Ratings for Dr. John M. Szczesny

I am posting this almost 3 years after seeing Dr. Szczesny. I was willing to wait to see him due to the fact that he saved my life. I went in for osteoarthritis in my knees. When he examined me, he informed me that my spleen was enlarged. I followed up with my primary, only to find out that I had kidney cancer. If Dr. Szczesny had not informed me of my spleen, the cancer probably would have spread.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2013

I will admit that the wait to see this doctor is a bit long but I was placed on a cancellation list and called after a few weeks to come in sooner. I don't know if he has had a recent change in office staff or if the people who rated him before where just having a bad day, but the staff was wonderful and very caring. I didnt have much of a wait at all once I was there and the waiting room was very pleasant. Once he came into the room he gave me ample attention and listened very closely to all my complaints. After one visit my symptoms have already improved greatly. That is more than I can say for what my primay doctor did.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2011

Ive been going to Dr. Szcesny for years and I will say there is a very long wait. But he is a good listener and has always been very knowledgable and understanding to my current condition. I've also seen his Arnp who is much more punctual and also very kind. The front office could be a little more professional but overall I am in much better shape thanks to this Doctor. He has also been very understanding of my finnancial situation unlike any of my other doctors, I am able to make payments, and the prescriptions he provides me are inexpensive.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2011

I have been going to Dr. Szczesny now for over 3 years. His staff is RUDE, he too is RUDE. I know he is a sick man himself, but it's funny, he doesn't empathize with patients who live in pain. God help you should you google info and find out info that he has never heard of, you will be chastised. Trust me, I've been there. Once your body has become used to the medication and it does nothing for you anylonger, good luck trying to get him to change it. As for his staff, they are the RUDEST group of clerical workers I have ever seen. A patient is a "customer" and you should always treat their customers respect, the "cutsomers" help pay THEIR salary. The wait time is horrible. Late is the day is the worst time as for waiting. I tried first appointment and that too was not good. You just have to face it, any time you go to his office, expect @ least a 3 hr stay. As mentioned earlier about antiquiated medicines, that is true. If u have any control over which dr, choose another!

flag | Submitted July 28, 2011

Rude and always late. His office called me to come in early because "he has an appointment at your scheduled time" then after being there for 1 1/2 hours they led me to an exam room where I sat for an hour. I finally got up and roamed around until I found somebody and asked what was going on. The frightened and embarrassed acting office worker led me to a group of assistants who seemed to be having an office party and they too then acted frightened and embarrassed while telling me the Dr had to leave on an emergency. One he showed up I told him what went on and he said "I don't know why they asked you to come in early." Uh ... this doesn't add up. The rest of the visit he was confrontational towards me and dismissive of my complaints. I'm looking for another doctor. I recommend you do too. Another weird thing was the older female sheriff's deputy walking the hall carrying out trash. That was very odd. The whole office is odd. Oh, and they have messed up on my prescriptions three times.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2011

My primary set up this appt over 2 1/2 months ago on a urgent basis 1st contact I had was a voicemail the day before my appt saying my appt was for tomorrow and if I did not call back before 4:30 they would cancel my appt. I work in a prison and cant take my phone in and dont get off work until 5pm. Luckily I left early and got the message when I called to confirm I was upset that after waiting so long to get in they would just cancel my appt. the person was rude and snipey with me. I havent even seen this doctor and really dont want to go if that is how he trains his staff and I have Fibromyalgia any stress causes me to get tenser and hurt more; maybe that is the plan to do that before patients come in. I really dont have a choice due to my insurance but if I did I sure would not even go to the 1st appt. I will post my results tomorrow after appt. if I like him I will tell him how I feel about his staff's rudeness maybe he is not aware.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2011

I had a drs appointment set up for three months, I was on time for my appt, (actually a few minutes early)and was told that the appt had been canceled because I didn't confirm it 2 days prior to appt date.Rude office receptionist stated she tried calling my work # (I haven't worked in 2 years) and home number(caller ID showed no such call.)I strongly urge you, if you get an appointment, to call his office to confirm, otherwise, you will not be seen.I drove 100 miles, my wife missed a day of work, and I missed a day of college classes.Thank you so much for your compassion.not. After discussing the matter with people who had seen him, I feel like I didn't miss a thing.No positive comments were stated by anyone I talked to , including drs.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2010

At first i was very irritated at how long i had to wait to be seen. when i was fianally taken back to be seen his nurse told me that he spends alot of time with his patients and she was very appoligetic about my wait but he would show me the same amt of time he did everyone else. She was right! He quietly listened to my complaints and did a very indepth exam, and thats rare these days. By the time i left i felt like i was in good hands as far as my conditiion goes. His staff is very friendly and helpfull. Next visit ill just remember to bring a good book to read while i wait.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2010

Only see the nurse now; she's very nice, and very overworked, but it is a limited medical event; never sure I have gotten a thorough checkup, and often problems are swept under the rug as part of "getting older." Plan to stay a while---have been going there a several years, and have never once been seen on time.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2009

He is a great listenener, that is the best skill you can have for Lupus. He tells you the truth and doesn't sugar coat it. He is very thorough. My disease is currently under control, but If it wasn't I would trust him.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2009

Dr. John M. Szczesny's Credentials

• Umdnj-New Jersey Med Sch, Newark Nj 07103 (Grad. 1976)