Ratings for Dr. Barry Byer

Have heard great things about this doctor, but unfortunately the staff was so rude over the phone that we didn't make it in.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2011

I have been seeing Byer for 7 years and he still has to check my chart to remember my name. I have never waited less than half an hour and once waited an hour past my appointment time before I walked out. After being called you sit in an examining room and wait another half an hour before he rushes in, hastily reading your file. I have a very rare neurological disease which he completely missed (no biggie, it is rare after all) but after he sent me first to an orthopedic surgeon and then to a podiatrist I demanded to see a neurologist. He diagnosed it within minutes and confirmed it after a simple test. I told Byer about the diagnosis and he had never heard of the disease...he even wrote it down. To this day I have to explain it every time. In short, he has too many patients, too little concern and too little skill. I am actively seeking another doctor.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2010

As another poster noted, Dr. Byer is more professional than personable. That's fine with me - if I want a friend I'll get a dog. Time waiting to see him (past the appointment time) seems to be average for MDs these days. When I have an issue and am clear that there is an issue and what the symptoms are, he's been good about getting the problems sorted out.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2010

I doubt most people who are happy with their doctors bother to rate them, but when I saw some of these ratings, I had to jump in. Dr. Byer is outstanding. Yes, he is busy, but he will spend whatever time is necessary to diagnose and treat any problems his patients have. And he is THOROUGH! He has an excellent network of specialists who immediately see his patients, which is gold in Northern Virginia. He probably errs on the side of caution, which I appreciate, personally, but I think he is very unlikely to miss a pickup if something is truly wrong. He is very friendly and concerned with his patients' well-being, though he probably is more "professional" than chatty. That's fine with me. I know dozens of people who wouldn't see anyone else, and I recommend Dr. Byer without hesitation! By the way, he ALWAYS makes the Washingtonian top docs list. It's easy to see why!

flag | Submitted April 17, 2010

Horrible staff, very unhelpful. Lab tech is very abrasive, unable to get appointments for critical issues.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2009

Had been with Byer for quite some time. Was never really impressed. He made a costly mistake (for me)(one of the many, i might add), however, when he told me to go to the ER and insisted I stayed the night their for what I would later find out to be nothing. The specialist, who is highly ranked in the area, described Byer's actions as "ridiculous". Everytime I have gone to see him, he has taken forever to see me, and then spent as little time with me as possible. As far as I am concerned, he sums up what is wrong with the health care system in America.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2008

Dr. Barry Byer is a better business man than doctor. Every time I come in, he's trying to upsell me. I went in for Sinus problems and asked for a referral to a specialist. He told me to come back again for a full exam (I was a new patient) During the routine physical (remember back to Elem. school) I again asked him about my sinus problems to which he replied "Oh, there's nothing we can do about that". Then, he forces me to have a hearing test because I mention I have some hearing loss. I told him it's been diagnosed for 20+ years and hasn't changed. He still gives me the exam. My ins. co. was charged $1000's for an exam and test I didn't need. I left WITHOUT a referral to a specialist. I've tried to get one for over a year from him - shame on me for not switching doctors sooner. He also tried to charge my husband an $80 fee that ins. co. don't cover for "travel consultation". My husband knew what he needed by Dr. Byer wouldn't give him the shots w/o the "consultation fee"

flag | Submitted October 5, 2007

Great doc if all you have is a head cold, otherwise you're probably better off reading up on WebMD and practicing on yourself. So chronically overbooked he sees you while literally jogging through the office. He has no problem wasting your afternoon with an hour or two wait, but God help you if you inconvenience him! Not to mention the misdiagnosis, and when two of my specialists questioned him about his apparent inability to manage my problem, his immediate reaction was to put me in the hospital and then proceed to collude with a few of his cronies (none of whom even did as much as hold a stethoscope to my chest or take my temperature), to buttress his findings and sign off on it. That caused a problem with the ins. co. and denied me benefits. Please note that after obtaining a new doctor (and new insurance), my problems were not only correctly diagnosed, but effectively treated as well. Pass on this guy, unless you enjoy mind-numbing aggravation, endless waits and frustration.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2007

This guy just listened to my symptoms and did not seem interested at all in helping me feel better. If only I would have videotaped his behaviour to broadcase such a lack of care. All I did was state my problems and no feedback. Of course I did not pay the balance for a bill sent from his office, he should get off the MD welfare list. I am not willing to pay for a MD to just listen, because I could talk to my pillow for that.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2007

Dr. Byer never gave up on trying to help me lower my cholesterol without using drugs. He was always very thorough and encouraging.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2007

Dr. Barry Byer's Credentials

• University Of Miami School Of Medicine (Grad. 1969)