Ratings for Dr. Norman Bull

I took my son to Dr. Bull's office twice. The first time the appointment was on time and went fine but they failed to bill my insurance and then failed to follow up with me about an outstanding bill (they had both my wife's and my contact information) and when I went to book another appointment I was unable until I paid in full (would not direct bill insurance). I did so and booked another appointment and they called to confirm the day before but told my wife the wrong time. I showed up at the time we were told only to find that it was incorrect. It was blamed on "new staff". While I was there another lady had the same problem where she was told the appointment was on a certain day only to show up and find out it was the next day and they "couldn't do anything". Dr. Bull himself was fine with my son but his office staff is incompetent and disorganized so we have gone to a different dentist.

flag | Submitted September 5, 2017

Dr.Bull is great dentist. My daughter actually enjoyed being there, wasn't scared one bit. Thank you Dr.Bull and staff for being so welcome and made our experience great. She no longer is afraid of the Dentist.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2017

Grew up gettig my teeth looked at by dr bull hes super friendly every time and very diligent.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2017

Dr Bull and his staff (particularity hi staff) is rude and condescending. I wouldn't take any of my children there nor would i recommend this terribly unprofessional office to anyone ! The way my family and I were treated was appalling and he shouldn't be practicing on children as he has zero tact. I can't even get started on his staff..... TERRIBLE! Don't go there, there is other offices that are MUCH BETTER!!! Try Dr Magne in Langord or in Sidney i believe. Just google Pedodontist ... good luck!

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

I do not recommend Dr Bull for children if they are nervous at all about a dental procedure. I brought my six-year-old son to get a filling done, on the referral of our family doctor. My son is not a terribly difficult child, but he was upset that there was a needle involved. Dr Bull had me give him a sedative the night before and another one the morning of the appointment. He also used laughing gas and - of course - a topical anaesthetic. My son was still upset and complained that the needle hurt. What upset me was how little Dr Bull was willing to try to resolve the situation. Having invested about 4 minutes of his time, he announced, "I won't be able to work with your son", and immediately pushed me towards having him put under general anaesthetic - $400 that likely wouldn't be covered by my insurance, not to mention an unnecessary risk. I'm not an expert, but if someone goes into children's dentistry and has THREE tools at his disposal - sedatives, laughing gas and topical anaesthetic - plus, hopefully, a certain knack for working with children and putting them at ease - he should be able to help a child through a simple filling. I also found the staff disagreeable. The office functions with a kind of "this is how it's going to be, get with the program" kind of vibe. When I came back out to get paperwork for the potential return visit (under general anaesthetic) the receptionist began explaining to me about the extractions that were to be performed. When I said, no, wait, we're talking about fillings only, she looked at me as though that was a technicality and there was no reason to overreact. I've read some of the other reviews here - and *I* feel traumatized by the experience of the poor mother whose 1.5 year old son had his four front teeth extracted unnecessarily, scarring his childhood and probably making him afraid of dentists forever. This doesn't sound like pediatric dentistry in 21st-century Canada.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2017

My daughter fell at school and we called frantically at 3:45pm on a Friday hoping for an emergency appointment. We had just moved to Victoria and didn't have a dentist. Dr Bull and his staff were beyond helpful and kind, they stayed late waiting for us to arrive. Dr Bull was very patient, explaining everything to our 7-year old as he examined her tooth. As a result, she was relaxed and overall it was a hugely positive experience for her (and us!) I highly recommend his services!

flag | Submitted October 28, 2016

At least two dental assistants made several rude remarks about a child with special needs over the phone. Children that are fearful of the dental environment require patience and understanding. Families of those children also require understanding and support from dental team members. These slanderous acts are extremely unprofessional and it disgusts me that they are out there being terrible as humans and creating such a horrid image for healthcare professionals. I wish I knew their full names to report them to the regulatory college- I suspect one may have been named 'Ramona'. Please be very aware.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2016

Try another place... they are not bad with children, yet not particularly good with them either. Some sarcastic remarks were said to Mom that were a bit disrespectful, even if unintended. There is no pro-active discussions regarding placement of incoming teeth, whereas the second opinion we sought brought it up to us without us even having to mention it. Questions or requests (even if small) seem to be a problem from both dentist and front desk. A reputable practice but not exceptional.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2016

Dr Bull is a patient and friendly Doctor. The same cannot be said about the receptionists who work the front desk. Curt, unaccommodating and borderline rude. They have a way of making you feel bad for even the smallest request (booking another appointment). Hard to believe such unfriendly behaviour is tolerated by the other staff.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2015

Dr. Bull is extremely approachable, very flexible. He sits down with parents (grandparents) after each visit, gives information, & answers all questions without rushing. I am surprised at some of these reviews & advise that parents be very straightforward, ask questions, express doubts directly. He WILL listen, completely non-intimidating. My grandchildren love going to see Dr. Bull. He & his assistants have created a very supportive, fear-free environment, establishing in children very positive attitudes about dental appointments & dental care.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2015