband's surgery several years ago he told me exactly what to expect six months after the surgery and he was soooo right....he was kind patient and understanding....and I would recommend him to anyone who is in need of his services.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2009

Dr. Robert J. Backer's Credentials

• Saint Louis University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1981)

UnitedHealthcare