Ratings for Dr. Norman Bull

I do not recommend Dr Bull for children if they are nervous at all about a dental procedure. I brought my six-year-old son to get a filling done, on the referral of our family doctor. My son is not a terribly difficult child, but he was upset that there was a needle involved. Dr Bull had me give him a sedative the night before and another one the morning of the appointment. He also used laughing gas and - of course - a topical anaesthetic. My son was still upset and complained that the needle hurt. What upset me was how little Dr Bull was willing to try to resolve the situation. Having invested about 4 minutes of his time, he announced, "I won't be able to work with your son", and immediately pushed me towards having him put under general anaesthetic - $400 that likely wouldn't be covered by my insurance, not to mention an unnecessary risk. I'm not an expert, but if someone goes into children's dentistry and has THREE tools at his disposal - sedatives, laughing gas and topical anaesthetic - plus, hopefully, a certain knack for working with children and putting them at ease - he should be able to help a child through a simple filling. I also found the staff disagreeable. The office functions with a kind of "this is how it's going to be, get with the program" kind of vibe. When I came back out to get paperwork for the potential return visit (under general anaesthetic) the receptionist began explaining to me about the extractions that were to be performed. When I said, no, wait, we're talking about fillings only, she looked at me as though that was a technicality and there was no reason to overreact. I've read some of the other reviews here - and *I* feel traumatized by the experience of the poor mother whose 1.5 year old son had his four front teeth extracted unnecessarily, scarring his childhood and probably making him afraid of dentists forever. This doesn't sound like pediatric dentistry in 21st-century Canada.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2017

My daughter fell at school and we called frantically at 3:45pm on a Friday hoping for an emergency appointment. We had just moved to Victoria and didn't have a dentist. Dr Bull and his staff were beyond helpful and kind, they stayed late waiting for us to arrive. Dr Bull was very patient, explaining everything to our 7-year old as he examined her tooth. As a result, she was relaxed and overall it was a hugely positive experience for her (and us!) I highly recommend his services!

flag | Submitted October 28, 2016

At least two dental assistants made several rude remarks about a child with special needs over the phone. Children that are fearful of the dental environment require patience and understanding. Families of those children also require understanding and support from dental team members. These slanderous acts are extremely unprofessional and it disgusts me that they are out there being terrible as humans and creating such a horrid image for healthcare professionals. I wish I knew their full names to report them to the regulatory college- I suspect one may have been named 'Ramona'. Please be very aware.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2016

Try another place... they are not bad with children, yet not particularly good with them either. Some sarcastic remarks were said to Mom that were a bit disrespectful, even if unintended. There is no pro-active discussions regarding placement of incoming teeth, whereas the second opinion we sought brought it up to us without us even having to mention it. Questions or requests (even if small) seem to be a problem from both dentist and front desk. A reputable practice but not exceptional.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2016

Dr Bull is a patient and friendly Doctor. The same cannot be said about the receptionists who work the front desk. Curt, unaccommodating and borderline rude. They have a way of making you feel bad for even the smallest request (booking another appointment). Hard to believe such unfriendly behaviour is tolerated by the other staff.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2015

Dr. Bull is extremely approachable, very flexible. He sits down with parents (grandparents) after each visit, gives information, & answers all questions without rushing. I am surprised at some of these reviews & advise that parents be very straightforward, ask questions, express doubts directly. He WILL listen, completely non-intimidating. My grandchildren love going to see Dr. Bull. He & his assistants have created a very supportive, fear-free environment, establishing in children very positive attitudes about dental appointments & dental care.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2015

Dr. Bull is amazing with kids - highly recommend!

flag | Submitted June 23, 2015

Dr. Bull is great with my two young boys the problem I have is getting in contact with the receptionists to make the appointment. In my work I am in and out of the office all day and to leave a message and them call me back is not working. If they could just answer the phone, I have called at least 10 times today. This seems to happen every time I need to book.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2015

Really great with children...my oldest who is 7 now took about 5 visits before he would sit in chair and the staff and dr did not pressure him ever. I appreciated their patience.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2014

I have had and still have, Dr Bull for 12 years now, and I just love him! He is so friendly, caring and knowledgeable. He is always on time and very good to my children. I love how he signs to my youngest while checking her teeth out. Some of his staff are super friendly, caring and understanding . But some are very rude! They have treated me like I was dirty or something! I would rate Dr Bull and SOME of his staff a 5 :)

Submitted October 28, 2013