Ratings for Dr. Paul B. Mitchell

Dr. Mitchell did a spinal fusion on me in 2006 and put in an implant full of bone growth hormone causing my fusion to overgrow terribly and crippling me. He then proceeded to LIE about it, telling me that "fusions can cause a false joint" when he knew darn well it was the bone growth cr@p he put in my spine. He continuously covered it up and I didn't find out until September of 2015 when a law firm called me to ask if I had the bone growth and I said I didn't because it was contraindicated for me but surgical notes from Norfolk General confirmed that he DID use the bone growth cr@p and LIED TO ME REPEATEDLY FOR A DECADE to avoid being sued for malpractice--here's the best part--he used an el cheapo brand X implant but filled it with bone growth hormone I should never have had and did not admit it to other doctors seeking my records WHO WOULD NOT TREAT ME BECAUSE OF THE LIES TOLD TO THEM BY DR. MITCHELL. I have been in horrible pain for 10 years and this man should not have a license to practice medicine. When I had to move to Illinois, he mailed oxycontin prescriptions to me to keep me quiet. He is an incompetent doctor and a LIAR and his lies to me took him past the statute of limitations where I could sue him for crippling me and lying about it so he benefited from lying to me, but don't go to him or if you have, get your surgical records from the hospital so you can find out what he REALLY did to you while you were sleeping and trusting him. He's a hack, a liar and a lousy surgeon--don't make the mistake I did!

flag | Submitted September 9, 2016

I had a previous surgery in Portsmouth Hospital for a herniated disc, after that surgery I had side effects, I started to walk with a cane. So after looking for a civil doctor I went to see this doctor Pazzela, who was a joke of a physician, he was very disrespectful,and did not see anything wrong with my MRI or my XR's. He had a very limited knowledge on the spine, and he cynic person with me. Almost laughing about my symptoms. Finally I went to see Dr. P. Mitchell and in 2 min. of looking at my XR's he diagnosed me with SI (Sacro-Illeac Syndrome) He sent me for some testing to be done, and in fact that was he area that needed to be corrected. He put 2 screws, I am in convalencent time, healing time. SO I have a lot of faith in his knowledge and most of all on his medical attention to the patients. He is really a very smart man, very humble,a nd with an excellent here, he listen to his patients and I m just waiting to heal following his instructions. Please do not waste your time going to see and other neurosurgeon, Dr. Mitchell is the best Spine Dr. in USA. I appreciate all his care and knowledge. I feel very sorry for the other patients who do not have the fortune of having Dr. Mitchell as his physician. What a gift, he is a God sent for me! V/r Alexis Fountain

flag | Submitted August 15, 2016

DR.PAUL MITCHELL IS AN EXCELLENT DOCTOR I BEEN SEEING DOCTOR MITCHELL SINCE 2010 AND NOW 2014 HE ORDER A LOT OF TESTS TO SEE WHY I AM HAVING BACK PAIN. I JUST RECENTLY GOT A LUMBER DISCOGRAM PROCEDURES DONE ON 6/26/2014.I found out that I have Degenerative disk disease and now doctor Mitchell is going to do surgery. I been dealing with this pain for 3 yrs. Until it got so bad I had to be put in a wheelchair. I got so depressed cause I couldn't do nothing. My legs go weak and now doctor Mitchell going to do the surgery so I can turn my life around and do the things with my son..i thank god for excellence doctor. .His staff is wonderful. I would recommend that people having back problems should go see doctor Mitchell he took the time to listen to me and helping me with. My back pains.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2014

Dr. Paul Mitchell is a wonderful, outstanding, and God-sent doctor. He listened me and arranged for testing to be done to get to the root of my back problem. I had seen five doctors about my back, until someone reccommended Dr. Paul Mitchell to me. He was the only doctor out of the five doctors found the problem what was causing my pain. He listened to me when I told him when I would have the pain, therefore and he followed up with the testing needed to find out what was going on with my back. He found a slipped disc moving back and forth hitting that main nerve causing pain in my hips and legs. He performed surgery July 2010. I am pain free today and I thank God every day for Dr. Paul Mitchell and his gift from God and his God given skills as a doctor. I tell others about him all the time.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2011

Dr. Mitchell is great, especially if you are looking for a doctor who truly cares about his patients. I made an appointment with him after finding him on this website. I had an emergency T12-L1 spinal fusion with an ortho doctor from another practice in January and the pain never went away and my other doctor gave up on me, and when I went to see Dr. Mitchell he gave me hope that I would get better. He also told me that my L5-S1 herniation was pretty serious, whereas my previous doctor said it was nothing and shouldn't have causde me pain. Dr. M was very patient and answered many questions that my old doctor had refused to give me a straight answer to. He ordered another MRI and CT so I wouldn't have to go through another myelogram and suggested that I have another fusion on my L5-S1 disc, and also suggested that I have the screws and rods from my old surgery removed to attempt to rid me of some pain. Surgery was 08/2010. I still have some pain but Dr. M gives me hope for the future.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2010

Great Doctor, knows his stuff and really cares about the patient. Had surgery day before Thanksgiving in 2007, one day stay in hospital. I was very impressed with the manner in which he handled the follow-up appointments. Would recommend him to anyone with spinal problems. CR Mathis

flag | Submitted July 21, 2009

i would of had my surgery by Dr Mitchell but the girl who schedules the surgery had bad p/r skills.she really ticked me off and on top of that i was in a lot of pain and have been for a year.her rudeness just turned me off after she said i don't have to take this and hung up on me what ever that meant. so i went to another doctor and got a screwed up job.thank to the lady who had a attitude and ran me off my name is Michael w price and i can be reached sixstringoutlaw@cox.net ya now my music career is over...i wish i could remember her name because i would type it here...... for the doctor i really felt good about and was confident he was the man.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2009

Hello, My Name is Ronald. Dr. Mitchell was an excellent Dr. to me. He diagnosed my problem and he went through the front of my neck to operate on my spine. A degenerative disk was causing both arms and wrist to tingle and go numb. He went out of the way to take extra care of me and comfort my family. He took exceptional time with me until I actually felt guilty. It seemed I was monopolizing his time from other patience. 2 days after major surgery I was home. The incision was purposely cut so that now you have to strain to see its visibility. No complaints here. He was and is an excellent physician. If you are so unfortunate as to need his services... look up at his wall in his office... very impressive. Awesome staff (Laurie & the gang)Just a down to earth guy. Like Jesus,he's a high class physician, I would reommend him to the world. I live in Virginia Beach and my email is hidue@aol.com. That's just in case I don't seem real or I'm on the payroll.... rest assured I was a real patient

flag | Submitted October 21, 2008

He ordered a discogram but did not forward any instruction so the doc. who performed it just did a normal one. I had been to many doctors of Neurosurgery who said they could not help my condition with another operation. Dr. Mitchell told me it may or may not help but he was willing to do it. Before the time for the operation a neurologist sat me down and went over all the tests that were performed on me and said if I had the operation I would be back in the hospital before long having the rods and screws taken out that dr. Mitchell wanted to put in me. In other words, no operation would help my condition and would only make matters worse. As a result I did not have the operation. On the plus side he was very nice to me and seemed like a nice person. However, he seemed to be in a hurry while talking to me about my problem. He may be a great doctor of neurosurgery and has probalby helped a lot of people but I just don't know why he was willing to operate on me knowing my case.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2007

Dr. Mitchell did agreat surgery on my spine. I had uncontrolled pain on Durgesic 100 mcg patches and Oxycontin 40 on top of the patches. I am no longer on patches and the severe back pain is almost controlled by oxycontin40 alone.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2007

Dr. Paul B. Mitchell's Credentials

• Uniformed Services University Of The Health Sciences (Grad. 1988)