Ratings for Dr. Thomas Higgins

Ignored Advandia warnings, wanted to continue regardless. Won't get on the phone. Bad bedside manner - seems like he wishes he was doing anything else but practicing medicine. His nurse-asst is less than useful.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2010

I have been having issues with fatigue and weakness as well as having problems with daily headaches around the area of my right eyebrow since January. I also mentioned that since about Christmas time I had been complaining of vision problems in my right eye. (blurred vision/sometimes like tunnel vision in only my right eye/thought I was going near sighted or something). He had previously mentioned that a pituitary tumor could be a possibility, however when I asked if I could get an MRI to rule out a pituitary tumor he said that he couldn't justify it. Instead he prescribed me antidepressants and wants to keep checking my cortisol and checking me for Cushing's at 3 month intervals. All of my labs have come back within the normal range and he even admits that there are no signs pointing towards Cushing's. However, he thinks that if we keep testing for it eventually he may be able to get a lab result to read otherwise. This doctor ignores your symptoms and wastes your time!

flag | Submitted August 12, 2010

Horrible experience. Totally dismissive, I was diagnosed with a pituitary adenoma that is touching the optic nerve. Have had horrible headaches and he said headaches were not caused by that, when I talked to a Neurosurgeon, he said the headaches were probably caused by the tumor. My vission has not been impaired yet due to preassure to the optic nerve. His recommendation was to wait six months and see if I had any optic problems and if I did, then do something about it. He couldn't spell a medical term he was constantly using, his explanations were vague and dismissive. he couldn't figure out the hospitals computer system to enter information, and he wasn't ready for my consult. He spent nearly 15 minutes trying to enter information into the system while I was sitting there waiting for him to finish. Never go to that doctor!

flag | Submitted April 8, 2009

Totally missed my hyperparathyroidism diagnosis. Blood pressure was running sky high and he didn't notice. Said I had "polymyalgia" but didn't know what could be done for it.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2008

Takes time with a patient. Leans towards using medication in a situation that may not really require one.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2007

Completely ignored my symptoms (serious endocrine disorder later diagnosed by a -good- doctor) and dismissed me because he couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. Thankfully, I found another doctor, because my condition was life-threatening. I consider him incompetent.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2005

Doctor's prejudices keep him from practicing good medicine. Gee, if you're going to order somebody to be tested for STDs, do you think you should ask if they're sexually active first? And do you think you should learn that lesbians are at LESS risk for STDs than straight women? The minute Higgins found out I was gay, he whipped out an order to have me tested for sexually transmitted diseases---and then said, "It's because of your lifestyle." That is flat out poor medicine. This man is not a competent doctor.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2005

Dr. Thomas Higgins's Credentials

• Univ Of Nc At Chapel Hill Sch Of Med, Chapel Hill Nc 27599 (Grad. 1974)

Oxford