Ratings for Dr. Scott D. Becker

Having stomach pains in same area and trouble with my whole body swelling up when eating gave me meds for ibs with constipation. But still having problems went back did an endoscope. Then went back again to office followed his instructions to go next door to get a c.f. scan that showed something but said that can't be the problem then another test and that showed a problem but again not the problem next did another endoscope again not enough info wanted to do another test I wanted to know how going to solve problem could not give me an answer but the first 2 test did show something and we tried to tell him that I went through these symptoms before and after they did that surgery no problem with anything no meds ECT but showed all symptoms like I had before Oh, I was sent to er for test Runs test then need a more extensive test another problem was why could I not do all these test as out patient instead I felt like running up a bill and no answers as a matter of fact my husband had to call the administration because for 3 days wanted to talk the Dr and eould not talk or call him other staff eould relsy messages but dr never call him back finally on 4 day when Dr came in was very rude and the other Dr that was working with this with him was very rude and bad also at the hospital I will be looking for another

flag | Submitted September 14, 2017

I saw Dr. Becker for newly onset stomach pains that I'd had for about a month. Unfortunately, we clashed from the very beginning which is why I am giving a low review. For background, I have undergone treatment through a functional MD for chronic malaise and many other symptoms. I did not expect a conventional doctor to embrace my "alternative" treatment, but I was not prepared for the hostility and disrespect that I encountered. The majority of my appointment I was interrogated about my prior treatment way beyond what was relevant to the issue at hand. Every step of the way Dr. Becker doubted my symptoms and my treatment, told me it is made up, not based in science, my doctor is a quack, asked me if I wanted to have a debate, etc. What was most offensive is the way he implied that I was "taken for" with bogus treatment - when I in fact have spent countless hours in research and thousands of dollars to find healing - with results I am confident I wouldn't have found elsewhere! It seems to me that with all the chronic suffering a doctor would not so harshly criticize treatment methods that have helped many thousands of people, even if it is not something they would personally advocate. I was not there to convince him of anything - I just wanted help with my stomach pains. The staff were professional and helpful, and every other aspect of my appointment was positive. However, if you are coming from a background of any functional or alternative treatment, or simply want a doctor with an open mind about treatment options, I cannot recommend this doctor.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2016

Dr. Becker has the bedside manner of a mule. I will never be going back to see him. I went in years ago with symptoms of GERD. He prescribed me a PPI, gave me an endoscopy that yielded no useful information, and told me I would just have acid reflux for the rest of my life unless I tried surgery. Turns out the acid reflux was a symptom of Lupus that I was later diagnosed with. If this issue had been truly paid attention to my illness might have been discovered earlier and would have saved me from severe kidney damage as well as months of chemo therapy and heavy doses of steroids. Instead of taking the time to really investigate what could be causing the problem, Dr. Becker spent as little time with me as possible and ushered me out of his office with nothing but a prescription for pills that only masked the real issue. Later on, when I was suffering from hemorrhoids as a result of chemo therapy and blood pressure medication, I went back to Dr. Becker to get some advice on hemorrhoid care and something to offer relief. While Dr. Becker did give me a prescription for a cream (he's always handy with that prescription pad), he offered absolutely no advice on how to properly care for a hemorrhoid. Not only that, but when he was taking a look at the hemorrhoid he said "Oh, this little guy?" as he gouged it with his index finger. It hurt so bad I actually cried out in pain. Later on the hemorrhoid became thrombosed and had me laying in bed for the rest of the afternoon. Needless to say, I was livid with Dr. Becker. What kind of doctor does that to a patient? Did he think it was some kind of joke? What a sick individual. In that same visit I also described symptoms of spasms and cramps in my esophagus. I told Dr. Becker at least three times that the spasms or cramps never happened when I ate food. Want to know what his official diagnoses was? "I think you have a stricture in your esophagus, and food is getting stuck when you eat. You need an endoscopy!" I just gave up at that point. Dr. Becker is a hack. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone that wants professional care.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2016

I had a very similar experience to many of the others on this site. Dr. Becker is arrogant, did not take time to listen to me, and seemed to be rushing me out the door. I'm a healthcare professional with a masters degree, and have been educated on how to read and interpret medical studies, but he totally scoffed at me when I brought up any research that I had done on my own about my symptoms because it didn't fit in with his hastily formed idea of how to go about treating me. He didn't seem very interested in helping me find the cause of my problems, and just was just trying to throw medication at me to put a band-aid on the symptoms. I went in twice to see him, and not willing to waste my time giving him three strikes before he's out. Looking for a new gastroenterologist...

flag | Submitted March 7, 2014

Very arrogant and not very helpful, very judgmental and made fun of me for not understanding medical terminology, save your co-pays for a different doctor, hopefully someone that actually cares about their patients.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2013

doctor becker insisted on doing an unnecessary test on me, an ercp..the symptoms and mrcp and blood tests didn't support doing the test..It was very hard on me and after a month I am still not the same..he is arrogant and doesn't communicate well or show caring..but a doctor I cant trust is the worst...the test cost medicare $8200..it is east to scare a patient with the word cancer and do what ever test you want as a doctor...I want the profit motive out of medicine so I can trust the doctor completely again...I think you can count on doctor becker to serve himself first and his patient after..

flag | Submitted May 24, 2013

I had a very poor experience with Dr. Becker. I went to see him because I was having terrible pain under my right rib age. My GP had referred me to have my gallbladder examined. I was 24 at the time and an avid runner. Dr. Becker brushed me off and said I was to young and fit to have a gallbladder condition. He was more interested in the condition of my abs than the terrible pain. He did order a HIDA scan but not with CCK. So they test came back showing no problem with my gallbladder. On my follow up visit he basically told me i was making it up. He didn't even bother to step into the exam room. He just shouted it from the doorway. I went back to my GP who ordered the test again with CCK and it showed my gallbladder only had 4% function and needed to be removed right away. He was so uncaring and self-absorbed.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2013

This was another terrible experience dealing with these people at Austin Gastroenterology. I find Dr Becker to be condescending and a smart alec. I guess he doesn't realize that patient is another word for customer. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. The staff is rude and you will NEVER reach someone by calling. You have to leave a message and hope for a call back.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2012

He's a good communicator, but his staff scheduled me for a work that he doesn't do, and he decided to prescribe what I feel our unnecessary diagnostic tests for my already well understood condition. C ya.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2012

I LOVED Dr. Becker. I had been having abd. pain issues for quite some time. I had gone to a previous GI doc. This previous GI doc did do a work-up on me, but it wasn't enough. He tried to tell me it was stress. My pain was in my right upper quadrant and it radiated to my back. It was worse with any type of food and ay type of drink. You name it and I hurt. I had my gallbladder out a year ago. I tried telling this GI doc to please keep looking. It wasn't stress. He refused. I was pissed. I go to Dr. Becker and he does a ERCP and found sludge in my common bile duct. He listened and got aggressive and found the cause. Thank you sooo much Dr. Becker. You are a great doc!

flag | Submitted December 2, 2011

Dr. Scott D. Becker's Credentials

• Boston University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1983)

Workers Comp