Ratings for Dr. Sonia J. Salgado

I have been a patient of Dr. Salgado for several years now; she handled my fibroid surgery. She has been nothing but professional, knowledgable, friendly and and honest, and I will keep going back to her. She is an absolute gem.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2015

I wouldn't recommend this place at all. My doctor was Sonia Salgado. First appointment went ok, even though, she did few exams on me which she said my insurance will cover, it never did and I end paying for them... Second appointment , she made me wait 15 minutes outside, inside her office 45 min. more. Why??? She wasn't ready, her assistant never found my medical records. That's the reason she gave me ... When the results of the tests she made on me came, and she told me I need more vitamin D.... I asked her what did she suggests me to get in order to have more vitamin D ? her answer was..."Google it". Can you believe a doctor answers like that??? She referred me to an specialist for my fibroids, I went there (they are pretty good), maybe the best thing she did. On the third appointment with her, when I asked her regarding my fibroids , her answer was...." we will see that later, is not important now, it's too early, plus I have other patients waiting for me outside", she was very rude. On top of that... she told me "next time ask more questions to the specialist, your insurance pays them a lot", like if she doesn't make enough money with me. This is not the type of service we deserve. This is the worst experience I had.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2015

I had just been transferred to the VA area in 2004 after living and working in Puerto Rico for approx. 30 years. I tearfully left my OB/GYN in PR after 30 years. He was the best MD, brought my son into the world and was also a professor at the Univ. or PR School of Medicine. My son recommended I search for an MD who has attended the UPR/School of Medicine and might also know my previous MD. So I found Dr. S. Big mistake. She was rude, rough and when I asked her if she knew Dr. Cruz-Cruz, she didn't know him and didn't care. Everyone knows him in addition to my son's father who was the Dean who was on the Admissions Committee and interviewed all the students at the School of Medicine. OK. She then told me I needed to have a colonoscopy asap and if I didn't have it done, not to bother to come back. I left in a state of shock since I had never been treated so rudely by any MD. I had it done but I didn't go back there anymore.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2013

She is the worst dr. I have ever seen. She really doesn't care, doesn't read you chart, doesn't follow up. She has zero bedside manner. Her staff is awful too. I am shopping for a new doctor. I am done wasting my time with her. I have been trying to get a bone scan/mammogram for 4 months now. They never return my calls.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2013

This facility is very disorganized. They do not honor appointments. If they did, there's no reason why I had to wait almost 40 minutes to see Dr. Salgado. If I made this appointment on a lunch break, I would be in big trouble. Also, they do not prefer to communicate. There have been plenty of times I needed to speak with a nurse. It's not only hard to get through, but they just don't respond - even if you call or e-mail. The quickest way to get through to these women is to send a fax and call to confirm it, then address your concerns. But they do not have customer service. I really think they need to change their name because for a bunch of women to being servicing other women at such a low quality of health care is a shame!

flag | Submitted October 17, 2012

1. She's not very communicative during a consult and spends as little time as possible with you. 2. Her staff seem friendly at first but then they NEVER call you back. Even the attending nurse didn't call back to answer a medical question. Drs are only as good as the customer service the staff provides. The ones at Physicians for Women are terrible! 3. To go over the results of my pelvic sonograms (fibroids) I was going to have to wait OVER A MONTH to see her. In that time I saw two other doctors and will have the surgery done to remove a 5" fibroid! Why would you pay good money to be ignored and treated as insignificant when doctors are a dime a dozen? Save yourself the wasted time from work and co-payments. Go elsewhere. Dr. Sonia Salgado has gotten bad reviews when she was at other practices as well. DO NOT GO SEE DR. SONIA SALGADO. AND IF PHYSICIAN'S FOR WOMEN ALLOW THIS, YOU SHOULD AVOID THE PRACTICE COMPLETELY.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2012

"Dr." Sonia was simply helpless, mean, unprofessional and mean. She never introduce herself it was just horrible experience.

flag | Submitted December 20, 2011

I waited more than 95 minutes for my first annual GYN exam with Dr Salgado; just as I was about to walk out, she showed up, barely said hello, and immediately asked if I was seeing anyone about bariatric surgery (not that I asked or wanted one!) She left the room, came back 15 mins later, did the pap and was gone again after giving me a card for the bariatric surgeon, and a referral for an ultrasound to "check my ovaries" (why, I have no idea). Two hours for less than 10 minutes with the doctor, half of which was her trying to sell me on lapband surgery. Unbelievable! Needless to say, I will not be going back to her or that practice.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2011

I have seen Dr. Salgado twice as part of my prenatal consultations at Physicians for Women. She is BY FAR my least favorite doctor there. She is perpetually late and when she does finally see you, she is in and out the door in 60 seconds (no "do you have any questions" or "how are you feeling" - nothing). Don't expect much care and concern from her...I'm praying that she's not the on-call doctor for my delivery.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2011

This was my first appt with this practice after being released from my high risk doctor. I arrived 30 minutes prior to my appt time to fill out paperwork. They "forgot" to put my appt on the calendar so I waited for 2.5 hours to see the dr. I saw her for 10 minutes in which she performed several tests I specifically did not consent to, did not answer any questions, made several incorrect assumptions about my general health, and did not ask for any medical history from me. I asked for a recommendation for a dietitian and she said I didn't need one (after telling me how overweight and out of shape I am). A nurse finally gave me the info. She then sent me to have an NT scan at the hospital, which was a "squeeze in" appt because they forgot to make an actual appt for me. I could go on with the mess that was this appt but the bottom line is that I did not feel like I could trust this doctor with my care and well being and will be looking for another dr. I do not recommend her to anyone.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2010

Dr. Sonia J. Salgado's Credentials

• University Of Puerto Rico School Of Medicine (Grad. 1985)