Ratings for Dr. Ashkan Lahiji

I do not recommend Dr Lahiji for bunionectomy surgery. He did surgery on my left foot. He released me from his care 4 months after the surgery even though I was having pain. He said the pain would hopefully resolve and if not I could come back and see him. After another 4 months I was having so much pain I went to a new doctor (a podiatrist this time who I have much more confidence in. ) she X rayed my foot and showed me how the bone had not healed; I have a gap where Dr Lahiji broke my foot for the toe realignment. I have also lost about 1/2 inch of bone and my big toe is now 1/2 inch shorter than the toe next to it. I'm now in air cast for at least 6 weeks and doing bone stimulation twice a day. Why did Lahiji release me to do any kind of exercise when my bone wasn't healed? I worked out on my foot (walking, elliptical, hiking. Yes there was pain but I thought it would resolve itself!

flag | Submitted November 28, 2015

After suffering from multiple severe ankle issues over many years which led to significant degeneration of my ankle joint, I consulted with Peachtree Orthopedic Clinic (POC). Given the options of ankle fusion, ankle replacement, or just waiting and living in continued pain, on the advice of POC, I chose ankle replacement and a heel osteotomy. The prognosis was good and I was told that I could expect to be back on the tennis court in 4-6 months... It is now 8 months after my initial surgery and unfortunately I have had two additional surgeries, three staph infections, and permanent damage to the nerves in my foot and ankle. I spend every day in pain and have no idea what the future holds. I can not do anything "normally". To make matters worse, the Doctors at Peachtree Orthopedic Clinic do not really seem to care one way or another. After the original surgery, I had wounds that did not seem to be healing correctly. I visited Dr. Lahiji several times and complained about the wounds and the pain. He dismissed the issue for months, placed a simple bandage over the continually open wounds and then finally scheduled a second surgery to deal with the wounds. While operating, he nicked the nerves in my ankle which led to unbearable painful, intense electrical shocks in my foot, ankle, and leg. This led to a third surgery to sever the sural nerve - and permanent loss of feeling in 20-30% of my foot and ankle. Meanwhile the staph infection either was never cleared, or returned. Months after surgery my leg was so swollen that eventually the wounds ruptured and I had 6-8 ounces of blood and puss that came out of my leg. I was treated with a round of antibiotics which reduced the swelling, but POC never checked to ensure the infection was gone. I was still having pain in my heel and ankle and was told this was normal. Eventually I decided to seek other treatment and am now seeing an infectious disease specialist, wound care doctor, and a new surgeon. Both the infectious specialist and wound care expert are shocked by the lack of proper diagnosis and treatment. Almost immediately, I was diagnosed with a severe staph infection and began intense antibiotic treatments. My wound care treatments continue today and I may have an infection inside the bones in my leg. My new surgeon indicated that the initial surgery was ill advised and that he never would have recommended it. I have now been told that I may or may not ever "recover". I can not walk without pain. There is no way I can exercise in any significant way. I am seeing a Physical Therapist and Massage Therapist multiple times a week, and doing specific exercises every day. My life has deteriorated physically, emotionally and spiritually. I have gone from a very active person, to being inactive, fearful and unsure of what is to come. The "professionals" from POC, Dr. Lahiji and Dr. Beskin, apparently could care less. There is no follow up, in fact no contact. I have told them about the issues, had over a dozen appointments and sent them many emails. Apparently once they installed the "new equipment", they felt like they were done... even though I am far from healed. I wonder if I was one of their family members or loved ones if I would receive the same treatment? I wish I had never ever had the replacement. Perhaps years from now that will change? I have done some deeper research and learned that a very high percentage of ankle replacements lead to second, third even fourth surgeries. In addition, 20-30% of the time there are infections and in many cases nerve damage occurs. Why did they not warn me? And once I did start having problems, why did they not care for me properly? Why do they not care today and why are they not following up? Please, if you are considering joint replacement of any kind, get three qualified options. It is hard to know what questions to ask, but take more time and understand all that may happen. Your life might be changed dramatically and not necessarily for the better. While Dr. Lahiji and Dr. Beskin may have installed the hardware correctly, they did not care for me properly and I am the one who is suffering.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2015

Very knowledgable , courteous, and helpful. Gave me thourough information about treatment and expectations. Would recommend.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015

Dr. Lahiji removed my bunion and straightened my hammer toe. He also fused two bones in my foot because my foot was collapsing. He did a great job! He warned me on my first visit that recovery would be a hassle because I couldn't put any weight on my foot for 2-4 weeks. He was right about that but at least he warned me. My foot is almost recovered now and the operation was a complete success. I would recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2011

Office visit was rushed; wait time was too long. Bedside manner needs to be improved.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2011