Ratings for Dr. Bryan H. Harrelson

Very good clinician and diagnostician. Excellent therapists at his office. My husband and I both saw him and wish he was still in Charlotte.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2012

I saw Dr. Harrelson for several years. He diagnosed me with depression and put me on high doses of anti-depressants - Zoloft, Paxil, Wellbutrin. I was unstable on each anti-depressant, but I worsened with Wellbutrin. Over the course of the first week I was on it, I grew very unstable. I called his office and told him that I was unstable and had been unable to sleep for a week. He prescribed 30 sleeping pills. I called him the next day and asked if I could see him because I was feeling worse and still could not sleep. He refused to see me and prescribed a different sleeping pill. This time he prescribed 60 more sleeping pills. So in 2 days, he had prescribed 90 sleeping pills and I told him twice in two days that I was very unstable, depressed, and couldn't sleep. I saw another psychiatrist the next day, and he diagnosed me with bipolar disorder and started me on a mood stabilizer. I wish I had left Harrelson earlier. I wouldn't have spent so many years cycling with mania/depression.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2011

When I lived in Charlotte, I was referred to him through my employer's EAP for layoff related stress. I found him to be nice and polite but he seemed to be basically a pill dispenser. He just handed out pills during office visits that lasted 5-6 minutes. With all the side effects medications can have this seems reckless looking back on it, and wherever he practices now I would not recommend him. I did not find therapy at this office from the counselor any better because it is not helpful to have someone always agree with you- it's like this office was getting paid to hand out pills and agree with everything you say, which is not always for the best- it seemed to be a kind of yuppie Feel Good clinic. That is my honest opinion. The office was always on time and very prompt with appointments, and the doctor did at least seem like he knew the few meds they used pretty well. Did not seem well rounded. Seemed like he used the same meds over and over. An honest opinion FYI.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2008

Dr. Harrelson is a very nice man - kind of reminds me of Mr. Rogers, actually - but he seemed to function more as a pill dispenser than a real investigative clinician. He was continuing to treat me for recurrent depression which had started in 1991 (I saw him from 1998-2004), and my depression got worse, and the therapy he recommended was not working either. After I left Charlotte, I was finally diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder Type II, and the help and medications I've received from that diagnosis have made a world of difference. At one time I even asked Dr. Harrelson if we might consider rethinking the diagnosis of recurrent clinical depression, but he didn't think it was necessary. He was more than happy to prescribe Ritalin to me when I told him I was having trouble concentrating, but that really made matters worse. He is a very nice man, but I don't think he's really the best psychiatrist out there. I was in real agony for many years and a curious outlook from him was needed.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2008

Dr. Harrelson doesn't practice in Charlotte anymore, but when I saw him he was really good. He didn't do therapy at all, the first visit was about an hour and after that he spent about 5 minutes with you for med checks. But, he's sharp on medications and helped me feel better.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2008

Dr. Harrelson is always punctual and polite. Appointments are short (five minutes max) and no, he doesn't do therapy. But I've found him helpful and willing to adjust dosages, try not meds, etc. He has helped me substantially with my depression.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2007

I have been with Dr. Harrelson for a few years. I have had wonderful success with his treatment.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2006

Always on time. Friendly, helpful and takes time to listen to me.

flag | Submitted October 11, 2006

seemed in a big hurry to get you out of his office and refer you to a counselor. seldom made eye contact and very caught up in what medication to prescribe. I saw him for almost two years. Comparing to what I've now had for 2 years, I'd never recommend him.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2006

Was seeing for Rx Meds for depression. Over course of 4 years, he spent no more than 7-8 minutes with me every 3 months, before giving me my Rx. Never had any new questions or inquiries as to how I thought meds were doing. Last two appts I asked to switch meds - I told him I didn't feel comfortable mentally/physically with the Paxil, and he added Buspar on top of it. Was very reluctant to change my meds or help me find something new. I as pretty much a walking wallet. Please, before you accept anti-depressants from any Psych. Dr., research it! I thought it was his responsibility to help do that, and he didn't.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2006

Dr. Bryan H. Harrelson's Credentials

• Bowman Gray Sch Of Med Of Wake Forest Univ, Winston-Salem Nc 27157 (Grad. 1988)