Ratings for Dr. Shannon K. Oates

Dr. Oates is a nightmare for thyroid patients. Maybe she is great with diabetes issues, but she is very unhelpful with my thyroid problems. I had heard from so many people that she only pays attention to the lab values and leaves the patients untreated, but I had to learn the hard way.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2014

Very dissatisfied had a pituitary tumor with all the symptoms she totally missed it was less than helpful acted as if I didnt know anything about my medical situation. ended up having surgery to correct problems that would have been life threatening had I not went around her and seen a doctor in Indy. She would have just left it go with her arrogant attitude!!!

flag | Submitted May 31, 2009

Dr. Oates has been my endocrinologist for several years. I would have to say the quality of care I have received from her has varied. She was very good and attentive in the beginning, but I feel that she has become very rushed recently. She completely blew off some problems I was having and insisted that it wasn't what I thought it was. It turns out it was exactly what I thought it was, and I needed to have surgery for the condition. I actually wish I could switch to another endocrinologist, but I have no other choice in the area.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2008

She is my endocrinologist and sees me for PCOS--polycystic ovary syndrome. She is very helpful and listens well. They have a new electronic medical record that has all my labs and my allergies. She sends my prescriptions to my pharmacy by the computer. Cool!

flag | Submitted October 20, 2007

Dr. Oates has been my doctor for nine years. She helped me through my two difficult pregnancies. I was on over 10,000 units of insulin. Dr. Oates helped me through the pregnancy by watching me closely as I set records. Dr. Oates is a kind, compassionate, well educated endocrinoligist. She knows the new types of medications coming out for diabetes. She addresses each and every question I ask, if she is late she does indeed make up that time and will stay until the visitis completed. I have had more difficulty with the Greenbush receptionists. Dr. Oates sent me a personal letter stating she had addressed the staff and how she would want to be treated as if she were the patient. She is wonderful and anyone who is able to be treated by her is lucky. Arnett is lucky to her.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2007

Dr. Oats takes care of my 10 year old sons diabetic cares great. She is always letting us know new products that are out and new information. She is very helpful but sometimes rushes us. If we have a list of questions she will take the time to address each of them. We love her so much and trust her to take care of our 10 yr old son.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2007

Is not thorough in diagnosing possibility of thyroid problem. Daughter had Hashimoto Thyroiditis and Dr. Oates had told my daughter she was too young to check thyroid. After sh went to a regular internist she was diagnosed properly. One of her cousins has the same thing and his doctors found out when he was 10. Also broke patient confidentiality with me by talking to ex-boss about me and my ex-bosses appointment or over the phone instead of directing the boss to the proper Doctor I was seeing concerning problem with physical pain problem.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2007

Dr. Oates is ok. She talks really fast and sometimes its hard to understand what she is saying. She is very personable but I don't see her anymore because her office visits are EXPENSIVE. I have great health insurance and I can't afford to see her. My last visit cost me $186.00.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2007

Must've been a totally different person I went to. I was just another lab number to her, will never see her again. Going to another doctor now and feeling SO much better!

flag | Submitted March 20, 2007

Wow, what a fund of knowledge. She is on the cutting edge of endocrinology. Very supportive and takes time to answer questions.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2006

Dr. Shannon K. Oates's Credentials

• Indiana University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1988)