Ratings for Dr. Clark D. Gerhart

I thought his staff was very friendly and he was very knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2017

I was in a bariatric surgery program with this physician and his office (Surgical Specialists of Wyoming Valley). I hadn't had any issues with the physician but the office was horrendous. I only had two appointments with this office. The first one was cancelled 2 hours before my appointment. The second one was late by an hour. The office failed to notify patients that the doctor was running so late. During my first visit, they provided me a receipt with someone else's full demographic information. As this was a compliance issue, I had an ethical obligation to report it. I turned the receipt it and notified them of the breach. Then, during a support group, one of the employees whose husband is an anesthesiologist for them admitted to texting medical and personal information about patients. (She's not a physician or medical provider and legally does not have the right to this information.) I reported this as well. After the first visit, I faxed in required documents to their office that contained personal health information. I received a fax confirmation that they were received but called to confirm just to be safe. They confirmed they received two pages. At my last appointment, they advised me that they never received it (despite my call, and proof). Instead of trying to find it, they denied they received it at all and said I should just forge my own information. (That's not ok). On my last visit I also discovered that they incorrectly recorded my weight. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal but I'm here for weight loss surgery, so it's a bit more important. Despite all of my issues, I liked the surgeon and trusted him. I kept telling myself just to keep moving forward. That the goal of surgery was close and then my exposure to the office staff would be limited (hopefully). I was due to have surgery on June 3rd. I was told to not start my liquid diet on May 20th if I hadn't heard anything about insurance. Yesterday in the morning (5/19) I called to check in, because I hadn't heard anything. I was told the person who could help me was on the phone. They took my info and said she'd call me back soon. Around 4 p.m. I hadn't heard anything and didn't want them to close without knowing whether to start my liquid diet or not. I called back. I was transferred without warning to the office manager who advised me they had actually never sent my insurance request because they are dropping me as a patient. When I asked why, they said it was due to my compliance complaints. That I'd be happier elsewhere. So two weeks before my surgery, they dropped me as a patient because I did the ethical thing and reported their data breaches. How petty and retaliatory. This is a surgery I need. For me, it's not really elective. I have severely damaged discs. I've had emergency back surgery to control the pain but my movement is still very much impaired. I'm not cleared to exercise so losing a substantial amount of weight is all but impossible. Without this surgery I could end up paralyzed. I have spent so much money and time working my butt off to keep up all the appointments, and meet all the requirements. This office should be ashamed of themselves.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2015

Had Minimal surgery to do hernia Left side. It failed,two weeks later had to make larger Incision to put a screen in right!

flag | Submitted August 8, 2014

I had a great experience with Dr. Gerhart from the first contact to my post-op visit. He made me feel like I was his only patient. He took all the time I needed to have my questions answered before and after my surgery. He made sure I was comfortable and well cared for. No one likes to have surgery, but Dr. Gerhart made it as easy for me as possible. His kindness, compassion, knowledge and skills were tops in my book.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2013

Dr Gerhart removed gallbladder. Very pleased with him plus procedure. No problems encountered.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2007

Very knowledgeable about ARD, I simply had no problems at all with my surgery for ARD and endometriosis. His communication with my PCP was also great. No problems after the surgery and I feel that he did an excellent job in every aspect of my care. I would recommend him to my friends so that says alot. He was very careful and did not seem to do anything unneccesarily.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2006

Claims to understand ARD, but when you don't get well after surgery with him, and most likely after an unneccessary bowel resection, he will blow you off and make other excuses for why you are still suffering. Offers to stretch bowel strictures in his office (not in a hospital) without any anesthesia at all! If you're not comfortable with that he would prefer you go to someone else! That worked for me! Wish I knew before the surgery! Then, if you make any complaints about him, he will continue to bill you and your insurance company repeatedly for years!

flag | Submitted December 25, 2005

Dr. Clark D. Gerhart's Credentials

• Hahnemann Univ Sch Of Med, Philadelphia Pa 19102 (Grad. 1990)