Ratings for Dr. Gary P. Colon

Before selecting a doctor for lumbar and cervical issues I spoke with several doctors, therspists, and many people with similar problems. Dr Colon was the most recommended. For him, surgery is the last resort. With physical therapy and a tens unit I am managing without drugs or surgery. He and others tell me I have an extreme case of degenerative disk disease. When I first visited I was in agony and privately considering suicide. Now I occasionally take advil and do my pt twice each day. I am back on the job. Dr Colon and Relax the Back store are fantastic. He didn't sugar coat my problem but didn't want to just jump into surgery. My goal is to manage the pain and live as normally as possible and to avoid or postpone the use of drugs or surgery. He is helping me achieve these goals.

flag | Submitted December 20, 2017

Dr. Colon explained the problem and the procedure to correct it thoroughly and with concern and empathy. He answered questions satisfactorily. My only critique is that the follow up appointment after 6 months was with his PA, not him.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2016

Dr. Colon was excellent, very precise, conservative surgeon. The staff was indifferent, for example I understand if the Doctor gives a patient extra time if needed to talk, but the staff should make you aware that you will be waiting an hour or more to be taken!! Another thing I didn't care for is that they charge $50. a page to fill out manadatory employer forms, some of these forms can be 4-6 pages!

flag | Submitted February 12, 2014

My experience with Dr. Colon and his Pain Management associates dates back to '09 thru present day '13. Personal musculoskeletal challenges go back to '89 (3-disc fusion) but were renewed in grand style post accident in '04. Dr. Colon has provided not only a clear and accurate ongoing assessment of all but appears to make surgery a last resort not a primary one. In my experience that's so rare it's downright conspicuous...

flag | Submitted August 13, 2013

Dr Colon was contracted by Intercor on behalf of Travelers Workers Comp to do an ‘Independant Medical Evaluation’ of my condition a month after my 4th spine surgery. They tried to block my wife from the exam saying they had been paid $2,500 to do this. The implication was that kind of money would get Travelers whatever they wanted to hear! Although Colon was told in the 20 minute interview that I had spine surgery within the last month, he found I would be able to go back to work in 6 weeks and recommended a Functional Capacity exam. I couldn’t withstand the stress of a 6-hour FCE under any circumstances! Colon never requested records for the 4th spine surgery.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2009

Great doctor and surgeon. He really cares about his patients. He actually took the time to personally call me back when I had questions before my surgery.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2009

Not impressed. Poor hospitalization with poor followup, including sepsis infection. But back surgery finally worked.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2007

My back is doing the talking here, and it's quite happy with Dr. Colon. I had a a lumbar disc fragment removed in a microsurgical procedure. Recovery was swift, all my questions were answered, and the decision was mine to make, after all the options were clearly explained.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2005

Dr. Gary P. Colon's Credentials

• Cornell Univ Med Coll, New York Ny 10021 (Grad. 1991)

Pacificare