Ratings for Dr. David E. Cohen

Dr. Cohen is an amazing doctor and saved me from severe atopic dermatitis. I suffered for two years. I was put on high doses of prednisone and cyclosporine and ended up getting very sick. I spent half my time in the ER and I'm only 23 years old. I was unable to eat any foods without having severe allergic reactions and had to drop out of school because of it. I will always be grateful for his dedication to my case. If you are having similar issues I would suggest seeing him because he will take great care of you.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2017

This doctor is very friendly and personable and makes you feel comfortable in the office. The three biggest problems are: (1) office staff, particularly Pamela, does not follow up or address or answer follow up questions. There is a complete failure of responsiveness. When the office staff (Pamela) finally did get back to me, they accidentally sent me another patient's data which made me feel concerned for the security of my own medical information. (2) They do not accept any insurance so you have to pay several thousand out of pocket and it is not worth it given the lack of office staff responsiveness. (3) The wait time is often an hour or more after your scheduled appointment time.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2017

Dr. Cohen is top notch in his field and beyond. I have a rare allergy to dyes and many plants-he diagnosed the catalyst(s) causeping these allergies 5 years ago after I had 2 Anaphylactic episodes. Fast forward 5 years- new allergies have cropped up, I couldn't be happier with Dr. Cohen's genuine care and knowledge beyond his realm. Yes, of course, I pay a small fortune for his treatment, however I doubt there is a doctor, at least in the tri state area that could surpass Dr. Cohen's familiarity with complicated allergies and Contact Dermatitis. He is employed by NYU/Langone Medical Center he is not in private practice, therefor does not solely control his fees or insurance preferences. I read many complains here regarding wait time and cannot understand why the patient doesn't simply call earlier that day for an update on the estimated time to arrive for a scheduled appointment. Wishing continued success for Dr. Cohen and his staff!

flag | Submitted March 31, 2017

Extremely expensive out of pocket and the wait time for an appointment and to be seen is VERY long. Not worth the wait or money

flag | Submitted February 17, 2017

I'm sure he's a great doctor, but him not taking insurance is really despicable. I realize insurance companies are a pain to deal with and not as lucrative as self-pay, but this really pure greed that should be against the law.

flag | Submitted December 27, 2016

I have been seeing him for more than 10 years and adore him. He is honest, extremely bright, caring - and recommends drug store products instead of selling an expensive personal brand. I went to see him because of an environmental problem - but the wait was 12 weeks, so I went to Johns Hopkins - mistake! I came back, waited the 12 weeks, and never looked back. He respects his patient's intelligence and once, when I had something so worrisome I was up all night, he fit me in and told me to always feel free to come in if something like that happened again. As for being on time, well, he's not perfect - and he spends whatever time I need, as my allergist, dermatologist - and friend. A trick I learned from another top doc, who is much worse about appointments, is to call before you leave for the appointment and see how he is running. If he is late, ask when to come in. I do this when I have an end of the day appointment.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2011

He is a good doctor with a charming manner, but his office is absolutely terrible. They overbook (which means many many hours of waiting in the office). It's a meat market: although we went to him monthly for seven years, they never recognized us from one visit to the next. The billing office called me at home to ask if it would be all right if they kept the reinbursment that our insurance erroneously sent to them and not to me to apply to our next visit (if there was one), and when I said please no send it to us, they went ahead and kept the money anyway. When I complained they claimed they had "no record" of my refusal to give permission. My daughter's acne was not cured by Dr. Cohen despite many years of treatment by him, including two courses of accutane. This is not his fault. It turns out that she has a peculiarly severe case that does not respond to treatment, but he seemed thrown by his lack of success. She is currently receiving treatment from another doctor.

flag | Submitted January 13, 2010

Excellent doctor! Well worth the wait, he is the ONLY dermatologist I use and trust. He is sweet, caring and extremely intelligent.

flag | Submitted December 31, 2008

He is very good but it is so difficult to get an appt and when you do get one you wait an average of 2 and 1/2 hours. I remember once I sat there for over 3 hours because I had no choice. I was in such pain and I was [practically in tears by the time he saw me. My appt was 3:30 pm and he took me at 7 pm!Having said that he is very good but I wish he could be a bit more considerate of other people's time.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2008

He is known to his patients as Doogie Howser due to his youthful appearance!!! He looks like he's 14 but don't let that fool you. He's a great doctor but be prepared to sit in the waiting room for eons.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2008