Ratings for Dr. Frank Rivas

Extremely arrogant and rude. According to the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990 (“OBRA 90”) pharmacists have a legal duty to warn patients (and their providers) of potential harmful or fatal drug interactions. Over a decade ago I was working as a local pharmacist in Huntington and had filled a new prescription for Amiodarone (an antiarrythmic medication) for a patient that had just gotten out of the hospital. I told the patient's caregiver that this new medication interacted with their Warfarin (blood thinner) and Digoxin meds they were presently taking, and that it was common and likely that when a patient on these meds (Warfarin and Digoxin) added Amiodarone to their regimen, they needed to have a blood test (PT/INR) in a few days and have the dosages of these meds reduced to adjudicate the drug interaction to avoid potential preventable major bleeding events (something like 10-20% of hemorrhagic strokes are secondary to anticoagulant therapy (Warfarin therapy)) and Digoxin toxicity. I dispensed the medication and told them to follow up with the doctor for details on how to adjudicate the interaction because it could begin to present within a week of starting the Amiodarone. I also called the provider on the hospital prescription just to double check that they would be adjudicating the drug interaction because 1) I have a legal duty to do so; 2) having worked in Huntington for a few years I've seen some really poor quality work coming from the local providers and I didn't want this to slip through the cracks; 3) WV has the highest rate of civil litigation in the US and I didn't want to get sued over a potentially fatal but preventable drug interaction. It turns out that the provider that issued the prescription was Frank Rivas. After explaining the situation to Rivas he then spent a good 2 minutes straight yelling at me for doing so. He felt insulted that I had not just presumed he knew what he was doing regarding the drug interaction. I explained to him it was my legal duty per the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990 to warn the patient and provider of potentially harmful or fatal drug interactions. He then yelled at me even more then hung up on me. A few minutes later a woman called the pharmacy and randomly asked what my name was. I chuckled at the odd request because 99% of our patients would call for business reasons - to get a refill, to ask us to call a provider for them, &c.; certainly not to just ask my name. She then hung up and called back and asked to speak to the pharmacy manager so we put her through to the assistant front end manager of the store. The woman then explained she was a nurse with the local hospital and wanted to called to complain about me warning Frank Rivas about the potentially fatal drug interaction. She complained that I chuckled at her request for my name and took it as an indication that I wasn't a serious pharmacist. She complained that I was "going above the patient" whatever that means. She then said that I would be shortly hearing from Frank Rivas' lawyer regarding my call to him. I think she even called back later to say I would be getting a letter from his lawyer. The poor assistant manager, who has nothing to do with the pharmacy, didn't know what to make of it. This incident is indicative of the old school cultural authoritarianism that permeates this part of the country, where those that perceive they occupy a position of authority, arrogantly believe they are beyond all question or reproach, so much so that even the slightest perceived transgression triggers them to go on an overreactive rampage to utterly destroy the author of such. This manner of small mindedness on the part of this provider and his nurse is certainly a contributing factor to the miserable condition that resides in that part of the world. I welcome the retirement of the old guard and the rise of the more team-oriented providers, that the local medical community can progress further into the future (or at least play catch up to the rest of the civilized world).

flag | Submitted January 17, 2017

You should consider a different doctor than this one. He is rude to his patients and his staff. He is very forgetful and needs to retire. He breaks many HIPPA regulations. He will talk to patients and their families in front of other patients. If there is an emergency he takes forever to respond. He will preach religion and politics to you the whole time you are there. He will often forget tasks when seeing patients and has to have his staff remind him he hasn't done every visit things like checking blood pressure. His office looks like a hoarder lives in it. Go somewhere else. It's just a matter of time when someone loses their life because of his negligence.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr. Rivas for many years. He is a dedicated physician and cares deeply for his patients. He is knowledgeable, compassionate and very professional. I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a cardiologist.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2016

Doctor Rivas has kept me alive since 1983 when i had a massive heart attack at the age of 40 i have had 3 heart attacks 2 open heart operations one in Dec of 1983 and one in 1996 i have had 8 heart catherizations I am on my second pace maker and i have 4 stents in my heart I went to St Marys last year with chest pains and Dr Rivas was there in less than an hour.they did a new precedure on me and a catherization and i was home the next day --------this man is great he has kept me alive 30 some years this man is a fantastic DOCTOR and a good man if you have any questions about Dr Rivas call me 304-752-2640 Don Kinney

flag | Submitted July 26, 2016

Dr. Rivas is a very exceptional cardiologist, he is very honest that if you are not willing to help yourself, example, quit smoking, then all of his medical knowledge cannot help you, his patients have longevity of life because of his dedication to their well being

flag | Submitted July 20, 2016

This doctor is a quack he is extremely rude to patients as well as staff. He yells at both. His office is always cluttered and has a moldy smell won't be back.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2016

Very rude to the patients. He will humiliate patients and their families. He will perform E.K.G's on every visit but does not interpert correctly, blood pressures are the same for every patient. Please for your life and or your loved ones life go to Marshall or H.I.M.G, ..

flag | Submitted February 26, 2016

Office is run down so is the doctor walked in and walked out, staff looks like they are on drugs

flag | Submitted December 14, 2015

Go to Marshall health and see a fresh new cardiologist, this man is to old and has issues wouldn't recommend him to a dog !

flag | Submitted December 10, 2015

This doctor is to old to be still in business And from what I hear losing his mind ! Go to Marshall Health ! See a good doctor there Mark Studeny

flag | Submitted December 7, 2015

Dr. Frank Rivas's Credentials

• Univ Central De Venezuela, Esc De Med "luis Razetti", Caracas (Grad. 1964)