Ratings for Dr. John I. Starr

My experience with Dr. Starr was the most pathetic visit I have ever had with a physician. His PA coughed and sniffled throughout our interview and she was quite bored. Then, 90 minutes later, Dr. Starr came in and was quite cold, aloof, and very bizarre. I sensed a smell of alcohol on him. Neither the PA nor he washed their hands nor seemed interested in seeing me. Lab results were not phoned, and labs ordered were not explained; Starr simply wanted to use his in-house labs to drive up his income; repeating labs I had. I showed up and requested copies of the results, and his PA had left notes on them-"we will not call patient."I was referred to partner Ben Sucher, DO, for EMG/NCS studies, and he overcharged-charging for tests not completed. He specifically stated what he was not doing, but charged my insurance over $500 for those tests not completed, the total charge over $1400 for 30 minutes in which he looked at a cheat sheet. I reported all 3 of these to the medical boards.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2012

I went to Dr. Starr about a year 5/09 to 5/10. Things were never really comfortable there(staff rude, waits, questions not fullyy answered, although the lab guy, Patrick, was nice) But what caused me to stop going was when I called to ask for help about my swollen glands in tongue, mouth and jaw that were severly involved.I spoke to Lisa/Lesa twice and she offered no help. The parting shot from her was, we don't treat that. Well good luck with that. Their websites states that this is one of the conditions they treat. So I decided I needed a more compassionate office. Here it is 12/10 still having issues, but I found a wonderful Rheumy that has helped and answers my questions, and his staff is nice.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2010

I think Dr. Starr is a great rhematologist...He is the most thorough doctor i have ever been to, and i finally got the right diagnosis and treatment.For the first time, i can move freely...thanks to Dr.l Starr

flag | Submitted August 17, 2010

I have been a patient of Dr. Starr for 8 years now, and he has never been 2 hours late, NOT one time.He is an excellent doctor, and he has helped my arthritic condition more than anyone else i have been to. I think there are some people here who go around complaining about every doctor they see.I think Dr. Starr is wonderful. thank you.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2010

Dr. Starr is not a warm and fuzzy man. He is rather quiet and to the point, and genuine and down to earth.What i really liked about him is that he gives the most thorough exam, and is a great diagnoser. I have many different medical problems, and have to see many specialists. He is the only one who found a diagnosis where many other doctors missed. I am grateful to Dr. Starr and grateful to have found him.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2010

After seeing Dr.Starr's PA, it went downhill from there. She insisted I have RLS and I knew that I did not. She was then rude in front of the Dr. Upon leaving the office I tried to ask him another question and waited while anothe patient tried as well. He simply walked away as both of us were calling his name. I won't be back and told my referring Dr.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2010

I disagree with the other negative posts. This doctor explained everything well, and he gave me an injection on my knee that i hardly felt. This injection is usually very painful. He was kind an gentle with me, and i thought he was very professional.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2009

I also have to agree that this doctor was very unprofessional. He was over an hour late each time I saw him, and he never had my tests results available at the appropriate visit. The times he did have results available, he appeared to seem annoyed when the results or treatment was questioned. He didnt feel it was necessary to explain, and was noticeably aggrevated when he had to do so.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2009

This doctor is very unprofessional,disorganized and rude. I had tests done...took weeks to get in to be seen. When i did..he didnt have the reports or results of my tests.Very unprofessional, asked me inappropriated questions.Ive had this problem for months just cause he did Huge waste of time.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2009

Dr.Starr was always late. I spent 2 hours each time waiting on him, he is a very rude and sarcasticman. He acts like you really dont have pain , put me on a very dangeros med, went for second opion and didnt even have that disease. He refused to forward records to new doctor still to this day

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

Dr. John I. Starr's Credentials

• Howard University College Of Medicine (Grad. 1976)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal