Ratings for Dr. Howard R. Mertz

Mertz misdiagnosed my daughter. He told her she was just constipated and should take laxatives. The next day, we took her to the ER because she was in such pain. After a scan, a colon blockage was found. Mertz was so certain the blockage was Crohn's disease and placed a stent into the mass. The stent perforated her colon. The mass was NOT Crohn's but was CANCER! The perforation caused her to become septic, almost die, and cancer cells released into her abdomen! DO NOT GO TO MERTZ!!!

flag | Submitted July 6, 2017

I saw Dr. Mertz' assistant yesterday. She was not helpful or sympathetic to my needs. Very blunt answers like you need to have a Nissen Fundiplication prcedure and that's it. She tried to talk me into a Bravo which I declined as it's a computer they surgically implant to find out some info but they aren't sure. I am very confused. I called back today cause they set me up with a general surgeon when it was discussed if this Nissen procedure or Bariatric surgery would be best. She wanted us to talk with a surgeon. I got a voice mail but it was unclear and when I called back through 3 times I finally got someone to confirm the appt. Then I called Dr. Thomas's office and found that the appointment was a totally different time. I asked if it was covered by medicare and no one knew. What a mess. Then I call back to Dr. Mertz office and the lady claimed I was yelling when I wasn't and wanted me excommunicated from the practice. As a result I hung up.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2014

he did a great job he originally found an issue and so we waited only a short time and re did the exam finding no problems the second time made me feel good he was very reassuring during the entire process.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2013

I waited for 3 wks for appt with Mertz b/c he's "the best" in Nashville. I waited 2 hrs in waiting room and overheard other patients talking. Apparently that is an average wait time. I waited another 30 min in patient room before walkign out. I told the nurse that my time was also valuable and I was leaving. She just shrugged her shoulders. Offered no apology or explanation. The staff was exceptionally rude. The lady at reception acted like it was a major inconvenience to check me in. I can't really say much about Mertz since he never graced me with his presence but I'd rather see the 3rd or 4th "best" doctor and be treated like a human than deal with that office again.

flag | Submitted July 2, 2013

Went to doctor with extreme pain in abdomen for 6-9 months, diarrhea/vomiting getting worse over the last 6 years and was told I had a muscle pull. This is obviously not a good diagnosis and I hate that I have to pay him for 5 minutes of nothing.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2012

Did not listen to patients complaint, didn't explain findings, missed cancer diagnosis after history of cancer, patient died waiting for correct tests, then no empathy, sympathy - actually cold in response.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2010

I had an endo,and was very concerned about the results, the staff was wonderful. Dr.Mertz seemed competent, at least I hope so, he could use a little better bedside manner. He did not ask if I had any questions, and did not explain the procedure, maybe he was just too busy. Seemed like he was in a big hurry.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2009

had a endoscope done and afterwards he explained what he found and the steps needed in a easy but detailed manner looking forward to him helping me take care of my illness that i've endured the last 5 years

flag | Submitted March 5, 2009

flag | Submitted July 30, 2008

Dr. Howard R. Mertz's Credentials

• Baylor College Of Medicine (Grad. 1986)

Tufts