Ratings for Dr. Robert J. Birnbaum

Dr. Birnbaum is kind, empathic, knowledgeable and all-around wonderful. One of the best in Boston (not just according to me, but I know other psychiatrists who highly recommend Dr. Birnbaum). Really the best of the best.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2014

Great doctor and person. He knows medications, is kind and attentive. Highly recommend!

flag | Submitted September 17, 2011

flag | Submitted December 23, 2009

Great doctor. Attentive, intelligent and helpful. Always provides me with updates on any medications that might be more useful for me and also makes me aware of potential risks of medication. Is kind and really knows his stuff. I couldn't disagree more with the two posts before this one!

flag | Submitted November 28, 2006

This doctor saw me after a referral from another psych. at McLean. Dr. Birnbaum was extremely arrogant, condescending, and appeared to pay no attention whatsoever to anything I said. My mother was with me. When he said that he was going to put me on a med. commonly used for schizophrenia (I have bipolar dx), my mother merely said "Isn't that medicine used for schizohrenics?" Birnbaum glared at her, then told her to leave room. After she left, he told me that my mother was the source of many of my problems (he had neve met her or me before),and that she was "overbearing and controlling". When I experienced side effects from meds he gave me and asked re lower doses, he told me "mental patients don't decide how to treat themselves. You will do as you are told or I don't want to see you back here again." He was one of the rudest doctors I have ever met.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2006

The doctors focus was always on the medication, each visit I was advised to up my dosage.Nothing else was discussed, just the medication, effectiveness,etc.When the medicine was found to cause liver damage and widely publicized in the news did I get a notice? No.Through a failure to listen to me, he also got my history wrong from visit to visit.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2005

Dr. Robert J. Birnbaum's Credentials

• Boston Univ Sch Of Med, Boston Ma 02118 (Grad. 1985)