Ratings for Dr. Winthrop S. Risk

After over five years of research , Dr.s and test with no answers, we finally got someone who listened and made sure we were not left in the dark. He has not only given answers, but has given us hope. That is almost worth more than words can express. There was none of judgement or the "it's nothing , all in your head" attitude that we had experienced everywhere simply for wanting to know what was going on. The guy also has a sense of humor, something I think is missed in the medical community. Made us feel at ease.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2018

Dr Risk has help me more than any otherDR. i'VE seen in my entire life. Solved headache problems. He is professional. The entired staff goes above AND BEYOND to help patients. Excellent Dr. Takes time to listen. Thorough. I love Amy. and His mother is a joy.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2015

Literally the WORST experience of my life! Dr. Risk attempted to do a spinal tab on me and it took 12 times. Of course the results came back with too much blood in it and I had to have it repeated at UIHC. He was very condescending and rude. I went in to see him because he was the first neurologist with the soonest opening. I was suffering from weakness on my left side, loss of vision, and a MRI that showed 18 in my brain. Everything was pointing to the diagnosis of MS. My sister was diagnosed with MS 4 years before this had happened so she went with me to see Dr. Risk, along with our youngest sister. Both of them were very upset with him and thought he was extremely unprofessional. After seeing him he called me to tell me I didn't have MS. Of course at that time I already saw a neurologist at UIHC that did the spinal tab on 1 attempt and he diagnosed me with MS. I went for a 3rd opinion to see my sisters neurologists and he said the same. I have MS and have been extremely happy with my neurologist. And anyone that I encounter that has any neurological issues. I strongly recommend NOT seeing Dr. Risk. I heard recently he lost his privelages to perscrib medications.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2014

Highly recommend this doctor,he knows what how to take care of patients.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2014

I have Parkinson's. I was referred to Dr Risk by my docs in Dubuque,IA over the local neurologists. I travel 170 miles each way and he's an out-of-network doc for me. I have found him to be very knowledgeable and sincerely interested in my situation. He was able to identify the Parkinson's while the docs I had seen prior were unable to do so... now it's obvious. I would recommend him.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2012

They've always gotten me in right away whenever I needed it. He always spends time explaining things and has always been right on.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2012

dr risk is the best by far, he has help me more than any other dr ever has ,i will never stop seeing him ,he takes his time ,and he treats me with respect and cares about how i am feeing and takes the time to listen, he has called me at my home on saturday before to check to see how medication were working for me ,how many doctors do this ,he is one of a kind,and we need more like him, he explanes all medication to me . i have many illness .and have a lot of pain.thank god for dr risk.i drive over an hour one way to see dr risk and would drive farther if i had to, thank you dr risk for all you do for me and others god bless becky neff aurora iowa

flag | Submitted February 4, 2011

never helped me. had to use book to research things. gave me lots of prescriptions

flag | Submitted July 30, 2010

I have MS amd was told because of my reaction to a steroid nothing else could be done for me when I had relapses bt 2 other doctors. Was recomended by a Nueologist from the Mayo Clinic group in Lacrosse Wisc. to see Dr. Risk in Cedar Rapids Iowa as that is closer to my home and we had no Nuerokogists in Waterloo, Iowa at the time. He has helpped me alot and takes his time to treat his patients. bot that ib and out in 10 to 15 minutes you with other Nueologist I have seen and I had been to 3 others before him.He takes his time with me and explains to me what is going on and what to expect. He is very caring about his patients as well as hiss office staff. I am very proud he is my Doctor

flag | Submitted July 18, 2010

The first visit he acted like he cared and wanted to help me find answers. He took the time to talk and asked questions. The second visit only days later, after having a reaction to the meds he put me on, he had no memory of who I was. All he wanted to do was write a script and send me on my way. In short, told me he didn't know what was making me ill and he was ready to give up already. So much for all the good reviews I read on here. He isn't any different than the rest of the doctors out there. If your condition isn't text book scenario, then you can't get answers. I think I'm going to the Mayo next. Too bad we can't find doctors around here that really care to help.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2010

Dr. Winthrop S. Risk's Credentials

• Finch U Of Hs/Chicago Med Sch, North Chicago Il 60664 (Grad. 1995)

Top Hospitals in Cedar Rapids, IA