Ratings for Dr. John A. Porter

I have been a patient of Dr. Porter for 30 years. He delivered both of our children. Performed two surgeries. Through one delivery he laid on the bed across the hall reading a book,waiting on me to progress. The second one was on his surgery day and he was in and out of my room all day in between his scheduled surgeries. He was right there in plenty of time. Cancer scare, he calmed me down, rushed some tests so he could take care of the surgery. Let me cry and was so caring and reassuring. When he quit delivering babies, I quit having babies. His nurses are great, front staff, not so much. Just young ladies working with no personalities. The thought of Dr. Porter retiring scares me to death. I don't know how I would ever see another Doctor. The only negative is that he is at Jackson Hospital which I can't stand. Worst hospital ever.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2014

I've been a patient of Dr. Porter since the age of 18. Being 32 years old now, I thought I could count on him. While for the entire of month of August, I worked in San Diego and caught a yeast infection or bacterial infection. I called his office to ask for a prescription to be called in to the CVS Pharmacy in San Diego. Well the lady who answered the phone stated that she would call me back after speaking with Dr. Porter. Two hours later, I received a returned call from one of Dr. Porter's nurses just to tell me that Dr. Porter WILL NOT call in a prescription to help me. Furthermore, Dr. Porter did not provide any over the counter recommendations either. To make the matter even more disgusting, the nurse told me "Good Luck". Yes, good luck. At the very moment, I knew I needed to find another doctor and I did!!! I scheduled an appt with Dr. Gentry in Sept and I didn't miss a beat.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2012

Excellent, caring doctor. I have been a patient for several years now and he has always been polite, knowledgible, etc. :-)

flag | Submitted December 21, 2010

His attitude is troubling. I hate to say this, but maybe he is going senile! I left his practice after several years!

flag | Submitted December 3, 2009

I have been a patient since 1983. Dr. Porter has taken excellent care of me. He has always answered my questions and concerns. Never have I felt neglected. yes, his reception staff quite often leaves a lot to be desired but he and his nursing staff are great.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2009

Upon my last visit to his office, I felt the staff was rude and short with me when asking questions about my insurance regarding an upcoming procedure. I then had to wait a lengthy amount of time just to find out my chart had been place aside unnecessarily. Once I finally got to see the doctor I felt like I was rushed in and out of there without having enought time to discuss my health issues, I also felt like the good doctor's mind was elsewhere and felt like he was arrogant and condescending towards his assisting staff. Maybe this is why the staff was so rude to me. I'm not so sure I need a doctor whom is arrogant to provide my healthcare because he seems to act too good to listen to my own health care issues. I'll be requesting my records and going elsewhere.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2008

I have, in recent years, observed a change in Dr. Porter's attitude. If you question anything that he says (or ask questions) he becomes extremely defensive. He is, indeed, arrogant, however, I believe it is to conceal ignorance. He told me a while back that he was THE physician to most of the prominent women in Montgomery, however, scanning the waiting room on numerous occasions I can assure you I did not see anyone of any "social stature" there. If that is not arrogance (or just plain lying) then nothing is. I will not be back. Maybe the "prominent" (non-existant) patients will keep his practice afloat.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2008

I have been Dr. Porter's patient since 1984. I feel that he is extremely knowledgeable and always felt he gave me the best of care. He always takes the time to talk with me and answers any questions I may have. He is very thorough and I feel like he truly makes it his priority to do the best for all his patients' care. He is very professional and at the same time very willing to discuss any concerns/problems you may have. I have never waited very long for an appointment. I feel he is one of the best physicians in the state.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2006

I have been a patient of Dr Porter since 1987. I have recommended several people to him. I thought that he was the greatest. However, the last couple of years, he has changed. His attitude stinks and he no longer seems to care about his patients or what his patients say to him. I have changed doctors and so has everyone else I know that I recommended to him. I thought that maybe it was just me, then I called a couple of people that used him also and they said the same thing. As soon as I get all of my records transferred I am going to send a letter to his office. I know it won't make a difference to him, as I am just one of his many patients and I just don't see him caring what is said about him.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2005

Dr. John A. Porter's Credentials

• University Of Mississippi School Of Medicine (Grad. 1970)

Delta Dental