Ratings for Dr. Sergio C. Oehninger

I came to Dr O for a second opinion. Surprisingly, Dr O assured me that I was doing everything a woman in my situation (43.5 y.o.) has to do. I'm a Forensic Scientist, so, we spoke in terms that we both can understand. However, when I was no longer in the subject, he would interpret the idea in plain English. It was refreshing to see that he was actually open to questions and answering all my "what ifs". He also was ethical and encouraged me to return to the first clinic where I started the stimulation cycle for IVF, and finish there. Unfortunately, that cycle was interrupted. I'm planning to return for IUI to Dr O. On the other hand, front desk staff could use more manners and admin work. The other clinic remembers you by name whereas the Jones Institute forgets about you in the waiting area while chatting forever and disregarding that I was even standing there. Acknowledging my presence would be a good start. Thankfully, I went there for the doctors, not the clerks. I hope to overall interact with them the least possible in the next process. Baby dust to all!

flag | Submitted June 12, 2017

I absolutely hated my experience with The Jones Institute. I saw them on 2 separate occasions, 2 years apart, hoping that my first terrible experience was a fluke. On the second go around, I was told that I would only be dealing with Dr. Oehninger. I saw him one time, the very first time I met with him and I met a different doctor the next 3 times I had to go to Norfolk for my appointments. Even though this is an in-network doctor for my insurance they would not bill the insurance company until I proved to them that I was covered. Having to see them in the first place is a very stressful thing and dealing with them makes it even more stressful, maybe it is different for people who don't work, but I had to drive from Newport News to Norfolk because of their limited availability in Newport News. I do not ever want to see these doctor's again. They did nothing to help me and offered nothing to me as far as follow up or support. Please find someone else if you can.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2014

Very responsive to my specific issues and concerns. He took immediate action and gave me specific next steps. Left his office feeling great.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2012

Great doctor, very happy with him. He is comforting and helpful, and obviously very knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2010

If Sergio Oehninger had to go to a doctor like himself- he would find a new doctor. He is very much caught up in hero worship. He thinks he is God with the power to make judgements for his patients and will lie to your face in his office to husband and wife to direct yes or no questions. Make sure you take your lab result copies with you to have reviewed by other MD's as this one is only out for the money and preys on your desperation to have a child.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2010

Dr. O is very on top of things, no nonsense, and super knowledgeable! He will take time with you and answer any questions you have. He was always encouraging after appts. and he was successful on our first IVF try!! Love him!!!

flag | Submitted February 19, 2010

My issue is not so much with Dr. Oehninger as it is with the Jones Institute as a whole. I was nothing more than a number to them. They paid zero attention to me as a person or a patient. They just bumped up my dosages of clomid instead of discussing my best options. I have switched to a new doctor in Virginia Beach who is amazing! Skip the Jones Institute!

flag | Submitted January 18, 2010

Wonderful doctor!!! after so many attempts to get pregnant and wasting over 2 years with other "dumb" doctors in Norfolk are Dr. Oehninger did his job in 6 months :) Very personal and clear on all the issues you might question. He is the best !!!

flag | Submitted August 18, 2008

No bedside manner whatsoever. You are just a number and not an individual.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2007

Very knowledgeable, common sense, effective. Results after 1 IUI with injections.

flag | Submitted September 5, 2006

Dr. Sergio C. Oehninger's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Sergio C. Oehninger has recently joined the Sher Fertility Institute New York and is currently available to see patients in our Manhattan office. Dr. Oehninger comes to Sher Fertility Institute New York as a reproductive endocrinology & infertility specialist who has been practicing for over three decades. He comes to us from having held the prestigious title of the Director of the Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI) at The Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine (the first IVF clinic in America). The Jones Institute pioneered in-vitro fertilization (IVF) in America, and since his arrival to that clinic in 1988 Dr. Oehninger has helped thousands of couples achieve their dreams of starting a family though IVF and other technologies. He has also held the positions of Professor and Vice Chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Eastern Virginia Medical School.Some of his certifications include Federation Licensing Examination (FLEX), Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), Specialty Board, Obstetrics and Gynecology, and National Board of Medicine, School of Medicine, Graduate School of the University of the Republic Uruguay, and REI Fellowship at the Jones Institute.Dr. Oehninger has numerous publications in the areas of assisted reproductive technologies, IVF–ICSI, sperm function tests, and male infertility and has co-authored two textbooks. Most of his research work focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of infertility, fertilization, and implantation.He has received multiple academic distinctions including a Fulbright scholarship to Rutgers University, and awards for his clinical services from EVMS, local community and national organizations including, Best Doctors in America 2017-2018, Top Award “Inside Business – Health Care Heroes, Advancements in Health Care” and the 2017 “American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) Star Award”. Dr. Oehninger is an active member of the ASRM, The Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology (he is a member of the Executive Committee of SART), The Society for Reproductive Investigation (SRI), The American Gynecological and Obstetrical Society (AGOS), The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), The European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, and many other professional organizations. A recognized leader in reproductive endocrinology and infertility, Dr. Oehninger has been an invited speaker for numerous national and international medical meetings. He is fluent in English and Spanish.

• English
  • Spanish

• Univ De La Republica, Fac De Med, Montevideo, Uruguay (Grad. 1980)