Ratings for Dr. Kumari L. Moturu

Rude staff and horrible practices do not visit this office ... Dr. Kumari Daughter who is an admin is the rudest of all as well as the receptionist

flag | Submitted May 4, 2017

I am not one to post reviews and complain but my experience at this office has been extremely unpleasant and frustrating that am going out of my way to share this with others in hopes they don't go through what I have. First off, I have spent my share in therapy and have had many different experiences with different doctors and I have to respectfully say Dr. Moturu and her staff have been on the low end of my experience spectrum. Considering most people go to work/attend school, her office hours are inconvenient to any productive members of society. That is, unless you have an opening between the hours of 8am and 3:30pm don't waste your time trying to schedule an appointment. My second issue is with her ethics. I moved to Baton Rouge from another city and have a previous medical record. I have already transferred doctors once before and was well aware of the process, which I assumed I would go through with Dr. Moturu. No matter what your diagnosis is, I feel an ethical and diligent doctor would want your extensive background before they start writing out prescriptions. This wasn't the case with Dr. Moturu, within the first 10 minutes of our 30 minute appointment I offered to sign what was necessary to transfer my records over to her office. She brushed it off and said she didn't need it, then went ahead and prescribed me a medication that I've never been on since she didn't prescribe the medication my previous doctor had given me. After a month of taking the medicine,(she felt was comparable to my previous med) I called in around 3pm saying I wanted to speak to the doctor because I've experienced a lot of suicidal thoughts over the last day. Her secretary said she would have someone call me back, but no one followed up. Its really upsetting not to feel like your in the hands of a trustworthy doctor, I don't take such matters lightly, especially if I haven't had a history with suicide, so her behavior as a medical professional is really alarming. Lastly, I had an appointment scheduled on a Tuesday, and later found out I could not attend. So when I tried calling the day before to cancel it, I got a busy signal. I tried calling again, and again the same busy signal. Five minutes later I got a call from her office confirming my appointment for the next day and I told the secretary that I wouldn't be able to make it. She asked me if I was aware of the cancellation policy and I said yes, 24hrs correct? She said yes as long as it was before 2pm. Dr. Moturu's secretary called me at 2:04pm, when I tried explaining to her I had just tried calling moments ago and that I got a busy signal, she raised her voice at me and said it would just get charged to my account. When it comes to mental healthcare you shouldn't feel like you are jeopardizing your well being, and that's how I feel as a patient of Dr. Kumari Moturu. I work 40+ hours a week, so finding another provider is an inconvenience, but it has to happen at this point I hope this help guide others to continue searching for the right provider or prompts a change in the office itself.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2014

See Dr. Kumari for my 8yo daughter w/ ADHD. The whole thing feels rushed. We sit in front of her desk for maybe 4 minutes total before she hands me the regular script and says, "2 months dear." She does not answer questions well and after this is only the 2nd medication we are trying for her ADHD, told me "If this doesn't work out, I am not sure what to do." Are you kidding me? There are hundreds of things that we can try (and not all of them have to be medication). Give me some referances, advice, something! I am not trying to be rude, but honestly, she is not helpful at all. I can say that her eye contact is poor, her personality "dry" and her accent extremely hard to understand. I am not blaming it all on the fact that she is not from here, I know plenty of people from around the world. It's "personality".. But that aside, NO, she has not helped my daughter or me at all. I am going to figure out my options and WILL NOT be returning to that office. I am not a diffacult or picky person, but with something as important as this, I need more personable service.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2014

Dr Moturu is a great psychiatrist! She doesn't beat around the bush. Her eye contact may not be that great, but she LISTENS VERY WELL, better than most doctors. She does NOT over-prescribe. They also have excellent counselors and nurse practitioner.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2013

I went to a same psychiatrist for 11 years and she retired and closed her practice. I went to 2 different new doctors and did not like either one. Then I went to Dr. Kumari, my first visit lasted about 15 minutes and she refilled my meds. I was suffering from the grief of losing my husband. I have major depression diagnosed about 25 years ago. When I saw Dr. Kumari I thought about death all of the time. I eventually got better in the next 3 years but not from the help of her. She never changed my medication to see if that would help even after I asked her to. I have been seeing her now for 4 years because I am on Medicare and have not found anyone else that just takes that. When I see her I sit in a chair facing her desk, I walk in she never looks up from my file and never even makes eye contact. She ask how I'm doing and if I start to answer she doesn't answer she is just writing out my meds, then she hands them to me and says 3 months dear.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2013

The doctor was patient and listened to everything. Very nice and knowledgable

flag | Submitted March 11, 2009

Didn't ask for a full list of all the medications I was taking. Was in a hurry. Making personal phone calls during my appointment. Difficult to understand. Didn't answer questions very well.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2009