Ratings for Dr. Mary L. Stewart

I would not recommend Dr. Mary Stewart. I was not the patient, but was the partner and primary caretaker of the patient. Over the course of my partner’s illness, we in general had very positive experiences with doctors. However, our experience with Dr. Stewart was very negative. We did not feel we could trust the care we were receiving at Dr. Stewart’s office to be up-to-date or reliable. We did not feel we could rely on her or the office to communicate effectively with the specialists we saw in the lower 48. Although she was kind to my partner, I felt she was cold and dismissive of me – an experience I’ve never had with any other doctor. Also, as long as I'm writing: If you or someone you love have a rare or difficult-to-treat cancer, it is my strong belief that better treatment can be received at a major cancer center in the lower 48, if only because they will have seen more of it. I don’t think this means a person has to spend all his or her time there – but deciding on the course of action there and returning to loved ones in Alaska with a doctor who effectively confers with other doctors is what I would tell anyone I loved to do.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2016

I have asked questions regarding a problem ie concerned with a watch and see on mamo, and having pain in my breast and was told ,' Iam concerned with your blood don't worry about your mamo. I have leukemia I am not happy with DR.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2014

I received chemotherapy treatments for six months from March 1989 until August 1990 following a bilateral mastectomy for breast cancer in both breasts. And I was under Dr. Stewart's care during that time and for some years before relocating to another state. My survival is no doubt due to the healing mercy of God but Dr. Stewart's good care and her chemotherapy nurses did make a difference. Obviously, I am still here and for 76 years old in fairly good health as well. I am forever grateful! Am guessing her children who were little then have already graduated college. If I lived in Alaska yet I would drop by and give her a big hug!

flag | Submitted October 6, 2013

Serious lack of compassion. Doesn't follow up on important matters. Constantly feeling left in the dark regarding treatments, test results, ect.. She never gave my mom an official prognosis, or treatment options. Keeps prescribing her morphine, even after being told she's hallucinating and can't walk. It doesn't seem like she hears anything we say. And, right after being told my mom has pancreatic cancer, and I was asking questions, she told me "don't sweat the small stuff".

flag | Submitted April 25, 2012

Busy, but very thorough. Staff is excellent. Most Important I am cancer free!

flag | Submitted July 13, 2011

Very knowledgable, understanding, & caring. She has always taken time to answer my questions & help me.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2011

Has turned into a cold uncaring doctor. She once was better but lately she seems motivated to deliver sarcasm and collect money.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2009

Dr. Stewart has an excellent reputation, but all test results were not explained and we had to do our own research. Does not spend much time, and seems in a hurry to get through with the visit. Not very comforting once you are told you have cancer. You want answers and explanations, even if you aren't at a serious phase of cancer.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2008

Dr. Stewart takes time with you and listens to what you have to say. Very compassionate and understanding.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2007

Dr. Stewart is very thoughtful and takes time with each patient. She thinks everything through before speaking and has been a very good doctor to me over the years. Her nurses are very professional and kind and have gone above and beyond the call of duty in my opinion.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2007

Dr. Mary L. Stewart's Credentials

• University Of Minnesota Medical School (Grad. 1977)