Ratings for Dr. Carol A. Rahter

Very bad experience with Dr. Rahter. My son was admitted to ER after having a seizure. He was combative and swearing, behavior which is totally out of character for him, but is a documented short-term side effect of tonic-clonic seizures. An ER doctor should know this and should still treat her patient with the highest level of care and dignity. Instead, Dr. Rahter yelled at my son and was very rude to both of us, even after I told her this behavior was completely out of character for him. She barely examined him then left the room. She returned later with test results positive for lactic acidosis, so she admitted him to the hospital telling me she had "no idea why he would have lactic acidosis after the seizure." We never saw her again although we remained in the ER another 2 1/2 hours (the ER was NOT busy). When we consulted with the on-call doctor after my son was admitted, he informed us that lactic acidosis is a normal side effect of the tonic seizure and he was certain the levels would drop to normal after a few hours (which they did). How is it possible that an ER doctor had *no idea* about this? I would avoid Dr. Rahter for her poor bedside manner and her obvious lack of medical knowledge.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2016

I went to the ED last night for a possible MRSA infection to my left eyebrow. I have already been treating it with Bactrian cream for 3 days with no relieve and worsening pain. I waited in the lobby for 2 hours and then in the room for 3 hours before she even came to see me. When she came in the first time about 2.5 hours into the wait I was in the restroom. When the staff asked her if she had seen me yet she said I tried and she wasn't there. God forbid someone use the restroom which takes two minutes. It took her 45 mins to finally come back to the room. When she did she looked at my head then proceeded to rip the scab off my face and stick a culture swab in the wound after I told her that I had a culture done the day before and was awaiting the results. Is all she had to do was look at lab corp records to see if they were ready. She said I could get an antibiotic and she would not lance the wound. She was very rude and no bedside manner. When I left my book was 153/108. The highest it's ever been in my life. I am a registered nurse so I totally understand the waiting process and did not complain one time about having to wait. It is very hard for me to even get the courage to see a doctor and if I go to the emergency room I know darn well when I know I need further attention. My other complaint is that she breaks every HIPAA rule that I know and she is not at all concerned about confidentiality. You could here her talking about patients with their name at the nurses station and yelled at one man for standing in the hallway too long and called security. He had been waiting for his daughter to be seen for about 3 hours as well. A patient even had an episode in the restroom where there was blood everywhere and her and Dr. Overton was making fun of the patient at the nurses station. I have been at this hospital before and the staff has always been wonderful. I came in for a severe burn about 8 years ago, had my daughter there, and my daughter has been seen in the ED for severe strep throat and I always had great things to say about the care from Waccamaw staff. But this experience was horrible. I am still in a lot of pain and very disappointed to say the least. She is the worst physician I have ever had and she truly does not care about patient care. She is mean to the nurses and patients and breaks every HIPAA rule I know. I should not be going home knowing why ever patient is there, men's they take, and their entire name. She was fired from Conway hospital because of complaints and I would hope Waccamaw does the same thing. I can't believe she was even hired in the first place. Worst doctor ever and I am filing a complaint to the hospital as well.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

Absolutely the worst doctor I have ever come across, incompetent, unprofessional, uncaring, irresponsible, negligent. Elderly patient with history of strokes and pulmonary embolisms, came in with complaints of jaw pain, nausea, clammy skin, confused BP high up to 180/120 and heart rate up to 140 sustained high heart rate. short of breath. Doctor did not do anything sent home after only doing a Urinalysis and a short EKG strip after heart rate had already went to normal. I complained and called cardiologist next morning who said if it happens again bring her to ER and it happened again and so I did. Saw Dr Carol Rahter again. She walked into room saw me and said before she will even look at mom she wants to clear the air and yelled at me for filling complain. I told her this was not the time or place. My mother was having a sustained tachycardia and high blood pressure cardiologist told me to bring her. She kicked me out of the room although I am my mothers full and medical power for attorney because she has dementia. She finally let me in but again did not do anything other than an EKG strip again after my mothers heart rate returned to normal (which was after we were there for hours) I am complaining to hospital again and this time I am filling a complaint with the medical board. This person should not be aloud to practice medicine. She is making a mockery of the Hippocratic oath. Nursing staff were forced to do what she told them but I could tell they were not happy about it and felt for both me and my mother.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2015

I think that she received her medical degree out of a bubble gum machine. WORST DOCTOR EVER!!!!!! She is a sorry excuse of a human being, NO compassion, a worthless human being, a MAJOR POS, and a waste of space and air!!!!! I've worked in Healthcare for OVER 25yrs and I've NEVER seen anyone as unprofessional and uncaring as she is!!!!! I worked with her when she worked in the Emergency Room at Conway Medical Center unfortunately. She was fired from CMC because she was CONSTANTLY getting complaints and being turned in by patients, their family / friends, the hospital staff, and also the Fire / EMS and Police Departments. She thinks that she's better than EVERYONE, thinks that she's God, and treats everybody like they are lower than the lowest scum of the earth!!!! She doesn't know what "patient confidentiality" and "HIPPA" is!!!!! She talks very bad about patients in front of other patients, where anyone and everyone can hear her, she doesn't even have a problem using their name!!!! I actually went into the ER one night when I was off work. I had had a SEVERE migraine for over a week. When she walked into my room I was currently vomiting, my blood pressure was 220/140 and my heart rate was over 150, due to the pain and I was MAJORLY dehydrated. She walked in the room, looked at my vitals (made a comment about them being so elevated), looked at me and said "I'm not treating someone for a headache", she yelled at me and chewed me out because I "WASTED HER TIME". She told me go get dressed and leave. She CAN NOT legally pick and choose what type of patients she wants to treat!!! I turned her in, but of course it did no good!!!! SHE ONLY WORK AT NIGHT Y'ALL, SO DON'T GO TO WACCAMAW ER AT NIGHT, THEY U CAN AVOID SEE ING HER!!!!!!!!!!

flag | Submitted October 6, 2014

Discusses patients conditions, complaints, statements with people who are not involved with that patients care. she talks to people as if they are a complete bother to her. her only desire is to move patients out of the ED at all cost, reguardless if she has not explored what their concerns are and they return over and over. Discusses patients with other colleagues in attempt to sway their opinion of the patient. If u are looking for private trust worthy doctor, move away from her!

flag | Submitted March 22, 2013

Dr. Carol A. Rahter's Credentials

• University Of Osteopathic Medicine And Health Sciences (Grad. 1987)