Ratings for Dr. Cynthia L. Poortenga

Five members of my family have been patients of Dr. Poortenga's for over 20 years. From birth to age 50. Never have I felt rushed. She listens, cares about the 'whole' person, and is very practical. I've always found her staff to be competent and helpful as well.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

I've never had any problems like the ones others have stated. The staff & nurses have always been very friendly and helpful to me. I call & get answers to questions I have & if I leave a message someone always calls me back. I've been a patient with Dr Poortenga for a long time and she never feels rushed to me. She does have other patients but she has always taken the time and explained things to me.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2015

My mother has been going to her for many years and I think along with my mom that shes awesome. My mom always feels so good when she leaves her office. Thank you Dr. Poortenga for taking such good care of my mom. I live in Arizona and it a great comfort to know she has a caring Dr.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2013

excellant family physician. Does not automatically presribe meds and when does starts with lowest dosage. Takes time to listen. Staff very good, friendly. This physician is what a good GP should be.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2009

Dr Poortenga cares only for the 70 year old or older patients. Her nurse is awful, she lets her daughter answer phones, make appointments and take payments. Her daughter is rude. The whole experience is awful.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2009

Appts scheduled 10 minutes apart; she's always rushed when I've been there. Went in with carpal tunnel syndrome. She said that I could see a surgeon or have an NVC/EMG (?). I couldn't get a sense of what I should do--she left it up to me, which was a little frightening. She left in such a hurry that I didn't have a chance to ask what might help the pain, so I called back. She didn't come to the phone, but sent word by the nurse that the splints I was wearing were a good idea. Although I had told the nurse I wasn't looking for painkillers, she said that the dr. could prescribe Ibuprophen or refer me to a hand clinic. I had asked the nurse to see if heat or ice would help, but didn't get a response to that. She is very nice but noncommital and rushed, rushed, rushed.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2005

Dr. Cynthia L. Poortenga's Credentials

• University Of Illinois At Chicago Health Science Center (Grad. 1983)