Ratings for Dr. Renee Payne

Aside from administrative staff who are typical of any medical office, I believe Dr. Payne should be under review by the board of psychiatry. She is an embarrassment to the profession. I would try and be less crass, but then I would be describing her incorrectly. Since seeing Dr. Payne,(and I'm using the Dr. title loosely) I have seen another doctor about my condition, and as it turned out Dr. Payne's diagnoses wasn't even close. I saw Dr. Payne for two visits. The first of which was all of 20 minutes and in that time she had evaluated me with a condition that didn't even resemble any of my symptoms and prescribed my a Schedule IV drug which I thought odd. At first I thought that maybe she was confusing me with another one of her patients. How could she prescribe such a strong drug in only 20 minutes of first meeting me? Needless to say I went for a second opinion. When I saw this new doctor I explained to him what had happened and he gave me a puzzled look nothing more. He was very professional and I suppose thought it best not to judge. I've never been better, but I want all to be warned. BTW I since learned that she attended a school outside of the US. Medical School: Universidad Nacional Pedro Henriquez which is probably the reason. Thank you

flag | Submitted March 13, 2015

She explored many options with me, and we ended up with a combination that was and is very good given my complications. As I am an older patient, she recommends further counseling, but does more than enough one on one discussion for me. I must say I am very happy with the way things are turning out.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2014

Ive been seeing Dr Payne for about 3 years now and at first I agree she was quite disconnected it seemed. Once I opened up and talked in more detail about symptoms and treatment plan she has provided the nest care I've had from a psych med doctor. It up to the individual to take control of his/her own health care, ask questions, she is more than happy to discuss options and wont push one form of treatment over the other, which I am grateful for. Ive had way too many med docs only prescribe what THEY thought I should take even when the side effects were horrible and it affected my quality of life. Dr Payne is more than willing to explore all options.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2013

Dr. Payne seems to be very unsympathetic. She is condescending, and throws medication around without taking into account how the patient might feel. She is an old crotchety woman who really has no desire to help.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2009

I also saw Dr. Payne for a couple of years while I was in the DC area. I liked her a lot. She's not a counselor and does not provide counseling-- just med services. However, she is knowledgeable about medications & new treatments. I found that she listened to me and respected my views.

flag | Submitted May 27, 2009

I saw Dr. Payne for about 2 years, and I thought she was fine. In response to the other commenter, I would point out that Dr. Payne's job is NOT to counsel people. She told me that she recommends that her patients see a psychologist in addition to seeing her. I also found her to be empathetic. She's not overly warm, but she is professional and ethical.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2007

This psychiatrist believes in simply prescribing her patients many psychotropic medications - without even warning of the potential side effects. treats her patients as human guinea pigs. not very caring or validating of mental health issues such as depression. patient beware - educate yourself before taking this doctor's advice to simply over-medicate your problems. does not offer psychotherapy at the same time. only brief "med-check" visits. there are better psychs out there that will truly be concerned with your problems and want to help you overcome them.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2005