Ratings for Dr. Joe P. Merritt

Huge "ICK" factor here...as soon as you walk through the building, you just know. I had an 8:30 appointment. Being a new patient, I arrived at 8:10 to fill out paperwork. Little did I know, they don't open their doors until 8:30. I sat outside their office waiting. I did the paperwork and he came out and stared at me for a long few seconds...creepy. I should have left then. At 5 till 9:00, I went to the reception desk to make sure I had the right time..."my appointment was at 8:30, right?" She said the nurse was getting me just then. Mind you...I am the ONLY patient in the office. The nurse was NOT friendly at all. She said for me to put my things down and take a urinalysis. Not a "good morning" or anything. I told her I would rather keep my purse with me. She said "Do whatever you got to do..." in a rude tone, smirked and walked away. I FINALLY decided to leave. I took my demographics with me. It was the worst Dr.'s visit I have been to and I never even made it to the exam room. Do what you feel is right in your gut, ladies!! I shouldn't have wasted all that time waiting when I had a bad feeling as soon as I walked in that creepy and smelly building.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2014

I have been using Dr. Merritt for 10 years. He delivered my 10 y/o daughter in '04, my 4 y/o twins in '09, performed cytosurgery for precancerous cells on my cervix, and delivered my 2nd set of twins (3mth b/g). I was able to have all vaginal deliveries, even w/the last one being a footling because of his experience. He is very good about answering questions, has a good bedside manner. He was very reassuring during my cancer scare. His nurses are both very sweet. In & out in under an hour. Highly recommend him!

flag | Submitted July 10, 2014

When I found out I was pregnant, I was almost 4 months along and I was 37 years old. This was considered a high risk pregnancy. I called several doctors and because of the high risk of this pregnancy, no one would accept me as a patient. Someone at work suggested I call her doctor, dr. Merritt. Dr. Merritt and his staff has always been friendly and professional. I had a complicated pregnancy to say the least. My son was born over 4 weeks early and he was breach. I had a c section. He done an awesome job. I have referred several people to him since and all have been very pleased with him. I would recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2014

Horrible Doctor, DO NOT let your young daughters go to him... Its been years since he did an exam on me which was for a second opinion for surgery and that SOB hurt me during the exam, stating" how can you not be a virgin and this hurts??" What a POS, thought about contacting an attorney then because of his unprofessional disposition... But I went on to find a BETTER doctor.. This man shouldnt even practice anymore.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2014

My family Dr. referred me to Dr. Merritt. The ultrasound I had before going to him showed what looked like a solid mass on my left ovary about the size of a golf ball. He came in without even looking at me & read the results. I asked him what it meant & he said "to put it simply, either you're going to be fine or you're going to die". After I stared at him in shock for a minute, he said either it's a more complex cyst or "you have cancer". Just like that. No bedside manner at all. The exam hurt & when I winced he said "I'm not hurting you". I said "yes, you are" & he said "No. If you want it to hurt, I can make it hurt". The nurse looked stunned & apologized to me after he left. He also said that if we had to do a biopsy, he would do a laparoscopy so "don't worry, you won't even be able to see the scar". Like I care about a scar after he said it might be cancer! I cried all the way home. There are no words for how mad my husband was.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2012

Do not let your daughters go to this man. He not only misdiagnosed me; but, during my exam he was hurting me. He sent the female nurse out of the room and continued a physcialexam with his four fingers and the base of his hand. I asked him to stop and he continued. I had to get up off the table and get in his space, then I had to redress myself in front of him. I ended up having to sit on the elavator floor to regain my composure and my husband had to help me to the car.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2010

i had a doctor for my whole pregnancy who would deliver me but did not know how to do c-sections. But as my luck would have it i ended up having to have a c-section so she had to have merritt come deliver my baby. he did a great job and has been seeing me ever since i get in fast and out fast! i have not had any problems so far.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2009

Adored Dr. Merritt. He took the time to listen to my concerns and do further testing. I delivered my daughter at 32 weeks and I could have lost her if he hadn't taken the time to listen to me and realize what was really wrong. He sat with me for hours before I delivered and talked me through everything. AMAZING!

flag | Submitted March 5, 2009

Lost child due to poor service. Not fully checking and doing his job

flag | Submitted September 18, 2008

He didnt tell me that he didnt do lab work OR ultra sounds at his office. He didnt bother to tell me that I needed to FIND somewhere else on my OWN. to get my labs done, and then I had to go to the hospital to get ultra sounds. I was waiting in the room for about 20 minutes before he ever went into my room to see me. I waited an additional 30 minutes before he ever came back! There wasnt anyone else in or out of the office, I know because my mother-in-law was in the waiting room. He told me that my family and friends wouldnt care if I had a hard pregnancy, and he also told me that I would be a bad person to have a gun in the house with, because I would hear my 5 year old playing in the middle of the night, think he/she was a robber and shoot him/her in the head! WHAT KIND OF DOCTOR SAYS THAT TO AN 18 YEAR OLD NEW MOM WHO IS TERRIFIED ANYWAY! I do NOT reccomend him to ANYONE. Thank you.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2008

Dr. Joe P. Merritt's Credentials

• Washington Univ Sch Of Med, St Louis Mo 63110 (Grad. 1971)