Ratings for Dr. Laurie A. Kane

I was referred to Dr. Kane by my GP to manage my Hashimoto's disease and hypothyroidism. I was pretty pleased with the visit. She addressed every issue and concern I had, answering each question with great detail and often addressing something that hadn't occurred to me. She's a very technical speaker and had I not picked up on that I would have been very offended by her opinions and solutions about my weight gain. Dr. Kane is a big fan of maintaining a high intensity, very intense activity level so I did feel like she felt I was being lazy, and after asking a few questions I realized she wasn't implying I was lazy just wanted even more activity. I am 24 years old so she is taking my weight gain, and the slightly elevated still in normal range results for blood sugar and blood pressure very seriously. She does not always immediately explain her reasoning for things so I did have to be pushy and ask a lot of questions. It took several questions to find out her reasoning for having me stay on birth control and essentially banning me from getting pregnant for at least a year was her concern over miscarriages and birth defects caused by out of balanced blood counts. She takes a very no nonsense regimented approach to things. A few days after my appointment I was pleasantly surprised when I received a phone call at 7pm from Dr. Kane herself to discuss my lab results and a course of action. Yes, bedside manner could be improved but I am okay with an abrasive personality if she is on top of managing my health. I highly recommend her, just keep in mind she doesn't candycoat anything.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2015

I would highly recommend Dr. Kane. I was referred to her office for the treatment of Graves and was very impressed with the knowledgable & systematic way she approached my condition. I've been symptom free for a number of years.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2015

I seen Dr. Kane for my Thyroid issue. She asked me what my concerns were and i told the weight issue and not feeling very tired during the day and the masses on my thyroid were a little concerning. She then turned the session into a put down session. She said my weight in front of my husband and took my measurements and said it out loud. I thought i was the patient and she was looking at my husband and talking to him instead of me. I will never go back to her she a cruel cold and evil woman and i have nothing nice to say about her at all. She is about as friendly as a rabid dog. The best thing about this visit was her nurse. We drove over an hour to see her and i felt worse coming out then i did going in.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2015

Well...I am glad to see it was not just me seeing this cold, non- compassionate, robotic doctor. It is apparently NOT personal, as it felt. She was extremely condescending, and due to my tears ( both relief and fear) she 'drew' an 'air umbrella' to tell me about going to see her counselor "under the umbrella of mental health". I was furious when I left her office, as she also pushed a 'nutritionist', even when I told her my daughter was, and wrote me for 'maliase' and wanted an hour of aerobics a day from me-when I needed 10 minutes up off the floor. I did tell her it was offensive as NOTHING about my Grave's Disease nor the ensuing hypo due to RAI remotely suggests 'a vague sense of illness' as is the definition of malaise. I told her at last appt thatvI am familiar with mental health, as I am degreed under that catchmemt-and only come for her medical assistance in my healing. She is rude, dismissive, no eye contact, face in or typing something into her computer working away from you. ..did a thorough check the first time in, as my first Endo., Dr. Kiami in Grayling, never checked anything except my neck and shakes. I am from Cadillac area, and will be looking in Grand Rapids asap. I asked on the phone that she encorporate my T3, because she seems only concerned with TSH and T4, and she complied. I missed the appt last week due to weather and a two hour drive to her, Wed. No call since. I did call back to inquire, and although they said she would call Friday, alas, no. My last Endo, however, refused a call back or contact for 4 months, so she is better than him.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2015

flag | Submitted May 24, 2013

I too felt belittled. If you ask a question, she acts like you are questioning her judgments. That makes for a poor Dr./Patient relationship. I am afraid to ask questions. I would like options for holistic health. Too aggressive of treatment. If she wasn't only Endocrinologist in town, I would not go to her.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2013

I personally would never recommend Dr. Kane. She is cold, stiff and condescending. She has never shown any sort of empathy toward my physical/emotional symptoms. She spends the entire appointment with what feels like drilling questions and as the others have said, busily typing the information into a computer. She does not validate symptoms, have a holistic approach nor offer any other types of literature/methodologies for treatment or keeping symptoms at bay. She seems quite offended if you try to ask questions or address concerns with her, with regard to the treatment plan. She strictly sticks to treating 'numbers.'

flag | Submitted March 1, 2013

I felt belittled. that my concerns were dismissed, and that I was not believed about anything I said, even items that were in my medical records. I also felt out-of-date dietary recommendations were made. I left angry and in tears.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2011

Visiting Dr. Kane makes me feel as if I've been sent to the principal's office for being bad. She is stiff and cool. There is almost no eye contact, as she spends all her time tying my responses into her laptop. When I leave her office I wonder what was accomplished. It is hard for me to determine her level knowledge in her field, as she answers my questions as if my own level of knowledge is zero. Office staff is friendly and helpful. I would encourage others to form their own opinion, as they may not be as "reactive" to Dr. Kane as I am.

flag | Submitted March 31, 2009

This Dr. is disorganized, doesn't follow through, works at it part time apparently for a paycheck.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2008

Dr. Laurie A. Kane's Credentials

• Wayne State University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1988)