Ratings for Dr. Michael J. Hartman

Dr Hartman did my husbands spinal surgery in 2010 which consisted of fusing his L3,4,5. He is pain free. Fast forward to 2014, we find out our daughters L5 is broke. She is in terrible pain and miserable. He did her L4,5, S1 fusion. She is pain free. Dr Hartman is very careful with pain medication, especially with teenagers as they are at a higher risk for abuse. In saying that, she was made comfortable with what he prescribed during her stay in the hospital and during her recovery at home. Both my husband and daughter resumed normal activities after their surgeries. Dr Hartman is an amazing doctor who made my loved ones pain free and whole again. I can never thank him enough for his skill and compassion.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2017

Dr. Hartman is a great back surgeon he explains everything in detail and answers on questions you have. I definitely would recommend him for back issues.

flag | Submitted January 9, 2017

I went to Dr. Hartman with severe lower back pain and pain down my r. leg. I had been thru a series of injections and treatment, even Oxycodone from other doctors. Dr. Hartman said a spinal fusion due to herniated discs was the last resort. He said I should be nearly pain free and walking unaided within 6-8 weeks. I had the surgery and 1st day in the hospital I had severe burning in outer thighs of both legs and numbness in both feet. I didn't see Dr. Hartman until about day 5 or 6 in rehab. Another doctor said I got a pinched nerve during surgery but Hartman denied that. Fast forward to 1 year post-op. I still have to walk with a cane and have severe lower back pain 24/7. After all is said and done now he says I have major bone spurs and my back/spine is worn out at 65 yrs. old. I definitely would NOT recommend this doctor.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2016

Great doc and staff . Put steel rods in my back and still doing fine today . I recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2015

Sat in room for close to 1 1\2hrs without any explanation of delay.

Submitted August 22, 2014

The Doctor was very knowledgable and helpful. the staff was very helpful and called you to make sure you were still doing well. I will go to him and and tell anyone to go see him and his staff.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2013

Went to appointment and was told to have an MRI. After MRI I was told to do therapy and shots which nothing helped so I ended up having surgery. A couple days after surgery, the nurse said Hartman had ordered a pain patch which was fine until I had it on about 10 minutes and my blood felt like it was fire and I had spiders crawling under my skin so I took the patch off. I was told by the nurse that Hartman told her I was not allowed to have anything else! I left the hospital with no pain meds after having major back surgery. When I finally did get some pain meds two days later, I was put on methadone. I was accused twice of abusing my meds only to find out according to the nurse the pharmacy put the wrong label and I was following the prescription. When I asked and my husband asked to put me on something less potent, I was told no and so was my husband. fter surgery I was still having problems with my back and was told to go to therapy, he didn't touch my back or even order an xray!

flag | Submitted March 26, 2013

Dr.Michael J. Hartman is extremely knowledgeable,considerate,perfectionist,trustworthy,and the best spine surgeon. He exceeded our expectations beyond our dreams.We would without a doubt recommend Dr. Hartman!!!!!

flag | Submitted November 24, 2012

ordered, an MRI, i already had one, but he couldnt get his computers to read it so had to pay for another one that said the same thing as my previous one. They scheduled me at 5:30 on a FRIDAY.. at 6:10 I met with the dr. He was in a hurry to go home, rushed through the MRI results using big words I didnt understand, seemed upset if I asked "what does that mean", told me I am to use drugs for now, when they dont work go to shots, then finally surgery (which I will eventually need regardless) and sent me home.. told me to do PT which is 200.00 a visit (cant do that).. basically i paid him for NOTHING as I am in the same boat I was in prior to visiting... still in pain, still have a buldging and herniated disc, still paying on the 2nd MRI.. WONDERING. why did I bother....

flag | Submitted April 25, 2012

Dr hartman operated on my back 8 years ago and did a fantastic job i can perform anyactivity

flag | Submitted January 31, 2012

Dr. Michael J. Hartman's Credentials

• Indiana University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1994)