Ratings for Dr. Mark L. Capener

Dr. Capener has helped both of my kids tremendously. My son had chronic ear infections and my daughter was in a car accident and had a lot of ENT damage. He did an amazing job with both of them. He's very passionate about his specialty area and still actively studies new treatments, etc., which makes his bedside manner a bit abrupt. But, I prefer a highly intelligent, driven, curious doctor than a kindly one without the drive.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2017

flag | Submitted June 13, 2015

I went to him for a lump on my neck and ended up with my tonsils being taken out within a day of my first visit! Dr. Capener said that the swollen lymph node was a result of an infection caused by my tonsils. As it turned out, I was dianosed with head & neck cancer 2 months later by a real doctor after he removed the lymph node on my neck and ordered the proper biospy be done. I'm glad I went to another doctor that knew what to do. Will NEVER go back to Capener!

flag | Submitted May 4, 2012

Dr. Capener is a crook.He billed my insurance company for almost 5,000 dollars woth of "surgery" for a simple nose cauterization. I was told by the receptionist when I called in and again by the dr that it was a simple office visit. They both lied as I was charged almost $5,000. Do yourself a favor and GO TO A REAL DOCTOR!

flag | Submitted February 27, 2012

WOW! I wish these reviews were here sooner. What this guy is best at.......Making Money. Fixed a deviated Septum that wasn't bothering me and pumped me full of antibiotics for a Sinus infection that I don't think I had. Turned out my problems were due to a couple of big Tumors in my head. On my first visit, I mentioned the possibility of the tumors, since my Dad and both brothers had the condition, and he basically blew me off and convinced me it was probably other things, that he proceeded to treat and make money on.

flag | Submitted January 9, 2012

This doctor is amazing. He is caring, patient and listens. He is very knowledgable and competent. He was able to pinpoint a problem that I had been having immediately that no one else was able to. I had seen various other doctors for a year but without any progress until I saw Dr. Capener. This doctor is incredibly skilled.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2011

On two separate occasions Dr. Capener was approached about two of my sons. I am in the medical field and felt I might go to him. With in the first minute of discussion with him-both times!- he immediately said they needed surgery. He never asked about histories or saw either of my sons, but he immediately recommends surgery! I have consequently seen him do this for anyone with a sore throat. "Do they still have their tonsils?", pops out his mouth. He'll try and schedule them within a day! Stay away from him! If you have a sinus infection he'll schedule surgery for this and immediately include a deviated septum repair and turbinate reduction! (3 different procedures done all at the same time so he can bill for more!) Thyroids disappear quickly, too! Get a second opinion, or better yet, start with someone else!

flag | Submitted January 15, 2011

Dr. Capener told me I needed sinus surgery. I went ahead and scheduled it because I trusted him, but then I heard some negative comments about him so I looked him up and found this site. I also talked to several people who he did surgery on and they were very unhappy with him and their comments were similar to what I read on here. I canceled the surgery and went for a second opinion. The other doctor looked at my cat scan and said he saw nothing that indicated that I needed surgery. I feel like I really dodged a bullet on this one and am just glad I found out in time.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2009

I went to Dr. Capner because I had an infection and drainage in my ear. He had me get an MRI the next day and told me I had a possibly cancerous tumor in my ear and scheduled surgery for me the next week. Luckily I had a bad feeling about it and got a second opinion. Turns out it wasn't a tumor at all, it was just a tube in my ear from a prior surgery that needed pulled out. Dr. Capner should have seen the tube when he looked in my ear, and he should have known you aren't supposed to MRI someone who has an ear infection because the fluid in the ear gives a false positive tumor result. 3 years later I received an unexplained bill for him for $200 and since it's been so long I no longer have the documents to dispute it. From first hand experience I can tell you that he is extremely charming and friendly, but he will rush you to unneeded surgeries and double bill you if he can. Avoid Dr. Capner at all costs.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2009

I recently had a deveated septum surgery done by Dr Capener I thought the guy was GREAT from the get go.I can now breath thru my nose, surgery went perfect I have no complaints.He explained how it was going to be done and it worked I would reccomend him to anyone that needs a GREAT E.N.T.All of the staff are always nice and the billing department does all the billing for you and was all taken care of I can't Thank them enough for all they did for me

flag | Submitted March 18, 2009

Dr. Mark L. Capener's Credentials

• Eastern Virginia Medical School (Grad. 1993)

GHI