Ratings for Dr. George Benes

I will have a major operation on March 31. The office staff was supposed to fax the result of a colonoscopy and EGD to my surgeon. I was promised face to face that this will be taken care of as of yesterday and would receive a call back to confirm. I never received a phone yesterday. And I needed to call today to find out that the result still had not been faxed to the surgeon. There are many things which need to be taken care of prior to an operation. This was an additional stress situation. I am very disappointed. The staff is very nice, but promises are not kept. I feel that I was lied to.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2017

I had 3 colonoscopies performed by Dr. Benes. The procedures went well. My big disappointment was during my third colonoscopy. My first 2 were done using a demerol/valium cocktail as an anaesthetic and I felt great afterwards. On the day of my third colonoscopy a nurse provided me with a consent and release form to use a general anaesthesia. I told her I wanted the cocktail I had before. She said I'd have to have the general anaesthesia now and I'd have to sign the form indicating I understood all the risks and gave my permission. I told her NOW isn't the time to give me this form or alert me to the type anaesthesia I would be given. I just spent a horrible day fasting taking a terrible colon prep and now you want me to sign a form acknowledging the risks and giving my permission. She said I either sign the form or the colonoscopy will be done without anaesthesia. I told her the doctor is holding me hostage. My choices were to sign the form, have the procedure done without anaesthesia or cancel and find another doctor. I signed because I wasn't going to go through the prep again at another time. I did however choose another dr. for the next time. I should also say I felt terrible after the general anaesthesia. It took about 4 - 5 hours before I started feeling better.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2016

office staff very poor they do not return phone calls when you leave a message

flag | Submitted July 6, 2014

The first time I visited Dr. Benes he had his dog with him in his office-it was unusual but no issue for me as I am an animal lover. He did 2 endoscopies and 1 colonoscopy on me for my issues and I felt he was thorough and competent in his diagnosis and treatment. I would recommend him without reservation.

flag | Submitted May 12, 2011

I have been seen by Dr. Benes for over ten years. He has performed several procedures during that time, and I have also seen him in his office. He has always been very pleasant before and after the procedures and also in his office. He usually has some kind of joke before a procedure. I have never seen nor heard him yell at either a patient or a staff member. The only negative is that sometimes he runs late on his office appointments. However, when it's your turn, he gives you the time you need to understand everything discussed.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2010

I have a complex medical history. Rather than check it out, he made a snap judgment that these were psychological problem. When I didn't agree, he began shouting at me. While in waiting room, I and other patients could hear doctor shouting at a stuff member from in back part of office. No testing done. Missed colon polyp of the kind that can become cancerous.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2008

Dr. Benes is trouble. After waiting ridiculous lengths in the waiting room, I was called back to the exam room only for the doctor to tell me I wouldn't be coming back to see him any longer if I missed one more appointment. (I had only missed two and called in each time.) His response to my severe gastritis has been to prescribe more medicine, not send out for studies or anything. When I tried to change GI doctors, his office took forever to transfer my records. Stay away!

flag | Submitted June 13, 2007

George has taken care of me for over 10 yrs. He has a sense of humor. He is down to earth with me and real. He did get upset with his staff once recently while I was there, and he came in and said to me how was I to know that is where they put the paper work when they did not tell me. He never yelled once! George took care of my mother. I took her to him because he is highly intelligent and knows what he is talking about. The boposy he did on her liver came back clean. But he knew she had cancer. Every thing is not in his hands God does have some input too. He was very caring with regard to my mother's condition and said she was a true trooper. He had to stick her three times. I believe you have to be proactive in your care. You have to be honest with the dr. If you disagree than say so. He is a great dr. My family goes to him and my friends.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2007

Does not have adequate knowledge of patients with allergies. Shouted at me because I would automatically agree that my medical problems were merely psychological(they aren't!) Failed to do warranted tests and therefore missed that I had polyps in my colon that are the type that can become cancerous. The standard of care for these polyps is colonoscopy every 3 years to monitor them. While paying for visit, I and others in front office could hear him screaming at a staff member.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2007

Great sense of humor. He makes his patients comfortable before procedures.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2005

Dr. George Benes's Credentials

• Case Western Reserve University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1982)

Top Hospitals in Newark, DE