Ratings for Dr. Michael J. Gillman

Outstanding MD- was treated at the Restore urgent Care and was very impressed and pleased with the care given by not only the doctor but with entire staff. Will refer friends and loved ones...

flag | Submitted January 30, 2016

Would not recommend . missed diagnosis. Second Dr fixed me right up!!

flag | Submitted February 24, 2015

Dr. Gillman is a very kind and caring doctor. He repaired my torn meniscus. He is also very punctual; my appointment was at 10:15 and that is when he was with me! He was always ready to answer my questions and personally called me on the phone to discuss my MRI. After surgery, he removed my stitches and further discussed my recovery with me. I would see him again!

flag | Submitted February 10, 2015

I read the other comments, and agree that Dr. Gillman does not spend "a lot" of time, however, I didn't need him to spend a lot of time with me. I disagree about not caring ... Dr. Gillman is very kind, knowledgable, and knows what he is doing. I researched A LOT of orthopedic surgeons for an issue I was having and am so glad I decided on Dr. Gillman. He saw me quickly (unlike the others who were going to schedule me two months out), sent me for an MRI quickly, and surgery was done within a few weeks. He saw me for follow up appointments in a timely manner and I know I can call if I need anything. I couldn't be happier!! I may have to have knee replacement in the future and have no anxiety about it because I know Dr. Gillman will do a great job!! THANK YOU Dr. Gillman!!

flag | Submitted January 19, 2015

This Doctor does not care about his patient at all. He spent exactly 2:33 minutes with me. I dropped off my MRI for him to read, then he would send me for a Spinal Block. It has been two days and he still has not called. I had been assured he would call on Monday, the day he saw me. I would not recommend this doctor to anyone. Sorry I wasted my time. Unfortunately, I need to start over, however, it will be worth it.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2015

Dr. Michael J. Gillman

Dr. Michael J. Gillman's response
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. My front office staff routinely asks all patients to bring any previous xrays or MRI's to your first visit. I apologize if they did not do so. It is difficult to provide appropriate recommendations without being able to conduct a history and physical examination with previously performed radiology studies and in particular a previously performed MRI. Most orthopaedic surgeons are in surgery about 50% of the time and it can often take 2-3 days to get back to patients after studies are completed or after they are dropped off at our office. I believe I do better then most in this regard. Most important, I try to provide efficient and cost effective care whenever possible. I hope that you will be better soon and apologize that you did not have a positive experience.

Submitted January 22, 2015

My Primary care physician recommended another surgeon. for my hip pain. I saw him and did not have a real warm feeling about him. I looked on-line for a surgeon with good reviews; Dr. Gilman stood-out so I went to him primarily for a second opinion. I liked the way he understood that I was nervous about the surgery and he was very good at going through everything and explaining it in detail. I chose to have a total hip replacement from him and am very glad I did. The things that made Dr. Gilman rise above the others is the extra care he provides; especially to reduce post-surgery pain and discomfort. He implants a pain pump that pretty much eliminated the post surgery pain… I did not even need take an aspirin or ibuprofen for pain. He took the time to put sewed-in stitches instead of the staples that others use. My engineering background tells me that the thread stitches are more similar to your skin and therefore flex and react more naturally. The metal staples are quicker for the surgeon, but because they don’t flex like your skin they can cause more discomfort. It is like a cut on your lip; if you don’t move your mouth much it does not hurt, but if you open your mouth and stretch the skin even slightly… it will hurt again and the staples do not flex with movements in your skin. After the surgery he had me placed into a private room with two ocean-view windows a private room is a good way to mitigate the infection risk. Dr. Gilman himself called me at home a few days after the surgery to make sure everything was going well and to coach me to remove the pain pump. I really appreciated this call and the post surgery care was super… he even worked me in on New Years Eve for a post-surgery check-up. Dr. Gilman seems to be very particular and a perfectionist he wanted to take the stitches-out himself to verify the incision was healing properly; talking to other hip replacement patients many never see the Dr after leaving the hospital; after surgery care is left to PA.s Ultimately, I was very please with my choice of Dr. Gilman; I even insisted my mother got to him for her hip replacement revision

flag | Submitted January 6, 2015

Gillman is a Rockstar! He listens and gives answers I could understand. The surgery was painless and I feel great!

flag | Submitted November 10, 2014

I thank God for Dr Gillman. He reconstructed the torn ligaments. I am feeling better and soon hope to be running again. I felt the staff had my best interest in mind. Thank you very much Dr. Gillman and Staff for helping me get back to life.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2014

I am so surprised at these less than positive ratings for Dr. Gillman. My recent (August and September 2014) office visits were outstanding. The office staff was very nice, I waited about 10 minutes in the waiting room, and about 5 minutes in the exam room. Dr. Gillman took his time explaining my condition to me, answered all of my questions, asked if I had any more questions before he left, and made me feel so secure in his care. I really don't understand these other ratings. I have been to excellent doctors, and I have been to terrible doctors in my life, and I certainly know the difference. Dr. Gillman is up there with the best.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2014

Dr. Gillman, general orthopedic, does not care about patients that present themselves to him, because he only interested in cases he wants to take on. He does not listen to his patients, he thinks he knows each patient better than the patient knows themselves. Well that does not make for a good doctor. He was not interested in my concerns, he just decided it was my fibromyalgia and not the fact that my left foot, ankle and heal are injured and three doctors, two of them being foot and ankle surgeons, have all said that I would need surgery. I believe those doctors over Dr. Gillman. I would not go back to him, even if you pay me. He is one of the worst doctors I have ever gone too. I would not recommend this doctor to anyone. He received one star from me.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2014

Dr. Michael J. Gillman

Dr. Michael J. Gillman's response
Fibromyalgia is a quite difficult problem and rheumatologists or pain management doctors are typically the best specialists to treat those that have this condition. I am sorry if I gave you the wrong impression but I genuinely do care about patients and typically give my best recommendations for treatment. I am a surgeon who definitely does not want to perform any surgery if I do not feel confident that it will be helpful. I am sorry you did not have a positive experience at our office.

Submitted January 22, 2015

Dr. Michael J. Gillman's Credentials

• Case Western Reserve University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1993)
  • Stanford University (Grad. 1989)
  • Tufts University (Grad. 1998)
  • Baylor College Of Medicine (Grad. 1999)

• Alpha Omega Alpha honors graduate, Vitals.com top 10 award, compassionate doctor award

Top Hospitals in Laguna Beach, CA